It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Created Stonehenge?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There have been many theories as to who built Stonehenge. Some have said that aliens have made it, or that the druids were resonsible for it. Some even say that the Egiptions or even Merlin had something to do with the creation. So who did created the Stonehenge? Was it Aliens who made Stonehenge? If it were people how did they make it? The two websites below have info on Stonehenge and who may have created it.

Here is a website with a photo of the Druids at Stonhenge:
www.christiaan.com...

This website has info on who/what/where/when/why/and how on Stonehenge
www.egasparinijr.com...

I also heard of sightings of UFO's at Stonehenge. Do aliens have anything to do with Stonehenge or is Stonehenge just something that people created?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I would go with people created it. Interesting, I was watching a documentary on PBS (it was a BBC documentary) and they were discussing a lot of new info about stonehenge. One thing that struck me was they were saying that near by they found mounds and such that had drawings of spirals on them. They connected this with some cultures that had the same drawings of spirals. They said that the other cultures had shamans that took hallucinogens to connect with the spirit world and this spiral design was common among the visions. The thing is, magic mushrooms are known to grow in the fields around stonehenge. Sorry to go off topic.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I dont think its impossible for aliens to have made stonehenge,or even they could have helped humans build it.

Maybe it was a ufo landing pad?

[edit on 9-1-2006 by MagicPriest420]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Stonehenge was built during two period of time, the first was during the Neolithic and the second was during the Bronze Age and it is located in Wiltshire, England. The first part was a earth bank and a ditch the second part was the introduction of the stones.

The area has had three different phases, the first was the circular bank and ditch enclosure. The second was postholes holding timber and the third was when the introduction of the stone instead. These date in order as far back as 8000BC [Timbers under the Car Park] to roughly 2600BC when the stones were introduced.

Their is no major mystery about how they were built, it is a rather simple structure when you look at it especailly when compaired to what was being built around the other side of the World. The main mystery is why it was built and how the blocks were transported, as well as the organisation of the building which goes against what was known during the period.

As for UFO's and so on and so fourth, look around the rest of the World and what was built...look at them, compare them and then think why build that in the United Kindom[England] when you are having these Pyramids built and so on and so fourth...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There is also theory that Stonehenge was built by Atlantis.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
People , I would go with people . Have you seen the little clip where one single guy makes an mini release of stonehenge ?

Anyway I belive that with about 50-100 people this would been done pretty easy

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by gamerman
People , I would go with people . Have you seen the little clip where one single guy makes an mini release of stonehenge ?

I would like to see that.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I genraly go with the idea that it was built by the druids as a giant 'calender' so to speak. If you see it at the two solcists the main stones line up with the sun on those days. The theory is that it helped them know when to plant and harvest their crops.

Or we can go with what Stargate says it is for, and that there is items is down there belonging to the 'Ancients'. In that episode King Arthur was a Anciant and they had to pull the sword in the stone out to prove they were worthy, lol.

But i would go with my first explenation.

Pickle.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by vietifulJoe

Originally posted by gamerman

I would like to see that.

Search on this forum , its here somewhere.

I would like to see the vid again

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
I genraly go with the idea that it was built by the druids as a giant 'calender' so to speak. If you see it at the two solcists the main stones line up with the sun on those days. The theory is that it helped them know when to plant and harvest their crops.

Picklewalsh,

You're probably right on the "why," but you're certainly wrong on the "who." It's been known for quite some time now that Stonehenge pre-dates the Druids by millenia.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Picklewalsh,

You're probably right on the "why," but you're certainly wrong on the "who." It's been known for quite some time now that Stonehenge pre-dates the Druids by millenia.

Ohhh... see this is why i love ATS you learn something new every day.

Any idea who it was then?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Ohhh... see this is why i love ATS you learn something new every day.

Any idea who it was then?

Neolithic man...like I pointed out, in the third post...all the way up there!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ooops so you did, its been a long day, leave me alone.

I love Stonehenge one of the best places in the world.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I too think the solar calendar idea is the most sound.

I think it's interesting as it possibly shows Ancient mans veneration of the Sun at a very interesting stage.

I think most religions have Solar worship and charting at their heart, and I think Stone Henge, with it's plain blocks, without religious or mythical inscriptions shows this solar worship at a practical and pre-religious stage maybe? Before this solar worsip got layered and layered in allegory and coded myth.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by VelvetSplash]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
According to 19th-Century Masonic-Rosicrucian and said to be authentic-Druid, Godfrey Higgins; it was built by Kush-ite (pre-Shakyamuni)Buddhists from the Indus-Kush(India).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Tamahu

Freemasonry and the Druids

More: members.tripod.com...

