It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a federal crime to use anonymous name online!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
well, having met members of another board I post to regularly, I can assure you that we more easily identify eachother by means of our online identities.

Now, if I were to hack the boards, or use some type of script to where I could send you all a message, while hiding my own identity, then I could be in trouble under this law. however, I'd more likely be kicked off the boards first by the moderators, who would of course have the option to press charges against me for spamming the boards. Where htis really comes into play though is junk E-mail spam, which hides or conceals it's originating address for purposes of evading anti-spam filters.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
And I'm curious as to what your knowledge of "law" entails.

Let us just assume, I think it sufficient.

....but my point is that there is a popular legal definition of "identity," which is useful when presenting before a court.

I did not say otherwise. What I said is that no court to my knowledge has ever held on the meaning of "identity". There is a difference.

That's like saying that the word "the" has no meaning until the courts decide what it means, when in reality it has a popular usage and understanding among the courts.

Everything right, except the last five words. Courts determine the meaning of words.

[edit on 11-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This is ridiculous!!!!! So what if ppl post bs stuff on your blogs DELETE IT! THIS IS THE INTERNET FOR CHRIST SAKES!! IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN THIS SERIOUSLY!!! And who DOESNT remain annomous on the net? Only retards use they real info...so is everyone breaking the law? Am i breaking the law now? HOLY CRAP MAYBE THE NEXT THING IS AVATARS! I wont be able to use images that have copywrites or something...I dont know anyone who uses they REAL name as a screen name...so what the hell i could just say i'm jimmy jack johnson from kentucky and who could tell me i'm not! That's what's so stupid about it! IF i make a name, and say i'm a spesific person, i couldn't be fined because i technically said who i was. It's only if i say "dear X i hate u signed spawn" do i get in trouble.

The internet is the LAST place on EARTH where you can say what you truly feel about people without having to worry about any reprecussions and that's what makes it great. IF you take this right away from us, you take away our right to be human! I bet you one day it will be illegal to make fun of people because you'll "hurt they feelings". awww how sad...STFU!!!!!

Getting made fun of, being picked on, and slandering people is a part of life and if you cant deal with it then go jump off a bridge. I'm tired of everyone being such a punk nowadays. Grow some backbone! Everyone is so worried about if what they say will "offend someone" or "hurt they feelings". It's not even politcally correct to call fat ppl fat anymore! they are uhh weight challenged or something. And god forbid i make fun of these obese kids who cant even run a block without keeling over from exhaustion. Come on when i was 5 i could run off walls if i wanted to! IT's just sad to see a 5 or 6 year old kid who's parents let them eat theyself into obesity. And then we got parents these days like "oh i cant raise my kids, my teen is out of control MAURY PLEASE HELP ME!" STFU!!! Run after your kid with a baseball bat and STRIKE SOME FEAR INTO HIM AND STFU!!!

I understand if someone continually posts hatemail on ur blog, but goddang get over it there is a BLOCK button you know...and besides you deserve to get flammed because the entire idea of making a diary that other ppl can read should get u killed. The biggest problem i have with this, is the word "annoy". What is annoying to me, mite not be annoying to you. If they had said excesivley harrass somebody ok fine i can deal with that. But another problem i have is that ok, how much does this REALLY affect you? Is your life going to be ruined because someone called u a pig on your blog? Will your entire being be destroyed because someone :gasp: wrote you a NASTY E-MAIL?!?! "ohh no the world is comming to an end because u wrote me a nasty letter and YOU DIDNT SAY WHO YOU WERE! HOW DARE YOU I DEMAND TO KNOW YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS RIGHT THIS INSTANT!! OFFICER ARREST THAT MAN!!" IT may sound funny, but that's basically what this law is allowing.

And what about the 2 year prison sentance? Isn't that just a tad bit harsh to say the least? can you immagine that convo in jail..

Inmate #1: "I stabbed a guy 8 times then set his house on fire, what you in here for?"

Inmate#2 "i...uh...annoyed someone on the internet...."

Inmate #1 "...oh realy.....well that's cool. your name is bridget now."

....If this is true, i'll probly wind up doing like 175 years for "annoying" people...25 of which will probly be added because of this post! Oh well i dont care man, let em lock me up..there's to many places in life where it's not "appropriate" to say things, if i dont vent my feelings SOMEWHERE i will surley wind up in jail anyway for mass murder. They dont relize that sometimes you just need to poke some harmless fun at someone or say something totally ridiculous to keep your sanity. You cant expect me to hold in everything i want to say just because i might offend someone.

I dont have anything to hide from anyone, but i see no reason to let millions of strangers see personal info about me. I LIKE my privacy, and i dont care if they have to execute me in the streets, i will not wear a chip in my hand, or post my real name on an internet blog!!

mod edit: removed sex reference

[edit on 12-1-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
For everyone bitching about how the internet is "the last place you can speak your mind" or "something they can't take from us" I'd just like to throw it out there that it was a DARPA funded program that created the basic building blocks of the internet as part of a military program. Really everyone is just enjoying the fruit of a US government military industrial contract.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
WyrdeOne, your post had me

Looks like the first case has been brought to court..
www.courttv.com...

Although I highly doubt most people would go to such lengths as to drive to another state to photograph a person's home ..

Why would it figure to be an AOL chatter

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I, AkashicWanderer, affirm that all written communications, in whole or in part, delivered by means of the internet, is subject to the following Disclaimer:

Under Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Part I, Section 223(C), AKASHICWANDERER expressly denys and disclaims any and all intention to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person, during all written communications, in whole or in part, delivered by means of the Internet. ALL POSTINGS "AS IS".

[edit on 14/1/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
has anyone heard of the new inet protocall that is being pushed? I think its just called internet2 or something like that. But anyway if it passes anyone and everyone that wants to start a website or register a domain name must 1st register with the government and explain what type of site it will be and what it will be used for. Sounds like an ideal way for the government to allow only the news it wants on the inet.

I will try and find where I read about that.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smoot
Sounds like an ideal way for the government to allow only the news it wants on the inet.

Yeah, looking forward to be even more depressed by reading that.
Internet must stay free.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smoot
has anyone heard of the new inet protocall that is being pushed? I think its just called internet2 or something like that.

Here ya go, www.internet2.edu...

Source Quote : Led by more than 200 U.S. universities, working with industry and government, Internet2 develops and deploys advanced
network applications and technologies for research and higher
education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet

ATS Search brings these:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join