It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could Perform ANY Miracle .. . (a measure of character)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienaddicted

They do have a language, animals, open your eyes I'd say, and see what they tell.

AA

Ya, to hear you must open your eyes. Maybe to see them better you should open your nostrils?

Sorry, just kidding. I know what you meant, but i had to.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I thought about this for a while and my very first thought was what a burden it would be to have the ability to perform some kind of miracle and then I thought about God and how He might feel because in my life He has performed many for myself and those around me.

And then I thought about the people I know that are in some kind of pain, be it physical or emotional, and I would love to be able to take away their pain. It is so frustrating to have someone close to you hurting and it seems like there is nothing you can do to take that pain from them. So that's what I would wish to perform, however, I would not want anyone to know that it was anything that I did..that make sense?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
I would not want anyone to know that it was anything that I did..that make sense?

Makes perfect sense, and a nice miracle, too.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
hey, that was a very good one teacher. Sounds like I was laughing with the idea how stupid humans can not be. something like that..

to go on with your thread, my wish would we to convert all and to leave this world in a superb perfected state. No blindfolds, all revealed. you get the picture.

go on.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I'd consider making all clothes vanish for a week.

Nothing get done, exept for a few proffessions, and towards the end of the week i'd buy some stock, after everything's value had dropped because of humanities unwillingness to be accepted as they are, nothing would get done.

And, the traffic wouldn't be as bad, although traffic accidents may climb.

Also, it would be interesting to see how people covered themselves, if indeed they were willing to leave the comforts of their houses.

I'd make it happen at the worst part of the day, say around 9:00 o'clock in the morning when everyone is at work, or perhaps even during a presidential state of the union address .. . . . ???

Ha Ha, made myself laugh!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I like your last one, Esoteric Teacher. It would be simultaneously fascinating and hilarious to watch humanity try to cope with its vast communal insecurities in such a situation.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

I'd make it happen at the worst part of the day, say around 9:00 o'clock in the morning when everyone is at work, or perhaps even during a presidential state of the union address .. . . . ???

Ha Ha, made myself laugh!!!

Yeah. Just think of it.

Firefighters without any rubber coats trying to rush into a raging inferno.

Doctors and medics suddenly without their masks and gowns, getting their hair and sneezes into patients' bodies during surgery.

Welders suddenly denuded of rubber gloves and leather coats. Not to mention guys in iron foundries.

Coal miners and auto painters with absolutely no protective clothing at all!

How many researchers at the center for disease control would show up for work in the morning, to expose themselves to avian flu, without any mop suits?

It's that "law of unintended consequences" thingy.

Perhaps that's why God doesn't perform more miracles that he/she/it already does.

Or perhaps there are constant miracles going on around us, and we take it for the status quo.

Maybe the inverse square law of gravitation is a miracle. Perhaps God has to intervene from moment to moment to keep the universal circus from gyrating hopelessly out of control.

The Qur'an says that Allah did not cease creating the universe on the 8th day. The universe is constantly being created and destroyed.

Suppose each "universe" is like a frame of motion-picture stock. Movement is only an illusion, caused by the fact that each successive "universe" is only slightly different from the preceding.

The Qur'an says that Allah is intimately tied up in the ongoing reality. It says that Allah is "closer than your jugular vein."

The universe is called the "breath of the compassionate one." It is not God, but is the direct product of God's existence, which God exudes in the same way that you exude breath.

One stray "miracle" changes everything, since all things are connected. When you touch the butterfly's wings, you destroy it's ability to fly. Interefering with the butterfly kills its freedom, robs it of life.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Greedy self interest is part of human nature. It defines us. Eliminate the greed, and there goes our humanity. As evil as greed can be, it also fuels the stock market, the industrial and technological revolutions, the search for a choloresterol-beating pill.

Does it really define us? How would we really know unless we spent just one day without having greed in our veins?
Greed really does solve a whole buncha problems: Hunger, poverty...
As far as human advancement goes we have no place for greed really. Curiosity is more than enough. Almost all scientific discoveries made on this planet was a product of an overly curious mind. No greed involved...getting famous is just a byproduct of the acceptance of whatever discovery, if you're lucky.

Buddha was greedy for enlightenment. (Until he got there, of course.)

