It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was the Bible censored?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by StJude
I understand the surrounding text and have read the bible many times cover to cover.

Then there's hope for this conversation yet!

Anyone who disobeys a judge or priest must be put to death (Deuteronomy 17:12).

Ooo....that must really hurt. Damn those alter boys for saying no to the bishops advances.

I see, well, as CHRISTIANS, what does CHRIST say about putting people to death?

Wow, you really don't have an answer do you?

If the answer is assumed, I'm not going to answer. You have to as least look like you care about the answer. Don't tug the line before the fish takes the bait...else no fish.

Anyone who claims to talk with spirits must be stoned to death (Leviticus 20:27).

Any spirit except God that is....mmm...and Jesus

What does JESUS say about it? You're going by the incomplete law. There's a fulfillment of the law you're not considering. If you live by the law, you're judged by the law...of course, you already know that since you've read the gospels and epistles, right?

Anyone who does not worship God must be put to death (2 Chronicles 15:13).

Ah, power through fear. How very christian.

You're right, that is not Christian. See questions above.

Any woman who has had premarital sex must be stoned to death (Deuteronomy 22:21).

Sensible rules for the modern woman. It's like Sex in the City was never made.

Anyone who worships another god must be stoned to death (Deuteronomy 17:2-7).

Ah. Kill the competion eh...very sensible.

I could go on but it's obvious really.

And the answers are the same...obviously.

You not denied these points Saint4God so maybe you beleive women should be murdered for having pre marital sex.

Or maybe not.

All you doing is bleeting on about how I'm taking these quotes out of context which I'm clearly not.

I'm saying you're using a few passages in the Old Testament...which is true. There's a whole book there that explains what's going on.

The bible says God delclared these things and you think the bible is 100% true is this correct?

Yes, for the most part. They seem rephrased but I think they're fairly accurate descriptions of the covenant at that time. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

You think God wrote the bible don't you?

If you mean physically, my answer is no (though he did physically write the ten commandments), but if you mean spiritually my answer is yes. This seems to be a difficult concept to grasp for some people here on ATS, don't know why.

Well you're persistant I'll give you that, lets see if that is enough.

Persistance measures strength of will, nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
why couldn't he be over 200 years old? After all, the Bible is full of guys living much longer than that? So why is it a fabrication due to the age of the author?

Oh, love the Signature. Machivelli, The Prince. Nice quote.

Another Signature I like was the (I'll paraphrase) I state we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you. When you come to understand why you disbelieve all other possible gods then you will see why I disbelieve in yours.

That one gets you thinking!

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BradKellBrrexkl
Another Signature I like was the (I'll paraphrase) I state we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you.

The dictionary says that's incorrect:

Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-ist
Function: noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

www.m-w.com...

[edit on 27-1-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Jesus wasn't the immortal son of god born of a virgin.
He didn't die for the sins of the world.
He's not coming back.
There's no such thing as eternal damnation.

Jesus or Yahoshua Bin Yosef was a deified martyr who died for being a religious reformist and a political revolutionary. And for that he is worthy of praise but not worship for there is only one god.
He was a rabbi who stood to uphold the Torah. So he had to believe in those old testament laws that were riddled with cruel and unusual punishments; yet he did save a woman from being stoned to death with that "cast the first stone" speech. I think this display of mercy coupled with his "turn the other cheek" speech was his formula for uniting his followers in brotherhood like any other leader would do. He was very capable of aggression though. Like when he entered the temple with his posse and kicked over tables shouting at hustlers for selling sacrificial animals who hoped to turn a profit. For one, those guys had to have been juiced in with the church leaders and I think the church leaders were paying off the Romans with this racket due to the fact that they ran the city. Does anyone disagree with my reasoning?

[edit on 28-1-2006 by NEGROPOLIS]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
NEGROPOLIS

The only thing that if i were you and of your understanding would have wrote at the end is "IMO"which you left out.

Did you get this opinion from a higher source other than yourself?as Christians have,which is personal proof to their claims of who Christ is?

[edit on 28-1-2006 by gps777]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Did you get this opinion from a higher source other than yourself?as Christians have,which is personal proof to their claims of who Christ is?

