It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reimbursements for privately purchased combat systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There is a US government program wherein the Department of Defense has to re-imburse soldiers for some equipment that they have purchased for use in Afghanistan and Iraq. Congerss had ordered the pentagon to do this through Sectio n 351 of Public Law 108-375, and had required that it be ready by February of 2005. It wasn't until October of 2005 that any kind of program was initiated.

www.washingtonpost.com...

The program, which is effective immediately, would allow reimbursement for combat helmets, ballistic eye protection, hydration systems and tactical vests, including a variety of body armor inserts to protect the throat, groin and collar.[...]Under the guidelines, reimbursement for each individual item cannot exceed $1,100, and the items become government property and must be turned over to the Defense Department, unless they are destroyed or no longer usable. The purchase must have been between Sept. 10, 2001, and Aug. 1, 2004, and the soldier must not have been issued equivalent government equipment.

Here are some other links on the subject
Pentagon Weasels on Armor Payback 9/30/05
Soldiers still waiting for armor reimbursements Sept. 29, 2005

The program is strongly backed by Senator Dodd, who's website offers a Timeline of the events invovled.

Interstingly, here is the form that is used to claim for the re-payment:
CLAIM FOR REIMBURSEMENT AND PAYMENT VOUCHER (pdf)
The Law (pdf)

What do some of the members here think about this program and what are the advantages of the private armor?

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Here is a related thread on this topic
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But I'd be interested in what anyone has to say about this thread topic.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think 1100 bux is chump change compared to the actual cost of the "Right Gear" Its laughable at the least the types of things our gov gives our troops and expects them to stay alive and do their job doing it.

I donate when i can to American Snipers.org. At least i know my donations are not being squandered.

It used to be adopt-a-sniper and its not only gear but care packages and letters. Im happy to give what i can to help our troops where ever they may be.

And heres the million dollar question.... Why in the Frak does the troops of the United States of America have a problem getting the right gear to do the job. Its not like we arent sure of what they need for the task at hand cuz thats BS.

Cant find the money??? No need for tax increases...just try using some of the money set aside for the 10,400 xm8 rifles the army has earmarked for 2006.

Janes Defence Article
For those that dont clik the link...thats 32.5 million dollars just sitting waiting for a rifle they still arent sure about or that hasnt won the competition they put forward for it.

I just cant fathom how our government can waste millions of dollars, but not find the money to equip our troops the way they need/should be equipped. There are numorous threads and articles about the money wasting and lack of troop protection so please dont ask me to back up my claims with links.

(k i vented...i feel better now)

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
this was just a cop out for the outrage of soldiers who are already underpaid as it is had to buy their own equipment. and they didn't even get that much back when you break it down.

most soldiers were spending anywhere from 3-5 thousand on armor alone, and that wasn't all they were buying. They were also buying ammunition (they didn't have a steady supply of armor piercing from what I've heard). they where buying things to help them out with the heat and such, other electronic gadgets they could use to help them out with their mission. One such gadget are civilian GPS trackers which are smaller and more versatile than military one who run on some kind of military objects while civilian models run on double As and such (oh that's another thing they buy in bulk). they also buy sidearms for raids and such, the fully automatic glocks were a big hit for raids. And these are all basic MILITARY necessities which should have been provided by the military. What they buy for their down time doesn’t even come into account here (DVDs, music players, certain foods and such….)

this was all just a show and tell legislature. The only good thing to come out of this is that I believe it’s company commanders or soothing (not sure have to look this up further) are getting a certain amount of “petty’ funding to use at their discretion for their soldiers, this is suppose to go towards buying non-military issue equipment that could aid them in their missions at their discretion. But this money also goes towards Bribe money while they are out on the field and such.

top topics

join