It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could Perform ANY Miracle .. . (a measure of character)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If you could perform any miracle what would you choose to do with it?

You just get one miracle, and that is it. No, you can not spend that 1 miracle on having more miracles available to perform.

However, you can describe to your fellow members here on BTS what miracles you would consider.

I've thought about a few good ones, but discounted them with explanations:

1) I considered spending my one miracle on making everything known to everyone. But, then i thought too many heads would explode, making the world a mess with too much bloody brain matter splattered all over the place. That is my gross reasoning for not picking this one. The real reason i wouldn't just wish everyone to know the truth of it all is this: I believe the journey is perhaps more important than the destination, or at the very least the journey is equal to the destination. Why? Because once you were at the destination, without the journey there is no basis for comparison of knowing exactly what the destination is. I know this sounds weird, but it makes sense to me.

2) Raise all the dead. I decided against this one because with my luck, everyone that was raised would be pissed off at me to find out they are still here on Earth, and with some serious hygiene issues on top of all the problems they had first time around.

3) Anything that was selfish i just threw out all together, because it is not in my nature. However i did consider giving myself superpowers to better serve, and discounted that as well, as it would instill envy and negativity in the hearts of many.

SO WHAT DID I CHOOSE?

drum role please .. . . . .

I decided to make this my miracle:

I would turn all cement and all concrete on the planet to whip cream for a day.

Why? Because it would show everyone that the impossible was indeed possible. It would demonstrate what can't be done can be done. It would prove people shouldn't believe in absolutes which negate any aspect of existance. It would also make all the children happy, i would think. And, although i wouldn't wish anyone any harm, i would hope it wouldn't hurt anyone. I imagine if someone were in a building on the 3rd floor or something that the collapse of a concrete building would break their fall as they ended up in a giant pool of whip cream. And, it would taste good. Besides, it is only for a day, then everything would go back to the way it was, with the exeption that everyone now would know the impossible was indeed possible.

So, now it is your turn. If you could perform one miracle, just one, what would you consider, and what would you decide upon?

edited to change the word "through" to the word "threw".

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I would like all animals to be able to speak to humans. We could learn a lot from our 4 legged friends.

Don't let the chickens talk though. I don't want to hear anything they have to say.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
i would put an end to world hunger...an absolute end from ethiopia to the streets of dc......

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Given the chance, I would scour mankind and its leavings from the earth.

We aren't helping anybody but ourselves, and before we showed up, nature was never truly in jeopardy. Now, all it would take is a little political pressure in the wrong place at the wrong time to bring about a nuclear holocaust that could exterminate life on earth entirely.

I guess I'm just disillusioned... but I don't think we deserve to exist.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow. What a question. At first, I was thinking locally. I have a friend who was severely abused throughout her childhood. After 13 major surgeries and uncounted minor ones, her days are hard -but better than they were. If I had one miracle, I would spend it on her.

But then I started thinking globally. Why not make everyone whole? Why not give everyone functioning limbs, seeing eyes, hearing ears, working vocal chords? Why not give the insane a mind that can reason? Why not give everyone a fresh start with a body that functions at 100%?

Yeah. I'd give the miracle of health.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind

Yeah. I'd give the miracle of health.

That is a phenomonal idea!

I like this one. But then there would be no basis for comparison when measuring health. Pharmicudiacal and drug companies would go bust, the stock market would more than likely crash. Not to mention all doctors would have waisted years of medical school, and all medical practicioners would be out of a job. Hospitals everywhere would close down.

But, after measuring the pros and cons. Drug companies bust? Money grubbing investors broke? Doctors and nurses free of their stressful and emotional obligations?

I Like the idea

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I would stop rain on the entire earth for three days and have it rain in third world countries where, people are starving. Or maybe I would turn the COMEX gold into bars of solid human waste.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i would like to make a public holiday thats is 4 days long on every leap year. i want it to be a globally recognised and celebrated thingy and the theme of this holiday would be, i cant think of anything right now.... but i do know what i would like to call it, the world peace day or something. in fact lets make it even more interesting by making donations and helping those that need it. make the donations compulsory. as much as one can possibly afford though.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Doctors and nurses would still have jobs, because getting a fresh start won't keep people from injuring themselves. Although doctors who deal with long onset illnesses would have to take a vacation for a few years

I presented your question to my hubby, and he came up with another good one:

dirt-cheap, efficient, environmentally friendly, instantaneous transport.

Let that sink in for a moment.

No more cars. No more trucks. No more fuel usage (other than for power generation). No more shipping costs. No more hunger. Travel to the stars. All the people put out of work could have the jobs of those of us who want to explore.
Ooh! No more bus bombings, train bombings, plane hijackings! Of course, terrorists could still transport bombs...

I'm loving this thread!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
Doctors and nurses would still have jobs, because getting a fresh start won't keep people from injuring themselves. Although doctors who deal with long onset illnesses would have to take a vacation for a few years

I presented your question to my hubby, and he came up with another good one:

dirt-cheap, efficient, environmentally friendly, instantaneous transport.

Your hubby probably hates traffic as much as i do.

No more cars. No more trucks. No more fuel usage (other than for power generation). No more shipping costs. No more hunger. Travel to the stars. All the people put out of work could have the jobs of those of us who want to explore.
Ooh! No more bus bombings, train bombings, plane hijackings! Of course, terrorists could still transport bombs...

