It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fictional Detectives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Who is your favourite fictional detective?

It can be any original character from a book. That is, he or she must have started life in hard or paperback book form. For example Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot would qualify whereas a detective like Charlie Chan would not. (He was the product of a comic strip in a newspaper)

I would also ask you to give your reasons for chosing your 'hero' and, if turned into a major tv series or film series, who was the best actor.

For me, the ultimate detective in written, spoken or film form, has to be the greatest detective of all. The detective's detective, Mr Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes, together with his friend and confidant Dr Watson, have been played by many actors, famous or otherwise. Only two pairs of famous actors spring to mind when recalling hours spent in front of an old black and white telly.

Philip St. John Basil Rathbone (MM) and Nigel Bruce are or were perhaps the finest Holmes and Watson, but Jeremy Brett as Holmes with Edward Hardwicke playing Dr Watson come a very close second.

To me, they were the perfect example of what 'being English' was all about: That stiff upper lip, the clipped upper class speach, the matter of fact way they faced adversary and no matter how dire the circumstances, you just knew that in the end, good would triumph over evil.

Incidentially, there are two things about Holmes and Watson that are incorrectly portrayed in film and television.

Holmes never said, "Elementary, my dear Watson" and Watson himself, was not the bungling bafoon Hollywood made him out to be. He played a vital part in Holme's ability to solve many an awkward case.

There is or are, in my opinion, no other detective quite like him.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
While I certainly tip my hat to Mr. Holmes, I think the finest detective in the world today -- at least to me -- is the founder and CEO of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency of Zebra Drive, Gaborone, Botswana: the incomparable Mma Precious Ramotswe.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
OKay Off_The_Street, but is she a fictional character? She sounds like a real person and that is not what I asked for.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Fritz, Good Ghod! Are you saying you've never read the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" novels by Alexander McCall Smith?

en.wikipedia.org...
www.powells.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Off_The_Street, I am guilty. I am that person.

Ambles away.............:shk:

It just goes to show my friend, that people do not have enough time in their life to read a good book or is it perhaps that they can't be bothered to reply to a reasonable post, because it does not involve killing people on a grand scale?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Dirk Gently, from Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency. *lmao* Greatest detective ever. Beats Holmes hands down.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Zaph, my old whooping and looting piratical air steward, I simply have no idea who or what you are babbling on about. (Babbling, as in a brook)

Please enlighten this humbled but avid Holmes fan.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Svlad Cjelli. Popularly known as Dirk, though, again, "popular" was hardly right. Notorious, certainly; sought after, endlessly speculated about, those too were true. But popular? Only in the sense that a serious accident on the motorway might be popular-- everyone slows down to have a good look, but no one will get too close to the flames. Infamous was more like it. Svlad Cjelli, infamously known as Dirk.

He was rounder than the average undergraduate and wore more hats. That is to say, there was just the one hat which he habitually wore, but he wore it with a passion that was rare in one so young. The hat was dark red and round, with a very flat brim, and it appeared to move as if balanced on gimbals, which ensured its perfect horizontality at all times, however its owner moved his head. As a hat it was a remarkable rather than entirely successful piece of personal decoration. It would make an elegant adornment, stylish, shapely and flattering, if the wearer were a small bedside lamp, but not otherwise.

People gravitated around him, drawn in by the stories he denied about himself, but what the source of these stories might be, if not his own denials, was never entirely clear

Dirk Gently

Richard MacDuff, a gangling computer software developer with a Chesterfield sofa trapped in his stairway, visits his former college mentor, the perennially retired Professor Urban Chronotis, called "Reg" for his title, Regius Professor of Chronology. The two attend the annual Samuel Taylor Coleridge dinner at St Cedd's College where the poet's famous works are read, igniting a series of literary allusions and historical visits redefining civilization as only Adams can concoct it.

Meanwhile, Richard's boss, software company founder Gordon Way, is having problems of his own involving an unplanned out of body experience, similar to those Coleridge is said to have had during his hallucinogen-inspired writing sessions. Rather than "a damsel with a dulcimer," Adams gives us Susan Way, detached sister of Gordon and neglected girlfriend of Richard, with a cello. There is, of course, also an ancient mariner who is tired of being "alone, alone, all all alone." (The "on a wide, wide sea" part is open to debate, though it's not as great a point of contention as the albatross.)

The title character, Dirk Gently (a.k.a. Svlad Cjelli, who also attended St Cedd's prior to the final exam-clairvoyance scandal), spots his acquaintance Richard uncharacteristically breaking and entering and appoints himself to sort out sundry strange occurrences. Prior to this, his holistic detective agency's main objective was searching for the whole cat and attempting to collect whole expenses from the cats' owners. Dirk's forceful personality cements the plot, and allows Adams to merge vastly disparate and improbable elements.

www.rambles.net...

Absolutely strange, bizzare, and twisted books, but great fun.

[edit on 1/28/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Zaph, I just read those 2 paragraphs and ...........well..............do I come across as being that wierd?

Guess I'm just too old to understand anything too off the wall......... sort of
Dien Kei Dau

Wanders back to the TKA Clubhouse....................:shk: scratches furiously at the door and wonders 'where my Tinkle?'

[edit on 28-1-2006 by fritz]

top topics

join