No dude, he wanted answers to all the pain and suffering he saw around him. Its wasnt his greed for enlightenment, cuz he didnt even know what it was that he'll achieve. Just an overly curious mind...

Also, I wouldnt really ask for everyone to have perfect health. Thast like saying I can eat/do whatever the heck I want but I aint gonna get sick, ever. Bacteria, viruses, parasites help us adapt and evolve to become a stronger and more resilient species. Why stop this process? You wanna eat twinkies all day, why should you have perfect health?

Dude. There's something in my coffee. I feel so . . . weird.

I just drank a gallon! YUMMMMMMM....oh the sweet sweet pleasure in life...coffee.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
dr_strangecraft for president!

Let me be the first to say that I would use my miracle to correct all of the faults I perceive with myself and generally make myself Superman. Shallow? Hell, the path to salvation is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor's edge. Maybe with my super powers it would be easier.

Zip

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I_S_I_S, I wouldn't want everyone to have perfect health (forever) either. I'd just like to give everyone a fresh start. My son read my suggested miracle, and came up with an interesting consequence. A lot of people would have to buy all new clothes. If your height is stunted from malnutrition, your clothes would suddenly be too short. If you're grossly obese, your clothes would suddenly be too big. Etc.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
I_S_I_S, I wouldn't want everyone to have perfect health (forever) either. I'd just like to give everyone a fresh start. My son read my suggested miracle, and came up with an interesting consequence. A lot of people would have to buy all new clothes. If your height is stunted from malnutrition, your clothes would suddenly be too short. If you're grossly obese, your clothes would suddenly be too big. Etc.

So 100% health for everyone to start and then leave them be? You know..the problems associated with malnutrition might change and a lot of people will be thankful to you. A lot of times cured cancer patients come to appreciate their life and are thankful then on to be living. Everyone deserves a second chance, thanks to your wish they may get it.

As far as obese people, they'll regain all that weight in a few weeks. They wouldnt have to worry about clothes being too big because its temporary. There's a reason how they got that obese in the first place.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.

If I had two wishes I could make this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace. And the second would be for 30 million dollars a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account.

You know, if I had three wishes I could make this holiday season, the first, of course, would be for all the children of the world to get together and sing, the second would be for the 30 million dollars every month to me, and the third would be for encompassing power over every living being in the entire universe.

And if I had four wishes that I could make this holiday season, the first would be the crap about the kids definitely, the second would be for the 30 million, the third would be for all the power, and the fourth would be to set aside one month each year to have an extended 31-day orgasm, to be brought out slowly by Rosanna Arquette and that model Paulina-somebody, I can't think of her name. Of course my lovely wife can come too and she's behind me one hundred percent here, I guarantee it.

Wait a minute, maybe the sex thing should be the first wish, so if I made that the first wish, because it could all go boom tomorrow, then what do you got, y'know? No, no, the kids, the kids singing would be great, that would be nice. But wait a minute, who am I kidding? They're not going to be able to get all those kids together. I mean, the logistics of the thing is impossible, more trouble than it's worth! So -- we reorganize! Here we go. First, the sex thing. We go with that. Second, the money. No, we got with the power second, then the money. And then the kids.

Oh wait, oh jeez, I forgot about revenge against my enemies! Okay, I need revenge against all my enemies, they should die like pigs in hell! That would be my fourth wish. And, of course, my fifth wish would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace. Thank you everybody and Merry Christmas.

- Steve Martin, "A Holiday Wish" as performed on Saturday Night Live

Just substitute "miracle" for wish.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'd use my miracle to help other people.

AND #.

Zip

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
Why not give everyone a fresh start with a body that functions at 100%?

Yeah. I'd give the miracle of health.

It certainly seems nice, I consider it to be a disservice to all of mankind. Without our pain and the difficulty of the world, nothing drives us foreward. If all are healthy and whole, Stephen Hawking would never have been a physicist for example.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Hmm.... My one Miracle.

I would curse all mankind to see truth and only truth for one year, be it their memories or every little white lie they have told since they were born unto the day they die.

My miracle would be stealing the ability of people to lie to themselves and others. That's my miracle... because really, without the self deception, the world would be a far better place.

And I'd predict quite a few people would die.

