It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

File SYSTEM for Images and Videos Already Discussed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Shouldn't we have a "sticky" on this forum to "pin up" or "nail" all the discussed images and photos that have been found to be explained or hoaxed.
We really do go over the same ones time and again.
Do Roswell alien photos and crop circles ring a bell?

Now, if we can't explain them, shouldn't we also have a list of images or videos that defy explanation.

People can check on these before posting. If they have something new, they can follow up on the forum with their updates. If something does or does not pass muster the update is/is not applied. Isn' this about analyzing and finding resolution or do people enjoy the round about no concensus futility?

[edit on 10-1-2006 by nullster]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
No one answered so I thought I would - yes this is a good idea.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I agree, it is a good idea.

I think that we should not limit our seves just on images and videos. Similar list of UFO cases would help, so that we don't start new tread, while there might be old tread about particular case.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
yes i brought this up awhile ago about atleast having an official UFO pictures thread. Where each post had pictures of said UFO, the story behind it, the date, and if it was a hoax or not.

Never fell through though

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There was a place where all the vids were kept but i could never find it so it may still be there.
Its a good idea tho.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by nullster
People can check on these before posting. If they have something new, they can follow up on the forum with their updates. If something does or does not pass muster the update is/is not applied.

How about we just see if threads "pass muster" as it is now.

It makes for great discussion. Also if an identical topic has been posted multiple times, staff will edit accordingly.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
How about we just see if threads "pass muster" as it is now.

It makes for great discussion. Also if an identical topic has been posted multiple times, staff will edit accordingly.

Sanc'.

Would it be possible if we put together an extensive organized list of photos and videos, to get it to be a sticky? It would also be nice to just have a ton of the well known photos/videos in one thread instead of searching around for them.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think what people are getting at is the fact that for those of us that have been here for a few years the same stuff keeps coming round again and again. This results in either repetition or information being spread out over multiple threads.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Good points of view by all.

But i think that would inhibit discussion, especially regarding new information on past topics from new and current members.

Sanc'.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Good to read others see this a reasonable idea. This could even help as a refference point for serious research by ATS members. Looking at the thread "BEST Alien picture ever?. This is a thread that would be benefit from something like this system.

If a photo/video/individual or account stands up to ATS grilling research "great"
If a photo/video/individual or account fails to stand ATS grilling research "great"

Now, what needs to be done to implement this?

Originally posted by sanctum
But i think that would inhibit discussion, especially regarding new information on past topics from new and current members.
Sanc'.

Not really. Investigation here is to reach reasonable conclusions. If someone's research sheds new light on a topic they can present that. Just like in legal cases. If their facts and points in argument have merrit, the status of UNEXPLAINED or DEBUNKED can be changed.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by nullster]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Looking at the thread "BEST Alien picture ever?. This is a thread that would be benefit from something like this system.

In defense of my thread, I would like to report that it has produced new responses and information not introduced in previous discussions.

In addition, new members who likely would have missed older threads are now able to contribute and comment on this specific image.

To be helpful and honest, I even posted a link to the most recent, previous, thread to make it more accessible.

It would appear to me (IMHO) that the overall discussion of this topic is continuing and evolving in the new thread, not merely "re-hashing" and repeating.

I agree with sanctum.

Respectfully, my thoughts.

Serpentime

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Serpentime - We're looking for answers, or not? . Hence your post. Alien pictures have been discussed more than twice to be sure. Research/Evidence both pro and con is burried deep in this forum archive.

I wouldn't hesitate for second to play that there are persons that would prefer topics remain nebulous and without resolution. In response to your thread. Why would you ask a question if not to get an informed discussion and answers that would lead to resolution?
I don't ask questions anticipating stumping the members. I would ask a question for a discussion leading to resolution. I prefer resolution, whether it be Classic Unexplained or Debunked True Skeptics are open to reopening or challenging existing standings. Believers are more likely to adhere to no explanation or rationalization.

Aren't we supposed to Deny Ignorance? Perpetual discussion without acknowledgement of convincing argumants/conclusions for the sake of endless argument is grounds for the promotion of ignorance.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I fully agree!

We need some sort of page, of all photos, videos and people to avoid.
Aswell as the reasons for the fraud or hoax, someone could still bring it back for debate. The idea for a sticky is terrible, I don't like the idea of reading through a 400 page post.

I do get sick of seeing the same pictures etc, being discussed.

This is most logical thing to do if we all want to better are picture of what's happening. Because this board does just go in circles bassically, the only thing that breaks this is the long time posters with throwbacks to ealrier threads. I find the conclusions are usually the same too.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

We're looking for answers, or not? . Research/Evidence both pro and con is burried deep in this forum archive.

I have searched, and was not satisfied with the existing material. I found it to be inconclusive.

