It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female American Journalist Kidnapped in Bagdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

US journalist kidnapped in Baghdad
Gunmen have kidnapped a female American journalist in western Baghdad and killed her Iraqi translator, an Interior Ministry official said.

Major Falah Mohamadawi said gunmen kidnapped the American journalist and killed her translator.
news.scotsman.com...

Its beyond me why a Female reporter would want to go into the current Iraqi climate.

That aside i hope she is rescued, im sure the US will put large numbers of Special Forces onto this case.

[edit on 083131p://50018 by NumberCruncher]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher

... I'm sure the US will put large numbers of Special Forces onto this case.

And you were wondering about the veracity of the Stiglitz numbers? If this is true, think of the cost

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qoelet

... I'm sure the US will put large numbers of Special Forces onto this case.

And you were wondering about the veracity of the Stiglitz numbers? If this is true, think of the cost

Do they pay soldiers bonuses or something to go rescue people ?

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
wait for tomorrow...

aww I just edited my whole post away!??!?!?!?!

I did say what do you think costs more... regular operations or special forces ones dollar for dollar...

I know which one I think costs more in the long run (especially when the Special Ops ones are for single objectives.. like rescuing one person)
[edit on 7-1-2006 by Qoelet]

[edit on 7-1-2006 by Qoelet]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Its beyond me why a Female reporter would want to go into the current Iraqi climate.

That aside i hope she is rescued, im sure the US will put large numbers of Special Forces onto this case.

Um, probably for the same reason a male reporter would want to go to Iraq. Or do you think women are frail and fragile creatures that shouldn't leave the kitchen?

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well i think it costs exactly the same seen as the troops are there already on the Ground

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Um, probably for the same reason a male reporter would want to go to Iraq. Or do you think women are frail and fragile creatures that shouldn't leave the kitchen?

Yeah your probably right id guess these animals might rape males as well.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Well i think it costs exactly the same seen as the troops are there already on the Ground

hmm so you wouldn't distinguish the costs of better equipment/support/satallite time between operational forces huh... I guess a helicoper and a f16 cost the same to run too...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Ill concede the extra cost of some ammunition and some petrol for the Truck or Helicopter, but not really seen as they would probably be Snooping about somewhere else anyway, not sure theyll send in a F16, they only do that to houses of insurgents ?

Equipment,support,satellite already paid for. Wages zero, they get paid same since they are there.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Equipment,support,satellite already paid for. Wages zero, they get paid same since they are there.

hmm... I don't know about that, extra satallite time has to be paid for in the loss of revenue from taking services away from US allies (like Saudi Arabia and Qatar.. being the two most lucrative customers of US sat intel), and Special Ops personnel have a continual depreciation cost as they are harder (and more costly) to train, replace, equip or award leave...

and I am pretty sure any support offered them is usually at the cost of logistical support for more regular operations, but I would ask someone with better mil knowledge on this board to confirm/correct me on that element of the operations in Iraq...

either way the costs are more! Sso nuhhrr!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah your probably right id guess these animals might rape males as well.

Actually they are known to do that, one SAS chap in the first Gulf War confessed that one of his biggest fears of being captured was being raped by the Iraqis.

mod edit: quote clarity

[edit on 7-1-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Maybe the US should start billing people for the complete costs of rescues for being silly enough to go to a war zone, well bill her media bosses anyways.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The Fire Department out here does that already. I'd love to see the military do it. If you do something dumb, and have to be rescued by HFD, they bill you for whatever equipment they used, fuel costs for helicopter etc. Sometimes over $20,000.

Special Forces rescues cost a LOT more than a normal operation. You've got a lot of specialized equipment that costs more to operate, different weapons you have to buy ammo for, troops that have MUCH higher levels of training that had to be paid for, sattelite/UAV time to look for them, etc.

[edit on 1/7/2006 by Zaphod58]

top topics

join