It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Japanese PM Urges Women to Breed Like Dogs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi used the occasion of the new "year of the Dog" to urge Japanese women to behave more like dogs and give birth to many children. "It is the Year of the Dog. Dogs have lots of offspring and I hear they have an easy time giving birth," Kozumi said during his first press conference of the year. The birth rate among Japan's women has fallen far below replacement levels and Japan's population actually declined in the latest report, the first time since World War II.

www.timesonline.co.uk
IN A sign of rising despair over the country’s dwindling birth rate, the Prime Minister of Japan has suggested that his people should take their cue from the canine world and breed larger litters of offspring in the Year of the Dog.

Junichiro Koizumi’s unexpected “do as dogs do” advice arose during his new year press conference — his first public appearance since it was revealed a week ago that Japan’s population contracted by 19,000 last year and is shrinking for the first time in more than a century. Since this is now the Japanese Year of the Dog, he explained, Japanese in 2006 have an ideal role model from the animal kingdom: “Dogs produce lots of puppies and, when they do, the pains of labour are easy,” he said, adding that he will now do everything in his power to “fashion an environment where people can think raising children is delightful”.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not sure how Japanese women will react to this, but I can imagine what women rights groups in the U.S. would say if a president or other government leader said something like this, and it wouldn't be pretty. But the population figures are a major problem for Japan, and they will suffer a major population contraction in the coming years that will threaten their economic status unless something is done soon.

Related News Links:
www.stuff.co.nz

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Even allowing for cultural and linguistic differences that has to be offensive to Japanese women. Perhaps if he changed "dogs" to "minks" at least the men would be on board.

[edit on 7-1-2006 by deevee]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
maybe they need to deal with problems of over crowding first.

Tho i wouldn't mind helping out in getting some young collage aged asian girls pregnent.

As far as offensive, probly is, but Japanese women are so oppressed that it is very common for them to be "Groped" by a stranger while on a subway. Yet thier culture doesn't allwo the women to express her displeasure

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The PM shows (as many politicians do) very poor understanding. As men AND women become educated, they tend to want few children so they can devote more time and resources to each child. This means they will delay having children into their late 20's or early 30's.

In any case, I don't know that his "suggestion", simplistic as it is, will be greeted with much enthusiasm by women.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I imagine that our "Politically" correct nation will be more than willing to tell a thing or two to the Japanese PM when it comes to woman rights.

But then again I guess he is afraid that if is not many Japanese babies then it will not be enough men and women to support the nation.

That is OK, while here in the US we have a balance of women that will wait to have children we have plenty of migrant people that will happily feel the void with their babies.

Now about the breed like dogs only apply to men not women due to the fact that a women have to wait 9 months to even try for another child while men can impregnate another women immediately.

So I guess he mean "Men breed like Dogs"

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
At the moment population growth in Japan is negative. There are fewer and fewer babies being born each year.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well, if Japanese society was less geared towards ripping off parents, maybe they would have more kids. The cost of raising children here is ridiculous. Thousands of dollars for pre-natal, around 3000 dollars for the birth?

Never mind the fact that once the child is born the wife can say goodbye to any chance of bringing in a second income. Thus hubby has to slave away to all hours just to cover all the little bills that start coming in for schools, doctors, baby goods. He comes exhausted and the last thing on his mind is breeding like a dog. More like sleeping like a dog.

Add to that the fact that most Japanese live in very small houses and despite being a very social race, the over-crowding does cause them to snap or at the very least over react, often quite violently.

Another factor to consider is the recent emergance of the 'wagamama' generation. They are spoilt beyond belief and while they screw around like bunnies (or dogs?) the last thing on their mind is giving up their B-boy gangster image, slash Metrosexual lifestyle if they are guys, or if they are girls, giving up the LV handbags, cake and looking 'kawaiiiiii'

What Koizumi fails to realise is, to make good family units you don't need to be encouraging them to breed like dogs, you need to be encouraging them to stand on their own two feet like adults. Something the 'parasite single' generation of young men and women is reluctant to do.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Please climb down off your high horses before you fall off and hurt yourselves!!!

OMG are you people forgetful or what? Or do you watch so much corporate owned media that you are believing the propaganda you hear on a daily basis? Are you really believing that America is a beacon for all other nations to follow in all things because we are so right. Get over it!

We Americans live in a country where the current administration has advocated for abstinance to be taught in the schools as a means of birth control. But oh yeah we need to give them Japanese a lesson on what is ok for a government to promote. Here homosexuals are often treated as second class citizens and our churches preach it, our government preaches it and we because our culture is so advanced we need to give them people some lessons, sorry but I for one believe we need to clean up our own backyard first. Our own government is no better on these issues.

www.afn.org...

