It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop error - Please help I'm extremely desperate!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Ok, so I recently purchased World of Warcraft and was VERY excited to start playing. However, when I install the game, and the auto patch starts running, I get a damned stop error! The error says something like "IRQL Less_or_not_equal". I'm extremely frusterated right now, as I have limited computer knowlege and have tried everything in my power. I tried manually installing a full patch (For some reason when I do this, it glitches up the game. I can start and probably play the game just fine, but the screen blinks and it's all scrambled), re-installing windows, testing my RAM sticks one by one, trying both my CDrom drive and my DVD rom drive, switching all of the cords around on my CD rom drive...none of it is working! I have a 1.3GHZ processor (It ran half-life two, so this game really shouldn't be a problem for it), but I recently reset my BIOS CMOS settings. I had to remove my jumper (Someone passworded the BIOS screen) and replace it, so everything is in default. Might this have something to do with it?

I'm EXTREMELY DESPERATE. I'll I've done today other than work is try to fix this problem. If anyone has any advice, I'll GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
This link may help you aumha.org...

They say IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL indicate driver problem. I think in the blue screen you should see a process or file name somewhere, that should help you determine what driver is faulty. Then update that driver or replace the device if it's not compatible.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
May I ask if it's a legal copy of the game... Blink twice if it's not.

The reason I ask is that with many "cracked" versions of games this also happens. There has been changes in the game code, and the "crack" (patch) does not "anticipate" this (Meaning the game code is newer than the "crack"). It can also happen vice versa, when you have an illegal version of the game and try to install official (legal) patches. I.e. if you have an illegal copy of the game, it's most probably a software problem and not a hardware problem which is usually the case as Ufia pointed out.

(But being an ATS member I know that you will not particapte in any "illegal activities" such as buying illegal games... , thus follow Ufia's advice...
)

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
May I ask if it's a legal copy of the game... Blink twice if it's not.

He said he purchased it, so I'm assuming it is a legit copy.

I would recommend contacting the publisher for technical assistance.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

Yeah, the copy is legal. It's weird though - I re-installed windows, and now instead of getting the error my computer just re-starts. I think it might also be linked to having to reset all of my bios settings and having them at their absolute defaults.

I was also wondering if maybe I could just fix the "glitchy screen" problem that I mentioned, and go frm there... When I install the patch that says "full patch", the screen is...scrambled is the best way to put it. It flashes, and it looks like there parts of stuff everywhere. I can still navigate, and I actually got a game started! But I can't really play like that... Perhaps this indicates a video card error?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yeah, scrambled screen sounds like a video card error to me, we had relatively the same problem with Sims2 (scrambled screen, I mean) We got a new vid card and all was fixed.

I'm far from the expert though, lol, so good luck.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Thanks...I think I might go buy a video card today. Only problem is that I have no idea how to install one!

top topics

join