BOOK I - CHAPTER IV

Page 59

In my Essay on The Celtic Druids, I have shewn, that a great nation called Celtæ, of whom the Druids were the priests, spread themselves almost over the whole earth, and are to be traced in their rude gigantic monuments from India to the extremities of Britain. Who these can have been but the early individuals of the black nation of whom we have been treating I know not, and in this opinion I am not singular. The learned Maurice says, "Cuthites, i. e. Celts, built the great temples in India and Britain, and excavated the caves of the former."* And the learned Mathematician, Reuben Burrow, has no hesitation in pronouncing Stonehenge to be a temple of the black, curly-headed Buddha.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think it has been attributed to a grooved ware people, or beaker people, will have to find references. They were named after the type of pottery they used. The original structure was built in the stone age--neolithic and has had at least 3 rebuilds and as many as 5, not including modern ones. Concensus seems to take the path that is is an observatory or calendar. Original markers and structures were probably of wood but due to the lengthy observation times, stone was incorporated because it lasted longer, and was harder to move, keeping measurements more accurate. The reason why these people would need such a sophisticated measure of time and astronomy is unknown. Speculations range from religious celebrations, to marking the heavens to predict changes that may have cataclysmic effects on earth.

My roommate suggests that stonehenge is the zolotrobe of the gods, the first attempt at animation by having persons posed in each arch in a slightly different position with the person in the center spinning to watch the progression of movement.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkie the Wondersnail
IMy roommate suggests that stonehenge is the zolotrobe of the gods, the first attempt at animation by having persons posed in each arch in a slightly different position with the person in the center spinning to watch the progression of movement.

Your roommate is dangerous to my monitor's health! I nearly did a spittake when I read that!

So... let me add to what you and Odium and Harte have said, and let's start by setting the stage, so to speak, of what was happening in the world and what life was back during that time:
en.wikipedia.org...

The story starts in Britain, 5,000 years or so ago, in about 3100 BC. The remnants of the last Ice Age are gone, and the warming global climate has caused areas of drought and a lot of climate change. Humans are not nomads or cave dwellers; they are now farmers and herders. They live in villages and although they don't write, they do have "marks" that they use to identify their personal property.

As of that time, they had domesticated dogs, they are in the process of moving from stone and bone tools to more sophisticated metal tools -- and swords, too. They have fire and they build shelters and houses from wood and brush and hides. They have bows and spears.

The huge mammals (including the mammoth and the cave lions and cave bears) are either gone or are being killed off. They wear clothes woven of wool and other fibers.

They farm and have domesticated farm animals (cattle, sheep, and horses), and are already changing the natural landscape (including what we modern people would call pollution and deforestation) :
www.oswego.edu...

Forges (primitive) exist and they are about to discover bronze. And they were good potters and skilled ones at that and they also weave baskets and make rope and netting for fishing.

think it has been attributed to a grooved ware people, or beaker people, will have to find references. They were named after the type of pottery they used.

Grooved ware pottery was a style of pottery that originated in the British Isles. It was popular and widely traded -- as people would go to meetings (or goods would come in through bride exchanges), they would see these elegant fired clay vessels and would figure out (or be taught) how to make them for themselves.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.orkneyjar.com...

Often, these pots were put in graves as part of the funeral goods:
www.britarch.ac.uk...

The original structure was built in the stone age--neolithic and has had at least 3 rebuilds and as many as 5, not including modern ones.

The structure we see today is the result of what was left and restoration work (moving stones, setting them upright.) The original was simply a circular mound.

Concensus seems to take the path that is is an observatory or calendar. Original markers and structures were probably of wood but due to the lengthy observation times, stone was incorporated because it lasted longer, and was harder to move, keeping measurements more accurate. The reason why these people would need such a sophisticated measure of time and astronomy is unknown. Speculations range from religious celebrations, to marking the heavens to predict changes that may have cataclysmic effects on earth.

There's some good evidence that it's an astronomical site and that it may be tied to ceremonies that fell at certain cycles in the yearly calendar.

HOWEVER... it's been used by several cultures and each time a group used it (before modern times) they worked over what was there and modified it to suit their needs. So what we see is a site that has been used for thousands of years by many cultures.

The Druids undoubtedly used it, but whoever made the first henge was not of the same culture or age as the ones who last used it ritually.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A bit about the cultures who created stonehenge

Most scientists agree on the modern theory that three tribes built Stonehenge at three separate times. In approximately 3000 B.C., it is believe the first people to work on the site were Neolithic agrarians. Archaeologists named them the Windmill Hill people after one of their earthworks on Windmill Hill, which is near Stonehenge. The Windmill Hill peoples built large circular furrows, or hill-top enclosures, dug around a mound and had collective burials in large stone-encased tombs. Most of their burial mounds point east-west. These people were a blend of the local peoples and Neolithic tribe members from Eastern England. They were one of the first semi-nomadic hunting and gathering groups with an agricultural economy and contained a strong reverence for circles and symmetry. They raised cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, grew wheat and mined flint.