Bush is an ardent supporter of abstinence-only education programs, which prohibit discussion of contraception, and keep sexually active teens from knowing how to protect themselves from pregnancy and STDs, and provide blatant misinformation to students.

According to a study released by the Sexuality Information & Education Council of the U.S. (SIECUS) on June 22, 2004, federally funded abstinence-only education programs don't prevent teens from having sex.2 An independent study commissioned by the Minnesota Department of Health also determined last January that abstinence-only education had not worked there-sexual activity among junior high students actually doubled in the first year the program was taught!3

And a December 2004 report prepared by the Special Investigations Commission of the U.S. House of Representatives, for Congress member Henry Waxman, found that "over 80% of the abstinence-only curricula contain false, misleading, or distorted information about reproductive health." For example, one curriculum states that "n heterosexual sex, condoms fail to prevent HIV approximately 31% of the time" and another teaches that a pregnancy occurs one out of every seven times that couples use condoms. These erroneous statements are presented as proven scientific facts," the report notes. They also make abortion sound like it'll damage you for life, the report says: "One curriculum states that 5% to 10% of women who have legal abortion will become sterile; that 'premature birth, a major cause of mental retardation, is increased following the abortion of a first pregnancy;' and that "[t]ubal and cervical pregnancies are increased following abortions. In fact, these risks do not rise..." the report stated.

Despite these findings, Bush continues to push abstinence-only education, and to toe the anti-birth control line, as can be seen by his executive appointments.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
How stupid.

The year of the rabbit would have been the right time to bring this up..

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
the year of the ruff ruff lol.population births are down all over the world.due to the fact the gene pool is weak.i dont think comments like that will inspire the ladys on the planet....

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
What are we going to do? tie women to the bed and force them to breed? lol. As some one pointed out, as people become more educated, they tend to devote resources to a single child.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
This thread is all over the place with tangents.
The PM shouldn't be handling this situation on his own; it's obvious that he doesn't have the first clue. Appoint a Baby Czar to deal with it.

If the Japanese don't want to make babies, then loosen the immigration policy to encourage others to boost the population. I guarantee he will get lots of takers - he can have a few million of the immigrants wanting to get into the US, for instance.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This reminds me of Augustus passing laws to encourage marriage and reproduction amoung the romans and discourage being a bachelor and childless.

Demographics is extremely important to a country, the PM seems to have handled it in a very awkward way though. It probably woudl've been better to make laws that give people rewards for having children, or punish people for not.

Indeed, this sort of thinking is the general idea behind the federal benefits given to married couples, they're married, presumably starting a family, and are thus incurring a deficeit but making a major contribution to the state and society, so they need/deserve compensation.

On a side not, if any of you have ever heard the word "proletariate', that word stems from the latin word proles, the proles being that segment of society that contributes nothing, save for offspring. So offspring is something deeply seated in society and this is reflected through this linguistic revelation.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Or perhaps, like in America, he *wants* the slackers to breed. More children in a social system, more people on welfare, become a government controlled sub class.

Here in America, and welfare states like California, a politician can ruin his career simply by promising to cut welfare spending and reduce doling out benefits. One who promises the most cash and goodies for the welfare folks gets the win.

Welfare is big politics, and is also a wonderful tool for controlling your populace- Did you know social services routinely collects and retains personal, financial and locational data on not only clients but relatives of clients who don't or never received any benefits? Data that, when collected by the NSA or FBI or credit card companies, send "privacy advocates" through the roof?

Currently, the system is being set up to allow for *third* generation "assistance" recipients. A first that came in and got started on the system, his/her child who's been on it all his/her life, and now their child. A whole generation who has never been self sufficient, who has always followed what they were told they needed to do to get their payments and food stamps. A whole generation that believes it needs to vote for the candidates their social worker supports, because that's they way to avoid going into a scary independent life where failure is possible.

Asian families are, in my experience, and according to data collected from the social services, the least likely to fall into this trap. Perhaps politicians think this newest selfish generation, much like what first arose in America in the 60's, is ready to be guided down that path of economic slavery.

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
Well, if Japanese society was less geared towards ripping off parents, maybe they would have more kids. The cost of raising children here is ridiculous. Thousands of dollars for pre-natal, around 3000 dollars for the birth?

Never mind the fact that once the child is born the wife can say goodbye to any chance of bringing in a second income. Thus hubby has to slave away to all hours just to cover all the little bills that start coming in for schools, doctors, baby goods. He comes exhausted and the last thing on his mind is breeding like a dog. More like sleeping like a dog.

Add to that the fact that most Japanese live in very small houses and despite being a very social race, the over-crowding does cause them to snap or at the very least over react, often quite violently.

