It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Hotel can't evict Katrina homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
"A New Orleans judge has ruled a city hotel cannot evict six Hurricane Katrina evacuees, as the federal government is paying their bills.
"Any such evacuee previously discharged and/or evicted this date must be allowed to return to their rooms at the hotel immediately," Civil District Court Judge Michael Bagneris wrote in the judgment Saturday. He also ruled that the hotel must provide "the same level of service" as it did previously under the short-term lodging program funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency."

washtimes.com...

How is it people keep trying to throw these poor people out into the street? Bravo for this judge whom has the intergrity to defy such injustice. These people have been through a horrific time and need some human warmth and dignity.

Where is GW Bush in this, why haven't these people been relocated into perminant housing? How is it 9,500 still remain in hotels?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Under what law did the judge decide that the hotel couldnt throw out whoever the heck it wanted?

If I owned a hotel, I can set any kind of policy I wanted. In fact, most hotels have a time limit you can rent a room for. This is to prevent people from taking up home in your hotel.

I think the judge is wrong.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm torn on this. I think it's great that the judge stepped in and ensured those people had a place to stay, and I think it's wrong (on a personal level) for the hotel to evict them in the first place.

At the same time, as contradictory as it sounds, I agree with ImplementOfWar. If I owned a hotel, I'd want the ability to run it however I wanted and allow or evict any residents I wanted. That's the whole point to running a business, to run it how you want it. My opinion, at least.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This article (as don't many) does not address "if" these peole have jobs, or have looked for more permanet housing. The tone would indicate they are "existing" without trying to "better" themselves. In many cities thousands of similar cases are ongoing with the refugees unwilling to even look for jobs or housing. The rates these hotels are forced to charge are far less than normal rates. Any hotel near New Orleans needs to purge such "guests" in order to book for Madi Grau.

How long should FEMA keep funding such people?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
UUggggghhh....

The foul smell of selfishness wafts through my pc screen and into my face...
Once again...

Sure, if you own a hotel, you would want to be able to evict whoever you want...

But with all the Katrina victims go through, why wouldn't you be able to open your heart and allow them to stay...

Why did a judge have to force hotel owners to do this?

Where is the kindness?
The sense on community?
Do Americans give a damn about eachother?
Why the cold hearted, short sighted, anti - christian actions?

Thermopolis:
Ever tried to find a job from a hotel room? Not easy! Labor Ready - sure, but I bet that's filled up every morning. I have. It's tough. FEMA should keep funding these people until they are able to stand up on their own two feet. At least 6 months.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION

Where is the kindness?
The sense on community?

Thermopolis:
Ever tried to find a job from a hotel room? Not easy! Labor Ready - sure, but I bet that's filled up every morning. I have. It's tough. FEMA should keep funding these people until they are able to stand up on their own two feet. At least 6 months.

Sir, I have been homeless, lived under a bridge, lived in the jungle.

FEMA (funded by actual taxpayers) should not pay a cent...............ever

Churches and other "aid" org's should help the victim through the good will of the people whom have supplied "billions".

The arrogance and "demanding" nature of these "so called victims" would turn the stomach of even the most bleeding hearts. Those whom wish to better themselves have moved on..............Those whom demand to live off the money taken from "YOU" at gunpoint by the IRS are still putting thier hand out.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
This article (as don't many) does not address "if" these peole have jobs, or have looked for more permanet housing. The tone would indicate they are "existing" without trying to "better" themselves. In many cities thousands of similar cases are ongoing with the refugees unwilling to even look for jobs or housing. The rates these hotels are forced to charge are far less than normal rates. Any hotel near New Orleans needs to purge such "guests" in order to book for Madi Grau.

How long should FEMA keep funding such people?

Exactly. I work in a car stereo shop next door to a hotel that houses many katrina victims. One guy has spent about $800 with us(for a car he doesn't even have yet)and I know he doesn't have a job, so where did he get the money for it? This guy will probably stay in that hotel and waste aid money until someone starts better regulating this.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If these people are still living in hotels then they are not trying to rebuild their lives. Ok, so Katrina wiped them out and they have nothing. Yet 4 months later they are still living on the govts dollar and freeloading, much as they did before Katrina. Thousands of people in the meantime have relocated, got jobs, and rebuilt their lives. It is much more expensive to live in a hotel than an apartment. If they were working and making their own money, they would have long ago left the hotel for more affordable, sensible housing. Plus Hotel owners should have the right to deny services to anybody they choose. These people who are still in the hotels will stay there until evicted, therefore forcing the hotels hand. Bottom line, once a ward of the state , always a ward of the state.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'm an actual tax payer. We lost our home & jobs to that storm. It's been almost 6 months now & we haven't found good jobs yet. We have to move back to Mississippi & live in a FEMA camper. Many ask why go back? We tried to relocate & it ain't that easy. We can go back home to jobs and a place to live. We feel we have a better chance of making it down ther with all the others. I want to be a part of rebuilding that beautiful place.
Freeloadres & those that abuse the system shouldn't get a free ride, but what we have to remember is the system is screwed up. FEMA is all f*ed up. I know people with the same general income & losses that got 10-15 grand more than people in the same catagory. We are getting thrown pennies by the gov't us and our ancestors have financed for decades. To get a small portion of that money back in a time of need is no gift. There doing us no favors, believe me. The town I live in is working very hard to rebuild & I'm proud to be a part of that comunity.

Originally posted by thermopolis

Originally posted by theBLESSINGofVISION

Where is the kindness?
The sense on community?

Thermopolis:

Sir, I have been homeless, lived under a bridge, lived in the jungle.

FEMA (funded by actual taxpayers) should not pay a cent...............ever

Churches and other "aid" org's should help the victim through the good will of the people whom have supplied "billions".

The arrogance and "demanding" nature of these "so called victims" would turn the stomach of even the most bleeding hearts. Those whom wish to better themselves have moved on..............Those whom demand to live off the money taken from "YOU" at gunpoint by the IRS are still putting thier hand out.

[edit on 29-1-2006 by corusso]

[edit on 29-1-2006 by corusso]

top topics

join