It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser and plasma weapons.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I was looking for some non-lethal weapons/projects and I found this two that look promising.
1. first one is PHASR
(Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response rifle) intened to temporarily blind and confuse enemy at long distances (2 km - more than 0.50 rifle).

It is a type of laser dazler using 2 or more wavelengths. It can use also ultraviolet light which is safer. This weapon is not especially expensive nor difficult to make, Chinese have already installed their own one on new Type 98 tank.

www.newscientist.com...

The next weapon is more interesting. It's name is pulse energy projectile and it uses laser too. But this time the laser beam contacts the target, evaporates the surface and creates a small amount of exploding plasma; this results in a sound and shock wave that stuns the target as well as in electromagnetic radiation that affects nerve cells and causes a painful sensation. The effect is almost instant when comparing it to other energy weapons.
What's more interesting is that it can be also made as lethal weapon, the early name for rpoject was Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser (who told that lasers will be never used as antipersonal weapons?).
So maybe in future soldiers will be equipped with weapons able to switch between lethal and non-lethal mode like Star Trek Phasers. According to FAS it is now in late stage of development and should be available in this year. The only problem is that currently it weights 200kg, so it will be firstly mounted on trucks and helicopters. However miniaturization efforts are under way.

www.globalsecurity.org...
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is like the 5th thread I've seen in Weaponry based on this weapon.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Here is a thread I did but no one has bothered to reply yet you may want to have a look see....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hmm, if only people would use the search funtion.

Here is the original thread on Pulsed Energy Projectiles :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join