It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

But too many meetings stayed private for the relationship to be simply, or even mostly, one of convenience. In addition to their public appearances, the two men met several times without reporters or camera crews present. Clinton flew to Houston last September to make plans for paying out Katrina funds, then joined Bush for dinner at his home there. The two men met for breakfast at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City and did some quiet photo ops for private donors. During a stop in Little Rock to shoot some public-service announcements last spring, 41 spent more than an hour talking alone with 42 in the mock Oval Office at the Clinton library. "It looked like a wax museum in there," said a visitor who peeked in.

link

If Clinton and Bush senior can overcome there political differnces why cant the rest of the USA?
Perhaps If more Americans followed there example the "great divide" wouldnt be as big as it is. As a Non American I dont know why people havnt paid more attention to this story. Mind you good news dosnt attract much attention.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It seems Carter and Ford have overcome there differnces without being in the media spot light as much as Bush - Clinton.

KING: How is our mutual dear friend former President Ford doing?

CARTER: President Ford is -- I guess is as close a personal friend, Larry, as I've ever had. I remember when the 200th birthday of the White House came along, the former presidents who all were there, along with President Clinton who was incumbent, we had very little to say.

But historians made speeches. And the historians, two of them said that of all the presidents who ever served in this country, the two that have been the closest personal friends have been Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford, which was true and a great credit to me.

Link

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think that the biggest reason that the apparent friendship between Bush Sr. and Clinton hasn't drawn more attention is that it only really appeals to a very small segment of the population-- non-partisan citizens who are interested in politics and who have faith in politicians.

The media isn't particularly interested because, whether as a deliberate part of an overall "divide and conquer" strategy or just as a quest for ratings, they thrive on partisanship. Partisans aren't interested in it because it flies in the face of their faith-- in order to continue to believe that their own side is good, they have to believe that the opposition is wholly and completely evil. And cynical non-partisans (such as myself) are neither particularly surprised nor impressed by it since we've always asserted that politicians, regardless of party, have more in common with each other than they have with any of us, and that much of their partisan bickering is a pose designed to encourage partisanship among the electorate in order to keep us divided and weak. That would imply that Bush Sr. and Clinton, with no possibility of holding elected office, have simply dropped the pose.

new topics

join