The Beaker people, or Beaker Folk, came from Europe at the end of the Neolithic Period and invaded Salisbury Plain around 2000 B.C. Their name comes from one of their ancient traditions in which they would bury beakers, or pottery drinking cups, with their dead. Instead of burring their dead in mass graves, they showed more reverence for death by placing them in small round graves marked by mounds called tumuli. It is assumed by archaeologists that the Beaker People were more warlike in nature than most tribes of their time because they buried their dead with more weapons, such as daggers and battle axes. The Beaker Folk were highly organized, industrious, used sophisticated mathematical concepts, and managed their society by using a chieftain system. They began using metal implements and living in a more communal fashion. Scientists believe they were sun worshipers who aligned Stonehenge more exactly with certain important sun events, such as mid summer and winter solstices.

The Wessex Peoples are considered the third and final peoples to work on the Stonehenge site. They arrived around 1500 B.C. at the height of the Bronze Age. They were by far one of the most advanced cultures outside the Mediterranean during this period. Since their tribal base were located where ridgeways, or ancient roads, met, they became skillful and well-organized traders, controlling trade routes throughout Southern Britain. These people are thought to have been responsible for the bronze dagger carving found on one of the large sarsen stones within Stonehenge. They were a very smart culture, wealthy, and used greater precision in their calculations and construction. It is felt they used these talents in finalizing Stonehenge into what we see today.

www.aboutstonehenge.info...

Haven't reviewed how to use the external tags yet. Next project.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Sparkie the Wondersnail]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Their is no major mystery about how they were built, it is a rather simple structure when you look at it especailly when compaired to what was being built around the other side of the World. The main mystery is why it was built and how the blocks were transported, as well as the organisation of the building which goes against what was known during the period.

Originally posted by ByrdThere's some good evidence that it's an astronomical site and that it may be tied to ceremonies that fell at certain cycles in the yearly calendar.

HOWEVER... it's been used by several cultures and each time a group used it (before modern times) they worked over what was there and modified it to suit their needs. So what we see is a site that has been used for thousands of years by many cultures.

The Druids undoubtedly used it, but whoever made the first henge was not of the same culture or age as the ones who last used it ritually.

Those two quotes summarize it fairly well. I did a report for university on stonehenge a few years back. Some interesting things about Stonehenge that I had in that report:

-the midsummer sunrise, midwinter sunset, and furthest points of moonrise and moonset meet at right angles ONLY at the latitude of Stonehenge.
-the material used in most of the construction of Stonehenge, called 'bluestone', are not found anywhere near the Salisbury Plains; the closest source is over 200km away. Why (and how!) did the builders move 82 4-ton stones and 40 lintels so far, especially when other types of usable stone were much closer? (In my report, I theorized that maybe bluestone was somehow sacred to the builders, like how jade in ancient China was the most valuable material in the world)
-the 4 Station Stones form a rectangle; the long sides align with the northernmost/southermost points of the lunar cycle, and the short sides align with the midsummer sunrise/midwinter sunset
-hundreds of barrows have been found near Stonehenge, containing various artifacts of the time, as well as human remains. Most of the human bodies were aligned on the east-west axis. (sunrise/sunset)
-votive offerings have been found at Stonehenge
-there are 56 holes (the Aubrey Holes) arranged in a concentric circle around Stonehenge, some of which had those votive offerings in them
-there are debates about whether human sacrifice occurred at Stonehenge. There is no definitive proof either way, but at Woodhenge (a nearby structure) there was a 3 year old buried with a shattered skull, which looked like a foundation sacrifice. A skeleton of a young man was found at Stonehenge that had been shot with 4 arrows at point blank range. (I had theorized maybe he had been an unwilling sacrifice...)
-one strange theory I found in my research back then was that Stonehenge was built as a representation of female reproductive anatomy

All this stuff came from the report I wrote about 2 years ago and dug up just now. I'll put the sources that I used for that report for further reading.

-John North "Stonehenge: A New Interpretation of Prehistoric Man and the Cosmos" (this was an excellent book)
-Rodney Castleden "The Stonehenge People: An Exploration of Life in Neolithic Britan 4700-2000BC" (also was good, but not as good as North's)
-David Souden "Stonehenge Revealed" (this book was written at a high school or lower level, but it had awesome maps)
-I had some internet sources too, but I just checked and none of them are valid anymore

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
On the last night show about who built Stonehenge they suggested that British ancestor in the time of Stone Age were able to create Stonehenge. Funny, they were using modern technology, and they tried to reproduce part of it.
According to research, some of the stones are moved 200 miles away and there are remains found at the site which originated from Walls, where stones also originated from.
Without good motive, it is hard to believe that those people moved those huge stones that far away.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join