Why would you ask a question if not to get an informed discussion and answers that would lead to resolution?

I believe I did just that.

I would ask a question for a discussion leading to resolution.

As did I.

I prefer resolution, whether it be Classic Unexplained or Debunked

I agree; elsewise I would not bother to pose or post questions.

True Skeptics are open to reopening or challenging existing standings.

So your grievance is?

Aren't we supposed to Deny Ignorance? Perpetual discussion without acknowledgement of convincing argumants/conclusions for the sake of endless argument is grounds for the promotion of ignorance.

I am skeptical of all positions, to date, and have found no convincing arguments/conclusions to my satisfaction (IMHO).

To accept such a state of affairs would be beneath ignorant.

Serpentime

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It's clear others see it would be nice to have a referral system in place. It would benefit everyone. Why oppose well discussed researched discussions that reach conclusions sink. Leave it up to chance in a search. Why keep reinventing the wheel of speculation for arguments sake.

It's funny how people who claim to be researchers looking for truth opposing a record of "Unexplained" and "Explained". If I had a grievance it would be that people against this idea would promote ignorance by denying a system of collective evidence.

As Mindsite puts it "Because this board does just go in circles bassically, the only thing that breaks this is the long time posters with throwbacks to ealrier threads. I find the conclusions are usually the same too."

The best analogy is that it's like working on duplicates of your Inbox instead of putting investigative resource efforts to cover the next subject. If people have new evidence to open up decided photo/video/person, or account, then they present it. That's real research. Simple as that.

HMMM Pefect reason why >>> Twin Towers UFO anyone ATS ALIENS & UFO's posted today

[edit on 16-1-2006 by nullster]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm a believer, and I'm totally in favour of Nullster's proposal. Too often, new threads are presented which barely skate the surface, have already been covered, and rarely shed any additional light on the subject at hand. Too often, this leads to superficial, facile, inconclusive discussion. If our efforts were pulled together more cohesively it would surely lead to stronger debate from all sides of the fence.

I have no quarrel with the overall tone of the ATS forum. There are indeed very eloquent and interesting posters, and equally intriguing thread subjects. Perhaps the Aliens & UFO section could benefit from further sub-categorisation focusing on the major fields of evidence and interest (eg. Roswell, Kecksberg, Rendlesham, Reptilians) and we can take it apart, dissect the information, as we feel. In the search for truth, it gives the truth-seeker more of a solid standpoint to make their own decisions separating the bunk from the plausible.

However, I also agree with the moderator's comments (sanctum) above - they do a fine job of collating similar recent threads and pointing topics in the right direction.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by RiotComing]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
"It would benefit everyone. Why oppose well discussed researched discussions that reach conclusions " == nullster

Do I detect a bit of dissappointment there ? Think about it some more. How would it benefit the "customer base" here ?
Any good business has to cater to the customer base. How long would this site remain popular if it did a serious scientific look
into conspiracies that conflict with each other, or compete with each other for one-upsmanship, etc ? On the other hand, there
is a fine line to hold the customers that can be done. First, lets look at the response you drew from sanctum.

"But i think that would inhibit discussion, especially regarding new information on past topics from new and current members. " ==sanctum

It would be easy to read that as "dont rock the boat" but read it closer. What he really is communicating is more along the lines of
"our customer base would not approve". But if you want to see finess with a customer base, its worth a listen to the podcast on
that serpo thing. There can be no doubt that Springer and SkepticOverlord know and respond to the needs of their customers.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
If the entire forum, all the threads in the forum is properly tagged you could easily find reference to any picture or video that has been discussed at ATS.
Any thread that talks about Kecksburg would have that tag and be easy to find.
If there is a particular photo that has been proven fake, tag it with the name of the photo, who took the photo, where the photo was taken, etc....
And then add the tag "hoax" or "fake" or both of those.

If you need more info on content tagging at ATS see the thread started by SkepticOverlord called "Content Tagging Is Here"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Use this link to search for tags already placed by other members.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It would seem to be the simple solution, and you earn points for every thread that you tag.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
RiotComing - Thanks, I think a concensus can be reached given all sides a benefit of review. It's likely there are more level headed individuals than extreamists, one way or the other.

I believe there are allot of Unexplained phenomenon. There are images, videos, persons, and events that defy explanation. That is the reason I am here. I do hold out that there is credible evidence out there that can be examined objectively. But I am also fully aware there are hoaxes, and scammers that have seriously undermined the credibility of the UFO community. Arguably these make up a large contingent of the material out there.

nightwing - Customer base? Presuming what? If by that you mean that a majority of people are more into believing than investigating. I don't know about that. There are people on this forum who believe, but I've seen them hold an admirable position against questionable materials showcased here.
In other words there is a greater Middle ground than straight debunkers and zealots.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by nullster]

top topics

join