It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibility of Earth destroyed? Shouldn't happen, just a theory!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hey, I've always thought about this, and I'm pretty sure I've streamlined my idea now.

1. Is it accepted that there is no limit to 'speed' ? Something can travel as fast as it wants, beyond measure? Surely..

2. Is it also accepted that Earth is a tiny dot in the Universe? I'm no Astronomer, but I believe this to be true. If there are boundaries, they are further than a few billion miles away.

3. So, is it accepted that there can be something millions of times bigger than Earth? As Earth is so small, there must be much bigger things.

So try and believe all that if you don't already. I know those statements are so simple and brief, but I haven't got the slightest idea about anything.

So, on to the whole theory bit.

Can't a Massive Meteor/Astroid (point 3) millions of time bigger than Earth (come to think of it, even the SAME size of Earth?), crash into our Galaxy or Earth (point 2) one milisecond (point 1) in the future? It would all happen so fast, would we even notice?
There would be no Warning because of the speed, and the size would probably mean we wouldn't see it due to it being so large.

Please, Astronomers ( or people with any knowledge whatsoever, hehe ), shed some light on the subject.

Thanks, Rob.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
objects in space can only travel as fast as the gravertational pull on it, for you theory the object would need to travaling faster then the speed of light which is highly unlikly..

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
for you theory the object would need to travaling faster then the speed of light which is highly unlikly..

The fastest possible speed in our universe is the speed of light.

Anything going faster than that cannot exist in our physical universe.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the unlikely event of an astroid tavelling faster than the speed of light, it would hit earth before we even saw it coming.

Imagine Deep Impact or Armageddon happening with the actual astroid, then a group of survivors would see a massive astroid hit our planet without anything happen.

Anyway, it's unlikely.

The only reason the speed of light is the fastest thing is because we haven't discovered (or invented) something faster. Hypothetically there is no limit to speed, but then if something is travelling at the speed of light, how would you measure it? Perhaps there are comets travelling faster than the speed of light... although unlikely.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
The only reason the speed of light is the fastest thing is because we haven't discovered (or invented) something faster.

As an object approaches the speed of light it gains mass. Some scientific experiments have shown that when an object gets very very close to the speed of light, its mass goes up so fast that it can seem to be infinitely heavy. When this happens, it is impossible to gain enough energy to accelerate the object any further.

Hypothetically, light is able to achieve superluminal speeds, but something like an asteroid cannot.

[edit on 8/1/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Ok, cheers lads.

You all seem to have focused on the speed part of it.

What about size? And the actual possiblity of the event?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
How do we know that there are limits to speed? After all there is no resistance in space.

new topics

top topics

join