It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAFTA and CAFTA, bad deal for all?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I am not familiarizing myself too often with North american and Central american policy.

Although, this time I believe, I fell over some information that has gone quietly past the community of xTS.

Since I haven't researched too thoroughly what the NAFTA and CAFTA really covers, I just wonder if anyone else have some input to this article. Is this true, that;

Days before the Central America Free Trade Agreement was to go into effect, news reports indicate that several of the CAFTA countries’ parliaments – where the reality of having to make far-reaching, retrograde changes to public health and other domestic laws required by the commercial agreement – are reluctant to actually implement the deal. In Costa Rica’s case, the Congress is simply unwilling to ratify the controversial agreement.

In reaction, the Bush administration has decided to delay the planned Jan. 1, 2006, implementation until it can push through the anti-public interest changes to each Central American country’s domestic laws.

“After sitting on the signed agreement for over a year because they knew they didn’t have the support in the U.S. Congress for NAFTA expansion, the Bush administration was able to pass the deal by a one-vote margin only after cutting shady deals that cost U.S. taxpayers billions,” said Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch. “Now the administration has come face to face with the reality that the agreement that it promised would bolster economic performance and democracy in Central America is in fact seriously unpopular because it forces the nations to implement an anti-development model that has proven to cause serious economic and social trauma.”

I guess, my obligatory next question would be; "Why is dubyah(s people) making this shady deal?"

Is it some sort of 'unplanned' agenda, having any other country on the continent 'tied' up in 'unfortunate' cooperations?

The taxpayers will only gain more debts, but do the dubyah-clan care?
Imo, I don't think he mind. It all bring my mind to think about corruption, powermonging and an unquenching thirst for greenbacks.
I don't think he really cares for the progress of the country he runs.
He is, imho, egoistic enough to blow the planet to smithereens just before he draws his last breath. Taking his precious valuables with him.

Related link:
Public Citizen

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What i find unforgiving is the sharing of information that will allow Canada and Mexico access to my personal information within the National ID database.

join