It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King crabs march towards the Pole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Look at those big Watch it, please, if I came across one of them I'd # myself

The further up north they go the better.

news.bbc.co.uk...

A shellfish released in the Arctic waters of the Barents sea in 1961 has taken a huge step to expand its range.
The species is the king crab, a native of the Bering sea and the area round Kamchatka in the Russian far east.

It was brought to western Russia in a bizarre experiment to provide a new catch for the Soviet fishing fleet.

Now, to the dismay of scientists, the crab has reached the Svalbard archipelago, an island group almost half-way to the North Pole.

[Edited on 29-10-2003 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Big crab!

The thing that I am increasingly aware of are the reports of "declining fish stocks". All over the world people are complaining about being unable to catch the number and size of fish as they did in the past.

How long until the seas are empty? What will happen then?

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
you aint kiddin those things are huge!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yep those are really big crabs. One could feed my whole family.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
lower the price on the crabs
harvest more of them

send them to lysergic

will devour them

ps: send more butter

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Looks like the leftovers of a bad monster movie.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:16 AM
link   
the spread of these things reminds me of the cane toads here in Aus.

They were introduced as a biological control on the sugar cane fields for the cane beetle

Now........... the buggers are everywhere up north.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Yeah that's what happens when you play mother nature, you cause a new problem.

The article says that mostly Japanese eat these things but are they not also sold at places like Red Lobster etc?

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yeah that's what happens when you play mother nature, you cause a new problem.

The article says that mostly Japanese eat these things but are they not also sold at places like Red Lobster etc?

Red Lobster & the like are probably gonna serve stone & dungeness crabs...maybe true snow crabs depending on how overfished they are at the time.
King crabs -- the real ones that weigh 20lbs each or so -- aren't as easy to come by, and are VERY expensive ($20-40/lb US). But they are DEEEE-licious!!

-B.

posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Nasty Sea bugs!
I don't really care to eat them.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I actually caught a baby Troll Crab once, in a home made fishing net just under our floating dock. I was young then, but I still remember it. Everyone told me I wouldn�t catch # in my home mad net, hehe... but there it was the day after,... a troll crab, grim as hell. I would never have held a creature capture now, like I did then, but it was interesting to see such a rare crab up close.

I really don�t think the Troll crab and the King crab are related, seeing that The King crab is actually not in the crab family, but they do look alike.

This is a Norwegian Troll Crab. Found the picture on some site while searching for info on them.

There are huge King Crabs in Norwegian waters also. The Norwegian King Crabs can only reach the weight of 14 kg through, and can grow up to 1,80 meters in diameter. In the best areas of its original territory The King crab is told to have grown to the incredible size of 6 meters in diameter.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry, but I just don't trust anything with more than 2 legs that can bite me! think I'd just stay the hell away from those things. I'd rather take my chances with a bloody shark than one of those

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by funlovincriminal
Sorry, but I just don't trust anything with more than 2 legs that can bite me! think I'd just stay the hell away from those things. I'd rather take my chances with a bloody shark than one of those

I am not sure that anyone has been bitten by a crab. It seems more likely that you could be pinched though.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Hehe. I got pinched by a crab once, nearly lost my finger. I think we ate it afterwards. They do have a mouth though, so they are able to bite... but I don't think you'll notice it if threy do.

new topics

top topics

join