Less work in the emergency rooms. Your family have something against the medical proffesion?

Just kidding. Your right about the docs and nurses, they wouldn't be out of work all together.

And for the record, i loved your first one, too. Healthy people, everywhere. That is a good miracle.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Ahh, one mircacle, and I can't "miracle" myself more miracles.

I would grant everyone in the world multiple miracles and change their wills to reflect mine perfectly.

Then the fun would begin.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'd create an alternate dimension with an alternate earth to which only I could control the portal. I'd build up a secret society and slowly siphon off the best people from this orb, and populate the "Strangearth" with a race of superpeople. strangepeople . . . .

Maybe I'd merge directly with the Godhead.

Maybe I'd immanetize the Eschaton, by demanding that the AntiChrist be revealed on this evening's news, to the whole world.

Maybe I'd use my miracle to develop extrasensory powers that I could teach to others. Frau Dr. and I could be the first couple to practice paranormal mindsex while we are miles apart, working at our day jobs.

Maybe I'd cause everything in your home to be destroyed, and then instantly replaced, with an exact replica . . .

Maybe I'd wish for a mindcontrol deathray, that kills using totally indetectable "migraine beams." Those folks at the credit card company will never know what hit them.

Maybe I'd leave everything the exact same as it is right now, and let my miracle be the fact that a Westerner did NOT, for once, throw the world out of balance for the sake of propogating his own self-interest.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
My first thought was to heal all sick, crippled, ailing children. But as good as tthat seems, it's a band aid. A damn good one, but in short time we'd be back to business as usual. I think I'd have to go with the elimination of greedy self interest from human nature. Chew on that one for a minute.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I think I'd have to go with the elimination of greedy self interest from human nature. Chew on that one for a minute.

I did.

And here's what I came up with:

Greedy self interest is part of human nature. It defines us. Eliminate the greed, and there goes our humanity. As evil as greed can be, it also fuels the stock market, the industrial and technological revolutions, the search for a choloresterol-beating pill.

Maybe our problem is not greed itself, but perhaps that we're greedy for the wrong things.

Gandhi saw liberation of India in terms of self-interest. Species-wide self interest, but self-interest none the less.

Buddha was greedy for enlightenment. (Until he got there, of course.)

Maybe if we could make people covet righteousness and good will. We could turn this into a planetary commune, and like space out.

Dude. There's something in my coffee. I feel so . . . weird.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Greedy self interest is part of human nature. It defines us.

But what if it didn't? I'm not talking about self interest in general, I'm referring to greedy self interest. IMHO, it's in our self interest to maximize the opportunity for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for everyone.However the greed factor kicks in when I think I can't get what I want without either taking it from you, or preventing you from geting what you want.

What if everyone worked toward a common good which would be ultimately in everyone's self interest? I dunno, kumbayah crap, I guess. Maybe Gordon Gekko was right. "Lunch is for wimps".

OK for my miracle, I'll take the end of financial worries. For me.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If i could perform one miracle it would be allowing all men to beable to hear what women really think for one day. Some guys would really take an ego shot, another guy may finally find what hes been looking for. Either way it would make for an interesting day.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I dunno, kumbayah crap, I guess. Maybe Gordon Gekko was right. "Lunch is for wimps".

Oh. That.

I know what you mean. I guess I'm wondering whether even some of the really negative greed has its place in the human drama.

I'm also in a pretty negative mood; so I'm wondering this afternoon if there is very much to build a society on, when we only do what works for the common good. There is no answer to the question, "to what extent do any of us have overlapping or complementary interests?" I'm thinking of Thos. Payne here, and Hobbes as well. I think all entities with self-direction feel the urge to skew the "rules of the game" in their favor.

My cat toys with mice. So even the animals are cruel. hmmm.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
deeply.

It sounds ok in my head then falls apart when it goes...elsewhere.

The speculative nature of the original question, "What if..." Of course there's the inviolable law of unintended consequences so you never know.

But in my thought process, at the time, it just seemed like it might be cool if there were no hoardes of special interests and string pullers and secret cabals of international bankers and religious wing nuts and etc etc. Which is why it would be a miracle. If we could just focus on doing what we need to do without being whipsawed by the unseen forces of the unscrupulous corporate/political/financial you know. (Not that they all are. Necessarily. As far as I know). (Cue "Let the Sunshine In").

Yeah, I've been in a mood for awhile myself. And always did think Hobbes was a Payne.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Maybe I'd leave everything the exact same as it is right now, and let my miracle be the fact that a Westerner did NOT, for once, throw the world out of balance for the sake of propogating his own self-interest.

I started to laugh aloud, then it hit me how true it sounds. Then i almost cried.

Then i started to laugh, again.

Edited to add:

You guys really put some forthought into alot of your contributions. I'd start quoting from my last post, but there are to many good ideas, and great one liners. Good posts! Thanks, members.
. . . . . .. .. ................... .. .. .. . .. . ... . .. . . . . .. . . .. ..

[edit on 11-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I would like all animals to be able to speak to humans. We could learn a lot from our 4 legged friends.

Don't let the chickens talk though. I don't want to hear anything they have to say.

Haven't you 'talked' to an animal yet? Haven't you seen God in its movement? He speaks through all, therefore not opening their mouth and speak. On the other hand making them make nice sounds, or frightening growls.

They do have a language, animals, open your eyes I'd say, and see what they tell.

AA

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join