Shrooms and s;;;; man? heavy duty ganja man.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
One of the worst censoring things in the bible is the censoring of gods holy name, Jehovah. If you look in your bible you will see every mention of god and lord in capital letters. God proclaimed his name in the bible and wanted it known. The term "God" is a title. Just as we adore the respect and acknowlegement we get when someone calls you by your name, Jehovah listens when you call him by name or address him by name. how do you feel when a stranger addresses you as "Hey man" or "hey dude" wouldnt you smile if that stranger called you by name and knew you? this is what the bible is all about....getting to know our creator. it is the one message the bible wants to send. that we have a beginning and the rules to live by. Without the bible there would be no history of man.

I really encourage you to visit a kingdom hall of jehovahs witnesses and learn more about the bible and our creator. So many false relgions out there, but you will know the true religion by its teaching and its practices.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
NEGROPOLIS

The only thing that if i were you and of your understanding would have wrote at the end is "IMO"which you left out.

Yes, these are my personal opinions based on my own observations and research into christianity.

He's not coming back.

I think it was created to control the masses with concepts like
"BLIND FAITH" and verses like "trust in the lord with all thine heart and LEAD NOT UNTO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING". To take it a step further they tell you that you have a choice, but if you don't comply then you'll suffer eternal pain. Some choice, huh. The book itself is open to interpretation so the power lies with those who are doing the interpreting, like: Jim Jones, catholic pedophile priests, David Koresh, and your everyday preacher who lives off the congregation's collection plates and seduces all the holy-roller women who strive to climb the church's social ladder of holiness.
YEAH I SAID IT...

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEGROPOLIS

Yes, these are my personal opinions based on my own observations and research into christianity.

He's not coming back.
I think it was created to control the masses

And with that opinion your not the first and wont be the last to have it.

with concepts like
"BLIND FAITH" and verses like "trust in the lord with all thine heart and LEAD NOT UNTO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING".

Knowing full well and understanding these quotes,i would have easily interpretated the same as you if i did know better now.Its because our understanding falls short of Gods.It is a leap of faith to come to realise this to begin with.With all thine heart,knowing also our hearts as men fall well short of Gods,so is it surprising we are instructed to use every last bit of it?

To take it a step further they tell you that you have a choice, but if you don't comply then you'll suffer eternal pain.Some choice, huh

Gods the ulimate judge on who suffers this,actually the Christ states its worse to sit on the fense.

. The book itself is open to interpretation

Better interpreted it correctly then?

so the power lies with those who are doing the interpreting, like: Jim Jones, catholic pedophile priests, David Koresh and your everyday preacher

You may think the power lies with these people i dont.

, and your everyday preacher who lives off the congregation's collection plates and seduces all the holy-roller women who strive to climb the church's social ladder of holiness.
YEAH I SAID IT...

I have no idea if this happens i`ll take your word that you know it does,who out of these people that do these things do you think they can blame for their mistakes?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
GPS777,
That was spoken like a true follower...
You seem like a true believer. Sometimes I believe in a higher power as well but I can't help but think that everything we know about it is a hoax used as a tool to control the masses; while the true higher power continues to manifest itself in natural ways because it is the nature of all things. The more one understands the nature of our reality and everything in it the closer he or she may actually be to achieving a higher consciousness; hence being closer to the most high. My view is spiritual yet scientific. This type of wisdom is present in the bible, but like I said - it has been corrupted for the purpose of power over many. It's use is to make men as sheep so that they may be led.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

GPS777,
That was spoken like a true follower...

It is impossible for you to truly say this without believing because you recognised that you therefore have to believe or believed for an instant.Yet there is a block.

You seem like a true believer. Sometimes I believe in a higher power as well but I can't help but think that everything we know about it is a hoax used as a tool to control the masses;

You dont know how close to really seeing God fully you are,that hoax and control is there so you dont see God and the truth,God is not the author of confusion its Satan.

This same force and entity can and does work through people to confuse the masses on the truth,if people knew what was important first they would seek God on their knee`s and trust Him to show them the truth not other people.

Dont take me as an alarmist for this......you are closer than you think,Satan knows this,He is now maybe more than ever working overtime on you my friend.

He has NO authority over Christ and those that believe in Him.If you believe this, he cannot affect you unless you allow Him to.

