It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Anti-American attitude in Canada???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm glad I posted this thread.Alot of good and different thoughts out there.Perhaps this radio talk show host from Buffalo was just blowing smoke out of his you-know-where!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
I'm glad I posted this thread.Alot of good and different thoughts out there.Perhaps this radio talk show host from Buffalo was just blowing smoke out of his you-know-where!!!

Sorry Arno, I grew up in Southern Ontario in the late 60's, early 70's. I know he wasn't blowing smoke. At least on channel 7 anyway. Faithful Erv Weinstein ALWAYS topped his 11 pm news with a fire in North Tonawanda. It grew to be a standing joke.

TTFN

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Cynic, its funny you mention Erve Weinstein because like you I remember watching the buffalo news then when I was a kid but our favorite at the end of the news was "Its eleven o'clock, do you know where your children are".

Do you remember that, sorry off topic here but I remember my family over the years commenting on how this should be asked on every news station.

Erve always made us kids feel like he was our guardian angel. kudo's to erve
no anti-americans here!!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yeah,I remember that!! I miss Erve-We need more like him.But seriously, I don't like it when we are all painted with the same anti-american brush.Anybody remember Barry's cat's Pajama's????

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
Yeah,I remember that!! I miss Erve-We need more like him.But seriously, I don't like it when we are all painted with the same anti-american brush.Anybody remember Barry's cat's Pajama's????

Sorry, I don't recall that one. Though I do remember a certain cartoon super hero and his proton pills. And the ever-so-campy theme song. "Roger Ramjet he's our hero fighting for the nation....The intro and credits were longer than the cartoon itself. Gawd how I miss that crap!
Now our children and grand children can only look forward to purple dinos and watered down Bugs Bunny and Road Runner flicks. I love our American neighbours, it's their leaders that scare the you know what out of me!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
'Rocketship 7" was certainly classic am cartoons. The Americans always had the best stations for the funny's, maybe we have be ingrained as little children to be envious of our neighbors for their animated antics.

When I was a kid, my parents were more anti-Canadian, as we had moved from England in '64 and they compared everything with back home.

The usual, when something here in the country went wrong it was always, "this wouldn't have happened back home" scenario. Made us kids wonder why they moved here. Funny though even they would say this, it never rubbed off on any of us kids.

I'm glad they eventually stopped feeling that way.

But, if I had to choose a country other than Canada to live, I would definitely feel more comfortable living in the USA. Besides where else could I go and still have my beloved hockey AND still speak the language.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphacenturi
'Rocketship 7" was certainly classic am cartoons. The Americans always had the best stations for the funny's, maybe we have be ingrained as little children to be envious of our neighbors for their animated antics.

When I was a kid, my parents were more anti-Canadian, as we had moved from England in '64 and they compared everything with back home.

The usual, when something here in the country went wrong it was always, "this wouldn't have happened back home" scenario. Made us kids wonder why they moved here. Funny though even they would say this, it never rubbed off on any of us kids.

I'm glad they eventually stopped feeling that way.

But, if I had to choose a country other than Canada to live, I would definitely feel more comfortable living in the USA. Besides where else could I go and still have my beloved hockey AND still speak the language.

Yes! My Bad!!! I forgot about Dave and Promo and Commander Tom. It must be senility, or the cheap drugs I was on. Anyway, here's to day tripping down memory lane.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Iwas going to mention that!! Darn!!I loved Commander Tom and Promo and Davie and Goliath too.How about Gumby??? Remember him and his ponie pal pokie too?? I had a theory on why that show was created.I think it was created so that hippies from the 60's could drop '___' at 6:30 in the morning and go zipping into books with gumby and his pals,prickle and Goo.Don't the block heads remind you of anybody??

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more with Cynic and Alphacentari.If I had the choice to move to another Country it would be the U.S. I did have the opportunity to move about 12 years ago,but my wife didn't want to leave this area for family reasons.The only place I wouldn't want to live in the U.S is in Erie county in western NY.They tax like (liberal) Canadians!!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
It seems that anyone on the airwaves, particularly in a hole such as Buffalo, is going to try to make a statement that will set them apart from the rest of the 1000's of other DJ's in their area to create or keep an audience. Howard Stern is a prime example .... use shock tactics to make and keep people talking about you to ensure your own longevity.
Canadians slagging the US is not news, it's a fact! Reporting it in the states is like riding a wave, like ignoring the real problems afflicting the folks that matter.
Like ignoring Dick cheney shooting his hunting buddy! And being OK with Whittington apologising for being shot! UNBELIEVABLE!
That's like the Iraqi's publicly saying I'm sorry for being detained in your (US) prison!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have noticed alot of ppl here in my area of Canada are anti-American. Not to say all are though. Although I haven't heard anyone say they agree with them...

They feel Americans go overboard with thier patriotism, or red white and blue. They have an obession with the stars and striped flag. As well as Eagles and the All-Seeing Eye.

Try watching the Olympic coverage on a US channel, they can't focus on one event, they just flick into the ones they are winning, once thier athelete is out, off they go to another event, that they are winning.

They police the world. Bulliying and acting arrogant

Engage in wars and disrupt any possiblities for peace.

Going through their borders, and this is before 9-11, they are just a bit on the aggressive side. They pick and complain at everything, and you can be the most innocent of a person going through, but you fear arriving at thier post ! The Mexican Border is has friendly guards.

Living near their border, as I do, 15 minutes away, it is a concern that they have pissed off another country, that will attack them, and we go down with them. Thanks for building that nuclear reactor in my neighbourhood

They ruin the National Sport of hickey, because they can't see the puck, so let's make it flash. Everyone hated that flashing puck game.

But mostly it is the war in Iraq. Nobody buys into thier reasoning, nobody likes Bush. Nobody likes war and the killing of innocent civilans or that brainwashing effect they seem to have on their soldiers, who are fighting for thier red white and blue.

In conclusion, this is not just Canadians who think this.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
im sorry, but can you really blame us for the anti american sentiments? we have to live right next door to you guys and are so interconnected with you that when (not if) your empire collapses we'll get dragged down with you. we have to try and seperate ourselves somehow. that and you guys are not really helping the situation out, the world is turning against you guys and you guys get more arrogant and aggressive. if i had a choice to move out of canada to anywhere else, the us would not be a first choice, not even close.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I appreciate the manner in which Colin Powell handled a touch of Anti-American sentiment. Love him, or hate him...these are the finest words he ever spoke imho:

In England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building' by the United States .

He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.'

You could have heard a pin drop.

And lets not forget, for decades, our children have lived, fought...and died together:

Robert Whiting, an elderly Canadian gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.

'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the customs officer asked sarcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.'

The Canadian said, ''The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it.

'Impossible. Canadians always have to show passports on arrival in France !'

The Canadian senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to.'

You could have heard a pin drop.

We share a continent...we share a history of great achievements and dismal failures...and paramount, we have shared, and continue to share our most beloved and valuable resource.

Please, lets get over ourselves.

*quotes from email source*

[edit on 19-1-2009 by OBE1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join