It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Genetically Modified Foods: Unborn Babies at Risk?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Geneticists copied a natural process without understanding it in its entirety. They figured out a few cheats and now think they can win the game. But the proofs are in that the game isn't a game, and the rules are waaayyyy more complicated than anybody figured. Surprise surprise.

-----

you dont know what youre talking about, you ignorantly disregard decades of research and scientist willing to live in poor native villages for over 20 years for the sole purpose of understanding this process then living in poor parts of other nations to personally teach poor farmers these things, you ignore the hundreds of millions these scientists have personally saved.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
loam, the name maybe but humans have used similar methods far longer than 10 years.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hogwash. Let's be clear.

Twice as many field tests of genetic engineering experiments involving plants combined with genes from humans, chickens, cows, mice, and other animals were authorized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) between 2001 and mid-2003 than were authorized during the entire first 13 years of USDA record keeping, according to a new report released today by U.S. PIRG.

The report highlights field tests of unusual gene combinations such as:

• Corn and Hepatitis B and Simian Immunodeficiency Virus

• Safflower and Carp

• Wheat and Chickens

• Rats and Soybeans

Source.

THAT has not been done for "years".

Do people realize what they are doing???????????

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Like anything in the scientific world anything that has to do with the tampering of the DNA of plants and animals will eventually cause changes that can be damaging to the natural process or those plants or animals.

When human consume those Altered food or animals we will also be affected by the modifications of the DNA.

Why? because as everything in nature we live in a balance and that balance is what makes up unique.

We humans think that we know it all but truly now after few years of the tampering with DNA on plants is risk of environmental consequences that can be spread.

When we tamper with nature is always that possibility of nature retaliation for intruding and that is what GM is all about, modification of what nature is giving to us in a balance way.

By the way the GM products that we are consuming in the US are from other countries.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
nobelprize.org...
nobelprize.org...
gee 1970....that was 10 years ago....

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's OK you can support the GM foods and if you find them to your liking good for you.

But because what we eat is a choice, my choice will stay with nature.

I want my foods the way that nature intended with not artificial manipulations.

Just a choice.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
loam im getting tired of people spreading such ignorance which hurts millions for some naive idealogy, you willing to let people keep starving over what ifs that havent surfaced in decades of use and research?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
marg if your choice is popular enough and this gm paranoia spreads enough, millions more will starve by such a choice, dont turn this into a trivial matter of opinion.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by namehere]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Make it 1870. So what?

Are you that confident our bodies are biologically prepared for such drastic changes in our food supply? Are we so confident we have our own biology figured out?

:shk:

There has been a sea-change in what we eat in the last ten years....and so very few realize it.

This is one area where I have no problem closely regulating the commercial interests that drive this technology. Our very lives could depend upon it.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
loam science has proven it has minimal effects on humans, repeatedly so yes im confident.

and so what? you said 10 years, i was pointing out that was incorrect.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by namehere]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
"Proven" how?

You conveniently ignore the paltry studies that indicate otherwise.

THERE HAS BEEN NO MEANINGFUL TESTING.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Namehere if countries wants to feed starving people GM foods that is their choice occurs is very unethical that they are not telling them what they have been feed.

Unless they have been chosen to become testing rats of these genetically engineer food.

People that are more educated can research and put two and two and come to the conclusion that this food is not such a good idea.

I am one of those.

Now do you suggest that we be force to eat this food so others in the world can benefit?

The only ones benefiting are the makers and manufactures we are just the people that has been experimented with.

I have always eaten as healthy as I can and as natural as is financially able for me.

I didn't grew up with GM foods and I don't have to accept them.

It is not paranoia just diet preferences.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
loam because there are none which show SIGNIFIGANT adverse effects.

and heres some proof as im not going to take hours listing hundreds of studies www.who.int...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
my quoting isn't working correctly but loam you said

The problem is that GM products are not labeled as such. You are consuming them without your specific knowledge!

