It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Iranian Spy Tried to Infiltrate Israeli Parliament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
An Arab-Israeli man was indicted today on allegations of trying to spy on Israel by planning to run for a seat in Parliament then pass inside information to Iranian agents. Jirias Jirias, 57, was a former mayor of the village Fassuta in Galilee and has been charged with having contacts with an enemy state. Tensions between Israel and Iran have been on the rise since Iran's president has publically called for Israel to "be wiped off the map" and has questioned the Nazi Holocaust against the Jewish people.

www.newkerala.com
HAIFA, Israel: An Israeli Arab alleged to have tried to win a seat in the Jewish state's parliament to spy on behalf of arch-foe Iran was charged today with contacts with an enemy state.

Prosecutors told Haifa District Court that Jirias Jirias, former mayor of a Galilee town, was recruited by Iranian intelligence agents while on a 2004 trip to Cyprus aimed at raising funds for a news-translation service he planned to open.

According to the indictment, Jirias, 57, joined the liberal Meretz-Yahad party in hope of becoming a lawmaker and providing his handlers with inside information on Israeli politics.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good that this man was caught, but you have to wonder how many Iranian moles may be working in Israel undetected. I'm sure this incident will rightly add more fuel to the fire in the dispute over Iran's nuclear ambitions, and it will be increasingly difficult for any Israeli politician to take anything but a hard-line approach to dealing with the Iranian problem.

Related News Links:
www.haaretzdaily.com

[edit on 1/9/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
this further shows how paranoid iran is to israel. they may want to know inside information because they are so paranoid they actually think that israel will make a first strike.

in other news though concerning this topic
www.cnn.com...

they did it VOLUNTARILY. we cant simply stall them forever with a suspision that they are creating them. this could all be so easily avoided if we actually cared about the nations instead of the money.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I wonder how many Israeli spies are in Iran. Actually, the Israeli's have a penchant for spying on, and infiltrating, American governmental institutions. But forget all that, Iran bad. Iran spy, Iran bad!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
It's good that this man was caught, but you have to wonder how many Iranian moles may be working in Israel undetected.

Just to clear it up, so their is no confusion for members reading this. He has not been found guilty and only has been arrested on such charges. For all I know or Djohnsto77 knows the man could be innocent. Even false-arrests happen in Israel.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This would be the first time they have tried to infiltrate Israel's government and political system.

Jaris Jaris (suspected of spying on Israel for Iranian intelligence) is an Israeli Arab - and he is also the former head of the Fasuta Local Council in the Upper Gailee.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It's good that this man was caught, but you have to wonder how many Iranian moles may be working in Israel undetected

Wonder how many American spies are in Iran and British spies too, Chinese aswell...(thier spying on us in the area)....? but still, *slaps Iran's paw*

..bad boys

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
My oh My.

This Year Sure started with IRAN all over the Headlines in the News.

Every Day there is something about Iran.

I am sure that there are Several Mossad Spies that have Successfully Inflitrated not just the Iranian Parlament.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As far as Jonathan Pollard is concerned, I'd show him no mercy and if I was in charge he would have been executed for treason/espionage a long time ago.

But he's not the topic...we should all try to refrain from excusing behavior by pointing to similar behavior by others.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
How interesting to see people completely ignoring this item by stating "it's ok for Iran to do it since Israel spies also" yet if someone pro-Israel said that you'd be all over them...

How about sticking to the topic here instead of excusing it?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Djarums, how about the same people who are Anti-Iran start doing the same also?

To be honest, every Nation spies on every other Nation if they can. I thought everyone knew this?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'd be more worried as to how many are in American government. Hell, we already have corporate "moles" who have infiltrated all levels of government and sell out to their business masters-I find it hard to believe there aren't some very patient foreign powers who have done the same thing. Hell. the KGB had strong influence among the anti-war movement of the 60's-and many of those college kids then are "The Man" now.

Originally posted by subz
I wonder how many Israeli spies are in Iran. Actually, the Israeli's have a penchant for spying on, and infiltrating, American governmental institutions. But forget all that, Iran bad. Iran spy, Iran bad!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Iran�s Foreign Ministry yesterday denied reports that it had an agent in Israel to infiltrate the political system (Khaleej Times)

and

Meanwhile, the State Prosecutor's Office clarified Monday that contrary to earlier reports, the charges against Jirias have not been watered down, and the man was not supposed to have been indicted for espionage.

Jirias has been charged with conspiring to pass on information to the enemy and having contact with a foreign agent.

According to the State Prosecution, Jirias had been in contact on a number of occasions with Hani Abdallah Metwali, an Iranian intelligence agent known for his efforts to recruit Israeli and Palestinian agents on behalf of Tehran.

Metwali is believed to have put Jirias in touch with Iranian intelligence officials, who instructed the former council head to get involved in politics and gather information on Israeli society and government. (haaretz)

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So, is this a legitimate case of concern, or just another ratch on the propaganda gear? We'll probably never know...but of course, spies will be spies, and it's only a big deal when they're caught, hehe.....

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Iranians apparently have a nicely developed and effective intelligence and counter-intelligence network. They were able to, for example, feed information to the US intelligence network, through chalabi, to encourage the US to attack their traditional arch-nemesis, Iraq.
Now they apparently are turning to another old enemy.

new topics

top topics

join