When people come as close as i believe you are they normally turn quickly and say "no sorry i cant handle this this is all nonsense to themselves"
It depends on how much a person Loves their own knowledge and existance to that of Christ`s (Gods)

while the true higher power continues to manifest itself in natural ways because it is the nature of all things. The more one understands the nature of our reality and everything in it the closer he or she may actually be to achieving a higher consciousness; hence being closer to the most high. My view is spiritual yet scientific. This type of wisdom is present in the bible,

Wisdom is written through out the Bible,the Bible states that the beginning of wisdom (in its truest form)is comeing to and realizing

Pss.111
[10] The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
Prov.9
[10] The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
Sir.1
[14] To fear the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and it was created with the faithful in the womb.

but like I said - it has been corrupted for the purpose of power over many. It's use is to make men as sheep so that they may be led.

It (the Bible and God)has`nt been corrupted,people have been and are corrupted.That lead people to believe this to be true,this is the hoax and there are many of them,trust in God let Him speak and guide you with reading the Bible,and if there is something in it you dont understand trust that he will show you the truth,which can be through different Bible quotes or lifes experiences.Ask if it seems wrong,you dont have to trust what other people say who ever they are.

Truth no1 is the best starting point.
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave His only Begotten Son that who so ever believes in Him shall not perish but have ever lasting life.

This one quote from the Bible is enough to base the rest of anyones life on.

The saying a "good God fearing"person we have all heard,this and the above quotes is usually twisted to be controling etc,God is our Heavenly Father,did you fear doing something wrong when you were small,that you may get a red backside from Dad for?

No different.

ouch

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
No "quote" from the bible is enough to base anyones life on.

My reasoning behind this is that the text has been translated too many times to be assured that anything has retained its actual meaning, or that what was written was not done soley out of the author's point of view.

The bible was written by man. Period, end of discussion. Any and all men have their own personal agendas and motives.

The original texts were written in a dead language, and most of them no longer exist. This rules out any possibility of validating our current texts.

So, my argument about the Bible is this. Men wrote it, men translated it, men translated it again, men translated it again, men translated it again, and yet again, and again, and again, and so on. Finnally, men today interprit it or better yet misinterprit it still.

Put simply, it is a great story book filled with great fictional accounts of many true life events, and some just completely made up. (IE: Adam and Eve, Noah's Arc, turnig water into wine......) The best part about the bible is that it does ask us to live our lives as caring, responsible, respectable, giving people. Just don't take it litterally, at least not how it is written today.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Oops, I managed to go on a rant and not answere the question at hand.

The Bible was censored, or better yet, stories were left out because these stories held information that contradicted what our religious leaders at the time wanted us to know. Yes, they also had an agenda as well as the authors of the books that did make it into the bible. I am also quite certain that the texts that did make it into the bible were edited according to the "guidelines" as well. The bible is a book. Nothing more and nothing less. Just a book. It is not "God's Word" as many of you so whole heartedly believe. Just another book written by man!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
John 3:16 is the basis of Christianity,full stop.

Christianity would`nt even exist without it.

Which is why i said that.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
the real reason the bible has been censored is because they explain what has happened in the church. such as the book of enoch where he talks of the name change of christ and what an abomination it is. and the end result of such a thing. if one reads all of the left out books one soon realizes that there is a huge problem in all religions today as all are incorrect. did not christ say i came to take away the sin of the world? why is there so much sin in the world is it not because we have forsaken his name? does not acts 4:12 state that there is no other name under heaven that men must call upon to be saved? who was it that declared that the name of christ should be changed? was not this antichrist? just as when adam and eve fell by doing the one thing not allowed (eating of the tree). we once again have satan telling us it is ok to do the one thing not permitted (call upon another name) is it because we do not have enough respect for him to learn his name in the original? which is not western aramaic as all theologeons think. it was hebrew? was not his father joseph a priest? was not his uncle a priest? was not mary serving in the temple. where only hebrew was allowed? did not christ teach out of the scriptures ? which were written in hebrew? did not pilate when he wrote the inscription above the head of christ written in hebrew also? call upon his hebrew name for three days and your confusion will start to lift and you will see the truth. the truth being that the bible is misunderstood by all. because none have called upon the real christ so that they can not answer in a way that reflects the truth. if you want proof here it is. the sign of the beast. why has everybody gotten it wrong? it has a twofold meaning. first christ was betrayed the sixth hour of the night. he was crucified on the sixth day of the week, he died at the sixth hour of the day. hence 666. second in the year 666 was when thr first transliteration of the bible was written that ommitted his real name. and last of all did not christ when he was being delivered for crucifiction say "noww is the prince of this world cast out? cast where? we read in revelation that he is thrown into the bottomless pit for one thousand years after this he is let loose to decieve the nations. so shortly after the thousand year reign of christ we are given a new bible that has completely removed the name of the father and the son but you can still read the names of the demons in there original form. they know when they are called because it is by there name that they are known. one more thing. imagine that you are satan and you have been subject to the name of christ since you were created. would you all of the sudden subject yourself unto a name that you have never heard? there are so many other things that are misunderstood but i must quit rambling good luck to all who want to call upon the real name of christ which is yeh-ho-shoo-ach as in bach.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The Mark of the Beast-

