It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homophobic: 'Brokeback Mountain' banned from US theatre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Is this how sad humanity has come to ?

London: "Brokeback Mountain", a highly acclaimed movie starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, has been banned from a theatre in the American state of Utah due to gay sex scenes.

According to contactmusic.com, Larry Miller, owner of the Salt Lake City theatre, changed the movie's screening plans and decided not to show the controversial film. It was supposed to open Friday but the management refused to comment further on its reasons for pulling out the film.

Mike Thompson, the executive director of the state's leading gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, says: "It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film, with so much buzz about it, is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias."

Its real simple if this movie offends you DONT SEE IT. Its not like the 2 cowboys played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal under age. I bet my left leg if this was a Hetrosexual sex scene there would be a line halfway up the block to get tickets to see the flim. Now i understand this movie is not for kids or people under 18, but as for adults why ban the movie on YOUR personal bias is not seeing the flim substantial ?. Are you scared that if you see a gay sex scene you are going to let your mind wonder ?.

Im a Hetrosexual male who could care less over a gay sex scene . IMHO If they can ban Brokeback Mountain", a highly acclaimed movie then why dont they ban crap like "black hawk down" ?

www.newkerala.com...

[edit on 9-1-2006 by helium3]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Fine line on this one. It is his business and he has a right to show what he wants. I just hope the people of Utah keep that in mind when the choose another business to spend their money. I don't believe in any form of censorship but I do believe in my right to patronize businesses based on how they conduct that business.

Since he feels his personal bias won't allow him to show such a film, I would certainly feel my personal bias would not allow me to give him a dime of my money.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Movie theaters are privately owned and the owners have the right to show or not show whatever they please for whatever reason they choose. I think it's awfully presumptuous to say the owner of this theater is homophobic just because he decided not to screen this film -- perhaps he decided it wouldn't be profitable because his clientele wouldn't want to see it.

[edit on 1/9/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Movie theaters are privately owned and the owners have the right to show or not show whatever they please for whatever reason they choose. I think it's awfully presumptive to say the owner of this theater is homophobic just because he decided not to screen this film -- perhaps he decided it wouldn't be profitable because his clientele wouldn't want to see it.

I agree, there is a locally owned theather here, in a college town no less (Dartmouth), that does not show some films. However I do not assume that just becuse they did not show Episode III that they hate Star Wars fans.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm with djohnsto77 on this one.

Simple business really, as long as the government didn't step in and say no to it then I'm fine with them not showing the movie.

Private citizens can censor whatever they wish and show whatever they wish in their own establishments, the government can not.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Just as I have no problem with someone producing a gay movie, I also have no problem with someone deciding not to show it in their theater. Personal freedom covers both quite nicely.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The movie sucked really bad. I don't blame the owner for exercising their right to yank it. This movie was worse than "Showgirls." BAD BAD BAD!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
A business certainly has the right to not show something. However, there seems to be an organized effort behind this. THere were only 3 theatres in all of NYC, for example, that were showing this, and NYC isn't exactly one of those places you think of when you think of 'homophobia'. I suspect that there were a lot of regions and districts that didn't show it in very many theatres, even tho everyone and their mother wants to see this movie.

new topics

top topics

join