It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will the Cold War ever end?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I am sorry this is late, but the following was reported by NewsMax.com Wires (my quote: whoever said the Cold War is over must be reading standard newspapers and magazines"):

www.newsmax.com...

Russia has successfully tested a hypersonic weapon capable of penetrating any prospective missile shield, a senior general said Thursday.
The prototype weapon proved it could maneuver so quickly as to make "any missile defense useless," Col.-Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, the first deputy chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces, said at a news conference.

He said that the prototype of a new hypersonic vehicle had proved its ability to maneuver while in orbit, thereby making it able to to dodge an enemy's missile shield.

"The flying vehicle changed both the altitude and direction of its flight," Baluyevsky said. "During the experiment conducted yesterday, we proved that it's possible to develop weapons that would make any missile defense useless."

[edit on 8-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Im glad they sucessfully tested one, but will they financially be able to field it, and in the numbers they feel necessary to make a big enough difference? The answer to that is no! They cant even keep their military equipment(planes, tanks ect) in propor fighting condition due to lack of funding and spare parts.

On the note of the Cold War ever ending, I doubt it. While its nowhere near as intense as it once was, it still rages. I just wonder why Russia feels it must still compete when the West and the former USSR are no longer enemies(so to speak). But I every country does this as a precaution to the just-in-case scenario that will probably never happen. But whats the harm in being prepared.

[edit on 1/8/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This hypersonic vehicle sounds like this 'Aurora'. Maybe the Russians have copied it or it may be somthing more advanced than ours!.

Those Russians may have better stuff than us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the threat of communisim has gone since 1989/90? but i still think there is somthing else like it still going on.

Warsaw Pact Logo
www.worldstatesmen.org...

NATO Logo
www.crwflags.com...

CIS Logo
www.crwflags.com...

Other Pact Flags
www.crwflags.com...

Who the hell are the CIS and what side are they on?

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Browno]

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Browno]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't think the "cold war" ever ended. The labels changed after the fall of the Soviet Union, but those old threats remain. If anything, China has emerged (as I've predicted for years) to take the place of our former Soviet Communist enemy. At the dawn of the '90s I said the drawdown was a mistake. I believe that all the more now with what we're seeing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
This hypersonic vehicle sounds like this 'Aurora'. Maybe the Russians have copied it or it may be somthing more advanced than ours!.

Those Russians may have better stuff than us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the threat of communisim has gone since 1989/90? but i still think there is somthing else like it still going on.

The Soviet Union dessolved on December 31 1991.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
sounds like a nice weapon, you see russia right now has been betrayed by the west, especially america, since President Bush I said US would cooperate and aid and all, but Clinton and Bush II obviously didn't adn they even rubbed the russians in teh face with things that din't even happen! all that pusshes russia to keep up being warry of the West!

top topics

join