The word apocalypse means uncovering or revealing in greek; hence the word Revelations. Armeggedon is an acient battlefield more properly known as Har Migido (Hebrew for hill of Migido.) Migido was used as a battlefield alot because of it's location which was a center point along the roads that led to many nations. After Jesus died the Romans fed them to lions and treated them unjustly to no end. One man named John of Patmos was banished to an island off the coast of Greece called Patmos. There he wrote an apocalyptic book and sent it to the seven churches of Asia. In this book the antagonist is the beast whose sign is 666. Names and words had numerical value and 666 translates into Nero which is the name of the man who banished him to that desolate place. So it's easy to see that the whole book is mainly about the downfall of the Roman Empire and it's original purpose was to inspire hope for a better existence to the masses of persecuted christians at that time, unlike how it is being interpreted today as a way to prophecy future events. It's not about the end of the world. It's about the end of suffering due to the rule of the Romans.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Everyone please recall that this thread is about

why the bible was censored, lets not evangelize for the jehovah's witnesses or make statements of faith or discuss what 'atheism' really means, lets try to stick to if the bible was edited, censored, etc, and why this was done, who did, when, how we know they did it, etc etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Everyone please recall that this thread is about

why the bible was censored, lets not evangelize for the jehovah's witnesses or make statements of faith or discuss what 'atheism' really means, lets try to stick to if the bible was edited, censored, etc, and why this was done, who did, when, how we know they did it, etc etc.

Freedom of speech, right? It makes perfect sense to try to stay on point but if you're in the moment and feel the need to sway somewhat; oh well. I don't oppose the extra self expression. Anyway what I was saying about revelations did actually tie into the primary discussion, And I'll tell you how. The romans reinvented christianity with catholicism and with these revelations being so widely circulated and opposed to roman rule; they had to obscure the true meaning and it wasn't a hard thing to do due to the fact that the writing was apocryphal anyway. They made it appear that this was a foretelling of the end of the entire world instead of the end of roman rule.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kajuroe
Oops, I managed to go on a rant and not answere the question at hand.

The Bible was censored, or better yet, stories were left out because these stories held information that contradicted what our religious leaders at the time wanted us to know. Yes, they also had an agenda as well as the authors of the books that did make it into the bible. I am also quite certain that the texts that did make it into the bible were edited according to the "guidelines" as well. The bible is a book. Nothing more and nothing less. Just a book. It is not "God's Word" as many of you so whole heartedly believe. Just another book written by man!

I am delighted to hear your opinion. But unless you have something by way of evidence to offer for it, why should the rest of us listen? Of course I quite understand that you are merely repeating uncritically something you heard. But it's best to be critical, and ask ourselves just why those who control the media agenda of our day are so keen to rubbish a book that demands honesty and treating the ordinary folks like you and I well. We may not like the answer. Do we seriously suppose the great and good have *our* benefit in mind?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
stick to if the bible was edited, censored, etc, and why this was done, who did, when, how we know they did it,

Freedom of speech, right The romans reinvented christianity with catholicism and with these revelations being so widely circulated and opposed to roman rule. They made it appear that this was a foretelling of the end of the entire world instead of the end of roman rule.

I don't know for sure that any 2000 year old account is uneditted or not. If the bible has been censored over the years it is pretty hard to prove. I can't say who killed Kennedy, and that was 42 years ago. For all we know the majority of the OT could have been molded to the purposes of those in power many times before that. And the NT could be complete fiction, written by someone like Josephus to sway Roman public opinion on what the policies towards Israel should be. Then, at the other end of the spectrum, the whole book could be verbatim. Any of a million variations in between are possible.
I choose to read what I can, and make conclusions as best I can, knowing I am not able to know what happened for sure. Imo, that is what we all do. It is possible that any record of editting is incorrect, and it is possible that the original texts we have are not correct. Let each of us decide for ourselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join