See no lie, hear no lie, speak no lie.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrystalSword
Hmm.... My one Miracle.

I would curse all mankind to see truth and only truth for one year, be it their memories or every little white lie they have told since they were born unto the day they die.

My miracle would be stealing the ability of people to lie to themselves and others. That's my miracle... because really, without the self deception, the world would be a far better place.

And I'd predict quite a few people would die.

See no lie, hear no lie, speak no lie.

Omg, I was gonna wish for the exact same thing, imagine all those lawyers and politicians, and people asking each other embaressing questions ( they can still choose not to answer? ), but wait, if that happened we wouldn't need ATB....
.... but seriously, why one year?

That, or whenever a person tries to lie, he/she gets struck by lightening, so I can grab some popcorn and wear my shades and pick a place where people "lie for a living".

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
'My cat toys with mice. So even the animals are cruel. hmmm.'

homo sapien heh

we're the chosen one
we all equal if it's a men or women
we earn the same=brain
it's how we use it
days of the ego will be over
gather as one in what matters
creativity & human spirit
watch out for 2012
mother earth will clean herself
one person can't do everything , everybody can't do something
u can't destroy the planet, but she can destroy u think about that

peace

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just so this is not a one-liner...

My miracle would have to be that all of humanity could express only the absolute truth, no matter the circumstances or subsequent consequences. No lies, no deceptions, no half-truths, etc.

When applied universally, imagine the residual changes as a whole?!

Peace2All

[edit to add]

[edit on 1/22/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s

As far as human advancement goes we have no place for greed really. Curiosity is more than enough. Almost all scientific discoveries made on this planet was a product of an overly curious mind. No greed involved...getting famous is just a byproduct of the acceptance of whatever discovery, if you're lucky.

I disagree completely.

People's exhibit 5 your honor . . .

John Harrison was the inventor of the first "jewelled" clock movement, and also of the first watch-spring.

So what? Well, the first nation to build successfully build a sea-going clock could calculate longitude, even in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. No more ships starving to death while their captains vainly tried to estimate their position relative to the trade winds.

Men had spend hundreds of years searching for the secret. In fact, the British crown offered 10,000 pounds to the first man who could calculate longitude on the high seas. That was enough to by yourself a huge estate as well as several merchant ships.

Everyone had given up on the sea-going clock as impossible. Most nations, especially the French, were trying to come up with computations of longitude based upon eccentricities in the moon's percieved orbit.

John Harrison was laughed out of the royal society, especially by Christopher Wren and Isaac Newton, the two leading intellectuals of the age.

Harrison (actually, his son), eventually succeeded. They blew their family's meager fortune on the endeavor; they went into debt, and took on odd jobs to finance the next "sea clock" experiment.

Harrison won the Prize. It turns out that, while technically possible to calculate longitude based upon telescopic observation of moonrise, weather conditions render it impossible.

So why did Harrison prevail. Why did he risk his family, his life, his son's life, even a chance at going to prison.

Was that curiosity?

I submit that curiousity so profound, curiosity which drives a man against his government, against his own family, against reason itself, is more than merely curiosity.

A thousand scientists were curios about the secret of longitude. The French navy was curious.

But one man wanted the prize. The 10,000 lb. of silver that would mean his family's prosperity for generations yet unborn.

That wasn't curiosity.

curiosity is often snuffed out by political oppression, or by dogma. Curiosity can be satisfied by a convenient explanation, or an appeal to reason. Greed is immune to all these.

Greed is only a put-down when you think that the desire for safety and plenty is evil, or unseemly. If you think that self-interest is automatically wicked and wrong; that it is somehow beneath your principles, if you want to secure the future.

Did Columbus cross the Atlantic out of curiosity? Did the Vikings???

Did Genghis Khan conquer his neighbors in the name of curiosity? Did Alexander, or Tamerlane, or Napoleon?

Perhaps for you, "greed" is a put-down. I think it is merely a label that is used to impugn someone else's motivation.

You can say that the stock market is driven by greed. But you'd be no more correct than Hobbes was, when he said it was driven by enlightened self-interest.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'd create a worldwide election system to elect a world gov't, with a voting date, that enabled everyone to vote, and no ability to tamper with the results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join