It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

not guilty due to insanity??!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
What the crap?? How could insanity stop someone from being responsible for what they did? If someone is insane enough to kill someone they are too insane to live side by side with humanity.

I was watching this thing on Andrea Yates, the woman who drowned her five children. She went to trial and tried to use the reason of insanity to get her case thrown out. If she was so insane she shouldnt have had children in the first place.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
A bit of help, look up, "Postnatal Depression".

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
While I agree that an insanity defense is being used far too often to get off easily, I also believe that when a government gets into the business of judging whether someone is fit to have children, they will go too far.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Insanity defenses are only very rarely successful. The legal definition for insanity is quite different from the clinical one...the burden of proof in such cases lies on the defendant to prove that they were incapable of telling right from wrong at the time of the crime.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Not that hard to prove in Post Partum Depression cases... women lose it, and it's a fairly common malady.

Grantd, most don't fly off the handle and kill their own children... but just like people don't feel the same intensity of emotions as everbody else, there will be those who are more accutely affected by the depression.

You really should look up Post Partum Depression.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Depressed or not, she should not have recieved a "Get out of court free" card because of a mental illness. Personally I believe she should be thrown into a mental home for the rest of her natural life.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
poor woman.

she must have been under so much presser and depression.
but i dont think she should of been allowed to go off free.

i think a mental home for the rest of her life and not permitted to have any more children would be suitable.

oni x x

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
People found to be insane in a court under these circumstances aren't just set free, they are put into a mental hospital -- but they can be released at any time if doctors convince the court that the person is no longer insane nor poses a threat.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
How could insanity stop someone from being responsible for what they did?

What is responsibility predicated upon? And what do the insane not have?

She went to trial and tried to use the reason of insanity to get her case thrown out.

Was abraham, from the bible, good guy?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I think pleading insanity is the best move only if you want to spend the rest of your life in a mental hospital. If you plan getting out of jail eventually, better plead guilty or go for plea bargain or whatever it's called.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I whent to trail well not me the guy i slept with any way he was saying it never happened, Said he was on jack&coke and perscribed pills to sick to have done it.
of corse when you give a police statement and you say youve slept with them there then don't try to say you didn't do it

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wings, what are you talking about? What was this guy at trial for?

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The problem is, if you were to lock someone up in Jail for being insane, that won't cure them of Insanity. If someone really is insane, they need to be sent to a place for rehabilitation. But I do agree they shoulden't be allowed in Society until they have there problems sorted out.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We have this idiot here in RI who killed a cop while in custody trying to escape. Now he claims he was insane when he did it.
Estaban Carpio is far from insane. I regularly speak to those who guard him. He is acting insane. I wonder how he will be rehabilitated. Perhaps when they are deemed sane, they will be able to face those charges they so hoped to escape.

top topics

join