It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor of Distance formula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The inventor of the formula d = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^.5 is a genius. Who was this genius? Please let me know if you know. I believe Pythagoras knew of this formula when he created his groundbreaking theorem on right triangles.

I know these formulas seem simple, but they would not be so simple if you had to be the first person to create them.

The distance formula has infinite applications in military science, medical science, engineering science,...

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You are talking about the Coordinate Plane, otherwise known as...

Cartesian plane

The Cartesian plane, named after the mathematician Rene Descartes (1596 - 1650), is a plane with a rectangular coordinate system that associates each point in the plane with a pair of numbers.

Wichita Edu
In 1638, La Geometrie was published. This work was responsible for making Descartes famous in mathematics history, because it was the invention of analytical geometry. Analytical geometry is basically applying algebra to geometry. Although this had been done before by other mathematicians earlier in the history of mathematics, Descartes introduced this theory about determining a point in a plane by pairs of real numbers (ordered pairs). This is known as the Cartesian Plane.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I always like pythagorem's theorum. THough I am told other people knew about this formula and that it was passed down by his students, so there could be some debate as to whether he was the brainchild behind it. True?

If we have hypotnuse 13, leg x and leg x+7: (13)²=(x+7)²+(x)²=0
169=2x²+14x+49
2x²+14x-120=0
x²+7x-60=0
(x+12)(x-5)
x=5, x=-12

Quite fun eh? Straight outa my book, memorized when I saw it.

Now, what I find amazing is Avogadro's Number. Consider the time at which he created this number (during the infancy of caculus) and just how massive the number is.

Your precious distance formula is good for solving equations of a circle, but is there anything else to it, for you? Why do you like it so much? Engineer?

new topics

join