It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantida - Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Why Atlantida's name was changed in Atlantis?

Rescently I saw a show about Atlantis, and while they displayed some old scripts in greek, I was able to read 'Atlantida', which is the same name used in my language (Bosnian). Why English name for Atlantida is Atlantis?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Last time I checked a picture of the greek text, I clearly saw "Atlantis".

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Interestingly, this www.geocities.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">this has it as atlantida, in spanish though.

Bosnian isn't related to Greek though is it?

I don't think I have actually seen the texts of plato's in the original, anyone know of an image of it? That should settle this question. I found one where herodotus referes to the Atlantis Sea, and its pretty clearly seems like it says atlantis

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
No, Bosnian is not related to Greek, but as I know Serbian, which is Cyrillic language and its writing has roots in Greek language, I was able to read some of the script. I could not find the script I saw last night, which was on some show on Travel Channel (travel.discovery.com...), but I found modern Greek version of Critias, where you can see that Greek call Atlantis – Atlantidos.

Link for text in English: www.perseus.tufts.edu...

Click Greek on the page, and you’ll se the same text in their language. It does not work well in FireFox browser. You have to use IE.

So in overall, they are translating the name, where I was using real Greek name. Should names be translated?

[edit on 1/9/06 by vietifulJoe]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Translation of names is a good question. Since I only read English I have never seen it written any other way. We have a nasty habit of translating or renaming cities and countries to make it easier for us to pronounce (I assume) but the name used by that country/city should be put in brackets behind it. That way if we need to use the name in the original language it is there. It becomes harder when we don't use the same alphabets, because some sounds are very close together and b's, p's etc, could be exchanged making the spelling different. There is a phonetic alphabet used by linguists that is more accurate to the pronunciation than the regular english alphabet, but it is more complicated to use, sometimes the sounds in other languages have no english equivalent and need to be 'fudged' to sound something similar. This may explain some of the changes to names. Atlantide--Atlantis sound very similar, could this account for the difference?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i rather believe it might be atlantica
and it is between american continent and
africa / western europe.

why atlantic ocean. ->

- ocean of atlantica
- ocean of atlantis

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have accepted that earth and civilisations have lifed many times over long period of time. but were destroyed by several big cataclysmes.

so if my theory is correct mankind is much older than expacted and so
it may be possible they did several honderd years ago and there by there was a piece of land , rather big piece , called atlantica .

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-1-2006 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
africa / western europe.

why atlantic ocean. ->

- ocean of atlantica
- ocean of atlantis

That's what happened when you translate names. For example you will not translate New York to other languages, as that is the name of the city. (In my language it would sound like: Novi Jork)

Following the same pattern, Atlantis should keep it's name from the first source we have about it.

[edit on 1/11/06 by vietifulJoe]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by vietifulJoe

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
africa / western europe.

why atlantic ocean. ->

- ocean of atlantica
- ocean of atlantis

if translated new york to my language i will use it former name because new york was a dutch city , then it was New amsterdam.

That's what happened when you translate names. For example you will not translate New York to other languages, as that is the name of the city. (In my language it would sound like: Novi Jork)

Following the same pattern, Atlantis should keep it's name from the first source we have about it.

[edit on 1/11/06 by vietifulJoe]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
First of all I'm Greek, so I hope that I can help with this misunderstanding...

In Ancient Greek the correct -original- word is ATLANTIS.

The reason that you may find both words in ancient writings is that (this is maybe complicated) in Greek every word changes according to the person (1st, 2nd, 3rd), so even in ancient Greek ATLANTIS (1st person) changes to ATLANTIDA in 3rd (ie: ATLANTIS is great (1st) - I went to ATLANTIDA (3rd)).

Through the years Greek language has evolved, so today the modern Greek language is quite different - but of course still based on Ancient Greek.
The "modern" word for the lost continent is ATLANTIDA...

See also en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 1/11/2006 by gedi]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks gedi.

Well, my language is in that aspect very similar to Greek. But because we took name 'Atlantida' if we say 'I'm going to Atlantis' we would say 'Ja idem u Atlantidu'.

Text I saw was in old greek alphabet, alpha being the last symbol and delta before it. I hope they will air the show again.

new topics

top topics

join