It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece: earthquake, plates & volcanoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am sure you all know about the magnitude 6.7 quake that took place in Greece today.

According to the European Mediterranean Seismological Center the following image
shows the location of the epicenter of the quake:
external image

Seismic activity has increased. That´s a fact we all agree.
If we look carefully to the area where this last strong quake has taken place, we will be able to see that it is a place where different plates come together: the Eurasian Plate, the Turkish Plate, the African Plate and the Aegan Plate. See next image provided by Volcano World

On the other hand, we have several different volcanoes located nearby the epicenter of the quake: Kos, Methana, Milos, Mysyros, Santorini, Yali...

"It was a very powerful quake which shook all of Greece. There have been dozens of aftershocks, four with a magnitude of 5," said institute head Giorgos Stavrakakis. "The quake occurred deep undersea and that's what saved us."
CNN full story

Therefore, from the information above, my question is:
Do you think this quake has been caused by the movements of the plates or do you expect a volcano eruption this year in the area?

Thank you for your answers.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
...Does anyone know if there were any casualties?

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think this quake was caused by moving plate, but I´m just guessing. But moving plates and eartquakes can also trigger volcanoes. Santorini is famous. Santorini exploded (bigtime) by the time Moses made himself famous by dividing the water, and after he and his people had crossed, the water came back and drowned the Egyption soldiers who were chasing them. This could have happened as a result of a tsunami caused by the Santorini explosion. That very same tsunami might also have killed off the ancient civilization of the Minoans living at Crete at that time...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
...Does anyone know if there were any casualties?

--Kit.

No, Kit. I have checked different news (Tv and written), but there is no information on casualties. It seems there were only some people injured (but nothing serious).

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hellmutt, I am with you. Plate boundaries should be responsible for this quake. But as you mention, a possible increase of activity (volcano) should also be considered.

I still wonder what all this increase in tectonic activity will bring us.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
``

i think you've got the jist-of-it

however, aren't those dormant volcanos in that Greek island chain
sort of cyclical and recurring over longer periods of time....

i think Santorini is thought to be 'over-due' for an eruption.

my take on the whole thing is that the plate boundry and a geological
"Hot Spot" do a dance of sorts....in that each underground feature affects
the other.... and every so often- -> there occurs a catastrophic event

this Greek phenomena contrasts with another famous 'hot-spot'
which is in the Hawiian Island chain....but that one in Hawaii relieves its pressure quite differently than Santorini 2 (a place with more than many churches) and the other dormant volcanos in the Greek chain of islands.

let the Last Tango begin...again!

top topics

join