It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D modelers wanted for concept aircraft project

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Jim,

The one thing that's definitely going to get moved around and changed a lot on you is the wing. I'm assuming you're going with SolidWorks on this. I'd definitely place the wing in as a component(s) of an assembly with the distance from the nose cone to the leading edge as the parameter that sets it in (and then the distance from the centerline of the fuselage to say the centerline of the midline chord as the z axis set in point). That way, when calculations are run for stability and control and it is found the wing needs to be shifted fore or aft, you can just change those two set in parameters.

I have SolidWorks as well, so if you need anything, just let me know.

plane,

Have you selected an airfoil yet? I haven't been keeping up here lately, lots of other stuff going on.

Good luck on your efforts and let me know if there is anything I can do.

My intentions are to have the wing be two seperate Solidworks parts with the origin on the centerline plane of the fuselage. The origin of the fuselage is going to be the exact center of a box enclosing the fuselage. Then I can do a distance mate to all three axis referencing the origin.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Perfect! It will eliminate the head-ache when plane moves it about 14 times...

lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Is that your work in the Art Gallery? There is some beautiful images there. My 3D background is limited to the CAD part of it. If I were to give you the models in a compatable format could you do renderings like those in the Gallery?

Hi Jim,
Yes, I use Lightwave. If you could export to OBJ or 3DS I could give it a shot.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
After several attempts to create a solid model of this aircraft using SolidWorks I am going to have to admit defeat. I can create a solid of the fuselage that looks reasonably like Planeman's drawing. What I can't do is to create a solid model that we can modify predictably as we aquire more information. A model would have to be recreated each time a change was made. My work has picked up and I no longer have the time to devote to this project. I will still help in any way that I can.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
After several attempts to create a solid model of this aircraft using SolidWorks I am going to have to admit defeat. I can create a solid of the fuselage that looks reasonably like Planeman's drawing. What I can't do is to create a solid model that we can modify predictably as we aquire more information. A model would have to be recreated each time a change was made. My work has picked up and I no longer have the time to devote to this project. I will still help in any way that I can.

Do you have a screenshot of your model?

Thanks for the effort anyway. As it is we are reconsidering the whole lift-jet approach in light of the sugestion to use forward firing rockets to arrest the landing. I'm also working on getting dimensions for a basic bi-diamond wing model to test that basic layout without the complications of modelling the full D-0014 design (see first page -design with two wings which form a diamond shape from the top).

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
All I have is a bunch of profile sketches that I was trying to do a lofted solid with. There isn't an actual model. What I was trying to do was to link these sketches to an Excel spreadsheet and tie their values into equations that we could modify as necessary. The only model I had was one whare I used undefined splines and a lot of patchwork fillets to get a shape that resembled the fuselage. I corrupted that model while trying to make it work. I think that this might be beyond the capabilities of my software.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
So i have one huge question, before i go any further I want to make sure
the model is what you guys want. I guessed on the front view being that
I wasnt supplied with one. But please let me know if this is the bird or
not, and point out things that you notice about its dimensions like , wing
is to fat or angle of canard is wrong.
anyways here is what i have so far:

(I use maya but i know max to)

This model has been smoothed to look nice

FRONT

SIDE

[edit on 26-1-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Imbalanced,
That's a bueat mate.

First we need to know whether you're modeling just for graphics/illustrations etc or you want to model for the virtual wind tunnel.

The latter needs to be really acurate. But the former just has to look right.

I'll get my artist to overdraw slight alterations which better explain the 3-d shape we were trying to depict in our techy 3-views.

Cheers, that is a great start BTW.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Do you considered this type of SSTOL?

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Imbalanced,

Here is an over-draw of your model showing the D-0013 configuration.
i1.tinypic.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Notes:
1) The canard (forward smaller wing) is not blended to the fuselage. It is very thin and the corners are squared. In reality it would be an all moving control surface.
2) The fuselage is fatter and the wing unblended.
3) Small ‘stakes’ of wing extend aft with control surfaces just behind the jet pipe.

Also, the top of the fuselage in your model is quite sharp – is it possible to make it rounder?

Thanks again, I can really see it coming together.

MateJ,
No, that’s VTOL (Vertical take-off and landing).

[edit on 26-1-2006 by planeman]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
super-short take-off and landing unmanned strike fighter designed to operate from “small” aircraft carriers
re-reading the spec, that opens the the design. Less fuselage area and more room for wings and vertical launch system. Using a variable (flexing/warping) wing and this could get interesting.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by nullster]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Here’s another model we need –a simplified bi-diamond wing configuration:

Re VTOL. It offers advantages but also disadvantages. The main disadvantage is the thrust required to bring home full/heavy weapons loads. Also, it is altogether more complex to engineer and control. We are concentrating on S-STOL because it is more achievable than VTOL.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
copy that, thanks for the input. Will post renders as soon as I am done.

I would be happy to make a model for the wind tunnel test, however I do
not know enough about aerodynamics to make this as accurate as you will
probably need. What type of format would you need the model for wind tunnel test ? Im just curious....

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Here is the latest, just wondering if I can start detailing it aka adding cowlings, turbines, radar, lights, textures, things like that. This is the final I think, unless anyone has any comments about the overall geometry please let me know if this is accurate and true to all of your drawings/dimensions.

[edit on 29-1-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
realized that the front persp was off, so corrected heres the updated front view.
PS: I dont here from you guys in 12 hours I am going to start textureing and detailing.

[edit on 29-1-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wow, that's looking great.

I will have a list of minor modifications but nothing vital as far as artwork graphics goes.

What colour scheme do you suggest?

PS.
Can I have a fresh shot from this angle www.photonmimic.com... so that I can see it after tyou modified the front view? Cheers

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I was thinking of basic color schemes like the grey no paint type they use on
experimental aircraft, or maybe a plain glossy white like in most nasa test
birds.

Please post mods for this model as soon as you can, cant start adding detail until rough is done.

thanks

Heres the image you wanted

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Cheers,

I realise it's a chore but can I have a rear view from a slight angle also please.
Cheers,

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
here is the other model, that one was easy, I dont think its to pretty though.
However I made it anyways. Im still waiting to texture and to here on any changes from other model.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
no chore at all. I like doing this stuff..lol
like that ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join