It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Information for Sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This company collects and sells your information (cell phone number, name, address) to whoever wants it. For a fee. They also sell a record of calls made from your phone. To anyone.

Anyone you call can find out your name and ADDRESS.

Cell Phone Number Reaearch

Find Name and Address from number. Additional Cell Reverses available including Canadian Cell $85, and International Cell $250.

This is exactly why it bothers me that our 'private' information is no longer considered private. Sure, maybe the government has a right to know if I'm calling a terrorist on my cell phone (if I had one) but it's nobody's else's business who I'm calling.

I guess if I'm not doing anything wrong, then I shouldn't worry, huh?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Go with verizon.. Thier privacy policy was put to the test with the RIAA.. They kick ass in that respect..

They spent something like 10 million dollars protecting the privacy of 4 people accused of downloading music off the net.. In the end they won and the RIAA practically dissapeared..

But i would say if you want someone who is good on peoples privacy go with them.. Not many other companies you can say that about..

BTW that isnt a big thing.. if you wanted to know a name and such from a phone # just type it in google.. watch what comes up..

[edit on 1/8/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Go with verizon.. Thier privacy policy was put to the test with the RIAA.. They kick ass in that respect..

Wow, thats a good point man, some private companies might be better equipped to protect people from these sorts of things, regardless of the legality of it, and I'd think that that applies to all sorts of subjects.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hi BH

I beat you to it. Na ne na ne boo boo

Abovetopsecret thread

Nothing wrong with continuing on though.

The problem with this goes a lot deeper than finding out your name and address. If someone purchases your phone records, they have just datamined a lot of your life. Your doctors name, your work, your lovers, family, pharmacy, bank, etc. Basically all your contacts. They can then purchase their phone records, and do the same with them.

Incredibly you can purchase the FBi's agent phone records too. Or your local detectives, and find out who they have been talking with. Their informants for example.

I wonder who Tom Delay has been talking to this week?

But if the goverment wants access to these same records, they have to get a court order, (except the NSA).

It is not limited to the U.S. either. A Canadian Privacy Commissions had her entire phone records for her home, and government issue Blackberry handed to her, just to make a point. She was so shocked she was near tears.

As for Verizon, they did go after one of these companies. Once. But they settled out of court. If they had really wanted to make an impact to get this stopped, they would have gone for the conviction to set a legal standard. On top of that, they have been quoted as saying that they are aware of 100 of these companies, but they only went after one.

[edit-link]

[edit on 1/8/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Hi BH

I beat you to it. Na ne na ne boo boo

Abovetopsecret thread

Oops! I deserve a lashing, too. I didn't search first!

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Go with verizon.. Thier privacy policy was put to the test with the RIAA.. They kick ass in that respect.

These leaked cell phone records are not really the phone companies fault. That personal info is obtained less than legally, either by bribing an employee, or pretending to be a phone's owner and duping the phone company, or searching trash containers for non-shredded paper, etc...

Phone companies never knowingly give out your personal info to anyone expect law enforcement.

Those unlisted cell phone numbers databases you find circulating on the internet are built from info sold by unethical sellers you previously made business with. For example lets say you buy online, you provide the seller with your shipping address along with your cell phone number, well that info could end up in one of those databases.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hahaha

Nonsense, no lashings here.

Feel free to continue on with the thread. Mine sort-of died anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
Phone companies never knowingly give out your personal info to anyone expect law enforcement.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't make me feel any better. If I thought 100% of law enforcememt and government agencies (who have a right to this information) were the least bit ethical and not filled with corruption, I'd have nothing to worry about...

But this is the problem with the government having unlimited access to all your personal information (via RFIDs, verichips, etc.). Basically, they can't be trusted.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
you know what really pisses me off about this.... is the fact that we dont get paid royalties for these companies buying and selling our info....without us doing what we do they wouldnt have any info to buy and sell...therefore by intellectual properties rights we should get a percentage of their profits.....maybe im warped but thats about how i see it...these companies are making goodness only knows how much money doing this and we dont see a penny ...maybe someone should sue these companies tand get them to pay us for their using our info for profit..like i said if i didnt do the things i did they wouldnt have info to trade on me and hence wouldnt make money.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TONE23
like i said if i didnt do the things i did they wouldnt have info to trade on me and hence wouldnt make money.

Exactly! And whose choice is it to 'do the things you do'?

It's interesting how in today's society, people feel such a need to have cell phones. Kids have them, moms need them and business people gotsta have them! I wonder how we survived before they came along...

Lately, with the importance and perceived necessity of cell phones, palm pilots, blueberries, ipods and x-boxex, I wonder what kind of a 'matrix' we're all volunteering to be connected to.

I don't own any of those things. With all the RFIDs and chips and implant technology, I have no interest in giving a would-be opressive government or other agency any more opportunity of butting into my life than they already have.

I often think how easily undesireable information could be sent to a listener in a cell phone.

Yeah, I'm paranoid. But just because I'm paranoid...

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
well of course its my choice to do the things i do..thats not really my arguement..my point is ... if i didnt do the things i did they wouldnt have info on my actions im not complaining that they track the crap i do..but if i didnt do it they couldnt make money on it,..therefore i want compensation for them making money off of my info..its my info its my actions thatgive them the info they need to makie the money..if i didnt do it they couldnt make the money

top topics

join