It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the Jordan Embassies Closing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
In the last few days, Britian, Canada, and Austraila have all suddenly closed their jordan embassies. Each one cited imminent terrorist attack warnings.

And none of them have insisted that their fellow countrymen leave that I am aware of. Strange.

But Jordan says there is nothing to worry about. I wonder what is up?

[edit on 1/8/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Probably intelligence that terrorists are plotting to strike foreign embassies in Jordan with no specific threat against westerners in general.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Summary
We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Jordan because of the high threat of terrorist attack.
Reports suggest terrorists may be in the final stages of planning attacks against Westerners and places frequented by Westerners in Jordan.
The Australian Embassy in Jordan will be closed until further notice due to the security situation. If you are in Jordan and need urgent consular assistance please call the switchboard at the Embassy (details below) and follow the prompts to have your call transferred to the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra. The British Embassy has also closed until further notice.
Terrorist attacks on 9 November 2005 against three international hotels in the capital, Amman, killed and injured many people, including foreigners. This demonstrates that the threat of terrorist attack in Jordan continues.
A public statement, purportedly by the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, has suggested that Al Qaeda's targets in Jordan might include a number of places frequented by foreigners, including tourist hotels, embassies and consulates.
www.smartraveller.gov.au...

This is the Australian governments travel warning on Jordan, i think its prety clear, and the notice is specifically aimed at the public.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Could this have something to do with Jordan's decision not to fulfill it's ICC duties, by agreeing to remand US war criminals to the custody of the US government instead of the ICC?

Just a thought I had while reading the embassy story. Anyone else think there might be a connection?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Could this have something to do with Jordan's decision not to fulfill it's ICC duties, by agreeing to remand US war criminals to the custody of the US government instead of the ICC?

Just a thought I had while reading the embassy story. Anyone else think there might be a connection?

Whats that about, WyrdeOne? US war criminals? Not heard of this myself, could you fill me in? Ta

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Whats that about, WyrdeOne? US war criminals? Not heard of this myself, could you fill me in? Ta

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Jordan's parliament on Sunday approved a law that prevents Amman handing over U.S. citizens accused of war crimes to the international criminal court, lawmakers said.

The United States is firmly opposed to the ICC, set up in 2002 as the world's first permanent global war crimes court, fearing it will be abused for politically-motivated cases against its troops and citizens.

Jorsan's pro-government 110-seat parliament voted by a large majority in favour of the law which was viewed by rights bodies and some deputies as a violation of Jordan's obligations under the court's founding Rome Statute and eroded its sovereignty. Lawmakers said the law requires Jordan to refuse to hand over to the ICC persons accused of war crimes if they are U.S. nationals and non-nationals working for the U.S. government.

www.alertnet.org...

Additional link for confirmation here (From CNN)

[edit on 9-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ahhh, so it's not specific "War Criminals"....Thats were I misunderstood. Thanks WO...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
"Jordanian politicians privately said ratifying the accord was crucial to maintain U.S. military and economic aid which many lawmakers believe was tied to the ratification of the bilateral accord.

U.S. law requires the suspension of military and economic aid to states party to the ICC treaty if they refuse to enter into agreements, unless the President waives this requirement."

news.yahoo. com

money can buy your way out of anything.....

wonder if the charges of war crimies will be looking into here in the US, or if they be just swept under the rug until the pictures are release to the mass media?

*Fixed link url*

[edit on 9-1-2006 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The Jordan News is reporting that the British embassy will reopen after the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Adha (Festival of the Sacrifice).

They also report that the King got the heck out of dodge.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Jordan closes border with Iraq. They say that Iraq asked them to.

Meanwhile, the Canadian Embassy spokesman said that there was no specific threat to the Embassy, but that it is not well located and that was a factor in the decision to close the Embassy.

What is that supposed to mean?

top topics

join