It has already been in our food supply for sometime.

And I can appreciate this but surely food such as all the fast food people knowingly consume is known to be GM, it is mass produced, it can't be good for us whether it can be proven they use GM foods or not. I myself cannot confirm what is or isn't but I have a good idea of what NOT to eat. I see everyone else blindly eating away to their hearts content.

But I would love to know how we can find out exactly what is or isn't GM, surely there is a law that requires it be labelled as such or listed in some guide somewhere ?

I buy most of my meat and vegetables and such from local supplier's whom I or my family know personally so I know I don't have to really worry about steroid-enhanced meat or GM fruits and vegetables but this still does concern me, it should concern everyone!

I shall look at your links in further detail after work

great topic loam!

And namehere, I am sorry but when U look around and see how children are growing these days and also the increase in ADD in them, among other examples, U must realize there is SOMETHING causing it ?

[edit on 8-1-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
marg it is paranoia and it does threaten millions to spread such nonsense due to baseless fear.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
"In order for the FDA to determine if Monsanto's growth hormones were safe or not, Monsanto was required to submit a scientific report on that topic. Margaret Miller, one of Monsanto's researchers put the report together. Shortly before the report submission, Miller left Monsanto and was hired by the FDA. Her first job for the FDA was to determine whether or not to approve the report she wrote for Monsanto. In short, Monsanto approved its own report. Assisting Miller was another former Monsanto researcher, Susan Sechen. Deciding whether or not rBGH-derived milk should be labeled fell under the jurisdiction of another FDA official, Michael Taylor, who previously worked as a lawyer for Monsanto. "

WTF?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
crazy part is tht i havent been able to drink milk now for a couple years but strangely i have no problem with some cheese and some ice cream...and when i say some i dont mean like different types, i mean different brands of dairy products. wtf is this?? i was having alot of problems with my stomach and stabbing pains around that area untill i stopped drinking certian brands of milk. i know this because the milk my mother gets from the store i feel like will kill me when i drink a glass, and the milk cartons i get at school give me no problems at all....

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
growth hormones are not genetic modification grim reaper.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
grimreaper I can relate, I stopped drinking milk when I was about 14, nasty nasty stuff. I still stand by the rule that it is not for human consumption and with what is done to cows these days and the process it goes through from the cow to us I am not surprised alot of people are intolerant of it.

And they have the nerve to name it "lactose intolerance", if it is that why can people who cannot stomach milk eat cheese ? or have yogurt ? It's the milk I say! lol

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
loam because there are none which show SIGNIFIGANT adverse effects.

and heres some proof as im not going to take hours listing hundreds of studies www.who.int...

Read this FAQ in its entirety. It is from the site you linked to....

I have never read such dribble...

Here are a few choice quotes:

GM foods currently available on the international market have passed risk assessments...

but later says...

The way governments have regulated GM foods varies. In some countries GM foods are not yet regulated. ...No specific international regulatory systems are currently in place.

The rest of the FAQ reads like a brochure for Monsanto.

[edit on 8-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
the food industry is all corrupt, last week in food science the teacher quit 2 days after i embarrassed her in front of the class by proving the books were giving out false information. "proper diets" which were beyond belief. its downplay of fish and related foods were amazing. did you know fish is probably the healthiest of foods any person can eat, it hold a majority of what your body needs to function minus a couple vitamins?

i dont need your "scientific studies" my dads friend had a heart attack last year because he was careless with a poor diet (fast food, cheap foods, ect.) then afterwards the doctor told him to stop eating as much, cut down on fast food and hed be better. what did he do? he went on an almost all fish diet. he actually went fishing at the ocean and eat the fish fresh to ensure it was really fresh (pretty much free too), he didnt stop smoking or stop drinking but hes in alot better condition as far as his heart goes. (his lungs are still bad because of smoking.)

i know the facts about food, natural is the best way to go, and seafood mixed with a couple other things is even better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join