Another factor to consider is the recent emergance of the 'wagamama' generation. They are spoilt beyond belief and while they screw around like bunnies (or dogs?) the last thing on their mind is giving up their B-boy gangster image, slash Metrosexual lifestyle if they are guys, or if they are girls, giving up the LV handbags, cake and looking 'kawaiiiiii'

What Koizumi fails to realise is, to make good family units you don't need to be encouraging them to breed like dogs, you need to be encouraging them to stand on their own two feet like adults. Something the 'parasite single' generation of young men and women is reluctant to do.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Phugedaboudet]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As anyone who is intimately related to, or closely deals with, Japanese people or business, knows this will never be allowed to happen.

Japanese culture is among the most xenophobic culture on the face of the planet. Sorry to break it to all you otaku.

"Gaijin" is not just a slur or a term used in anger towards a foreigner-it's a perfectly accurate description of all non-Japanese, in the minds of most of Japan.

Much of the attitude still carries over into first generation Japanese immigrants towards allowing their sons/daughters to mix with "foreign devils". Many young japanese American youth getting into trouble with their parents for dating outside "their" race.

Originally posted by jsobecky

If the Japanese don't want to make babies, then loosen the immigration policy to encourage others to boost the population. I guarantee he will get lots of takers - he can have a few million of the immigrants wanting to get into the US, for instance.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
On a side not, if any of you have ever heard the word "proletariate', that word stems from the latin word proles, the proles being that segment of society that contributes nothing, save for offspring. So offspring is something deeply seated in society and this is reflected through this linguistic revelation.

Your definition of proletariat is pretty far off. The proletariat contributes everything and gets next to nothing in return except the ability to survive and procreate, giving birth to another proletariat. They are a fundamental attribute of any capitalist society, where profit is attained by exploiting the proletariat (or paying them less than their actual worth).

Here is an official definition, for completeness' sake:

Main Entry: pro·le·tar·i·at
Pronunciation: "prO-l&-'ter-E-&t, -'tar-, -E-"at
Function: noun
Etymology: French prolétariat, from Latin proletarius
1 : the lowest social or economic class of a community
2 : the laboring class; especially : the class of industrial workers who lack their own means of production and hence sell their labor to live
m-w.com...

- Attero

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
As sad as it is too say...

The PM's remarks were obviously intended to insure the future of his culture/country in regards to the population decline... BUT!

this wouldn't even be an issue to his or any other country, if he didn't have several countries right next door, that have population booms and too many people to feed. Probably makes Japan a little nervous...

Our president would have said something similiar, as we have had the same situation, except we have mexico to help offset our population loss...

and yes, what he said would be offensive in most countries... and he wasn't calling women dogs, merely hoping they would breed like them...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
gee why doesn't he just offer them a lump sum payment of a couple of thousand dollars to pop em out like Australia and France's [sarcasm] brilliant [/sarcasm] idea ?

I mean not that that works in the way intended anyway lol ... Most of the women I know of (and I emphasise "of" as I would be highly concerned if I knew any of these women personally
) who did get pregnant intentionally for this "baby bonus" went and spent the money on something for themselves anyway :shk:

[edit on 9-1-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with a few points here. Firstly, the Japanese are about as xenophobic as they come. It will be a cold, cold day in hell when they relax their immigration policies. Secondly, I'm not sure the population decrease would be entirely bad. Again, the cost of living is extremely high in Japan, and some simply can't afford to have children. however, if costs of living decreased (it is my understanding that a hefty part of this cost comes from property issues) through depopulation, perhaps the Japanese would have a baby boom shortly thereafter.

DE

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Secondly, I'm not sure the population decrease would be entirely bad. Again, the cost of living is extremely high in Japan, and some simply can't afford to have children. however, if costs of living decreased (it is my understanding that a hefty part of this cost comes from property issues) through depopulation, perhaps the Japanese would have a baby boom shortly thereafter.

DE

Some good points here.

I would add however that their concerns are probably less that the Japanese race will shrink and disappear and more with who will support them in their old age. Over the next few years the baby-boomer generation will start retiring and when they find the money they had salted away through a lifetime of work has been turned into a pork barrel they may be less than happy.

So more young people will bring more taxes, etc. and the cycle can continue. Just take the stigma deliberately attached to "freetas" ,not a tasty snack, but rather the name given to young people who refuse to enter the sausage machine known as company life. They work part time and live with their parents. The powers that be in Japan are falling over themselves to stigmatise these young people and any others that refuse to become "productive" members of society, i.e. enter companies, work their butts off and become good little consumers while paying their taxes.

And that's just the guys. What you are seeing now is a move to make the women more, heh, "productive" in society by spawning more little salarymen and good little wifeys to run the system.

What they haven't realised is they killed the Golden Goose a long time ago and are now reaping what the sowed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join