It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Oil Spill in China Threatens Water Supplies of Millions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
A new oil spill is threatening water supplies in the eastern province of Shandong, China. The newest oil spill, the fourth major one to have occurred in the country recently, was caused when a frozen pipe broke, releasing six tons of oil into a tributary of the Yellow River. So far 63 pumping stations from several cities and counties had to be shut down to stop more oil being spilled into the tributary.

www.forbes.com
An official at the Jinan city Yellow River River Affairs Bureau told Agence France-Presse the city of about six mln people was now relying on water from reservoirs. The oil spill occurred Thursday at Gongyi city in neighboring Henan province when a frozen pipe broke, causing six tons of oil to spill into a tributary of the Yellow River.

However, Xinhua did not report it until Sunday.

Officials had thought the density of the slick would be low by the time it reached the Yellow River in Shandong Saturday but it was still 27 times above the national safety standard, Xinhua said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Earlier this month, on January 4, there was a spill of cadmium, a chemical that can cause neurological disorders and cancer in the Xiangjiang River in Hunan province. A month before, on December 2005 there was also another cadmium spill in Guangdong province , and on November 2005 a benzene toxic spill in the Heilongjiang province.

I am not sure why is it that the Chinese have been having so many chemical spills into their rivers. Is it coincidence that there have been 4 occurrences so close together or is there something else afoot?

Related News Links:
www.terradaily.com

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Considering that The State has strong control over the media in China, I wonder how this is being reported, if the people are really aware of it, and if there is any possibility for the people to put 'pressure' on the government to correct these issues (since The State controls Industry, its an issue of government).

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe the Oil wars will be fought at the same time as the Water Wars

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Where is Greenpeace? Oh, I remember now. They are fighting Japanese fishermen...

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ummm not to point fingers at ecological ignorance considering that the USA has plenty of mishaps, but what a mess China is. I am glad that this post mentions this is one of many recent water pollution problems in the same area. You should see pics of this region and the waste pilled up in the drainage canals. NASTY.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The last spill caused bottled water prices to rise in the country and created water shortages as many people tried to hoard as much water as possible.

Pretty bad imo to have this many spills in such a short amount of time. I worry more about the fish and wildlife than I do about the people at this time

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
6 tons of oil? That's really not an awful lot. Does it really threaten the water supplies of millions? I was under the impression that dillution was the answer, and it seems to be built into the problem in this case.

I may be mis-reading something, or failing to understand some bit of elementary science, I'm not sure. Can someone put this spill into perspective for me, in comparison to other spills, in terms of quantity and toxicity.

I'm getting a distinct wiff of sensationalism, politicized sensationalism, and if that's not genuine I'd like to be set straight please.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If you read the articles provided you will find more anwsers to your questions.

The 6 ton oil spill caused a 60-km diesel oil slick flowing down the Yellow River, and if you read the links provided in the post, and even the poster paragraph, which is supposed to have the poster's input on what he/she thinks the news is all about, have no "politically motivated agendas" of any kind.

Here, let me give you another link which states exactly what i stated in the original post.

New chemical spills threaten water supply for millions in China

BEIJING (AFP) - Two major new toxic spills in China have threatened water supplies for millions of residents, officials and state media have said, as local governments took emergency measures.

In the eastern province of Shandong a 60 kilometer-long (37 mile) diesel oil slick flowing down the Yellow River, China's second longest river, forced the province to stop pumping water from it, the Xinhua news agency said.

So far 63 pumping stations along the river in several cities and counties, including the capital Jinan, have been shut down, said Xinhua Sunday.

An official at the Jinan city Yellow River River Affairs Bureau told AFP the city of about six million people was now relying on water from reservoirs.

Excerpted from.
news.yahoo.com...

Now my first question is, what exactly in the original post is an exageration, or "sensationalism", and where did i mention anything remote to politics?.....

Since I am sure that there is not one hint of "politically motivated exagerations" in my original post, I have to think that somehow you found out who the original poster is, me, and made your allegation based on that knowledge.

Maybe there is another explanation, but I don't see it. To me your apparent knowledge of who the original poster is, is the only logical explanation that I can see for you making this allegation; otherwise can someone tell me where was there any exagerations or any "sensationalism" in my post, and where is there any hint of politics in that post?.....

Who knows maybe the following excerpt is what made Wyrdeone think there was "sensationalism" or some political agenda in the post?...

The oil spill occurred Thursday at Gongyi city in neighboring Henan province when a frozen pipe broke, causing six tons of oil to spill into a tributary of the Yellow River.

However, Xinhua did not report it until Sunday.

Excerpted from.
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join