It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium Found On Oahu, Hawaii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Depleted uranium has been found at a military base on Oahu, Hawaii. Activists demand answers from the military and claim "the military has been hiding its use of depleted uranium". The army said it was "an isolated incident" and that they have "never intentionally misled the public" about the presence of DU in Hawaii.

KHNL: Depleted Uranium Found In Military Base On Oahu

Jan 6, 2006

A group of activists want answers from the military about it's use of depleted uranium here in Hawaii. The army discovered the material at Schofield Barracks. The activists out today say depleted uranium is radioactive and harmful to the community's health. and to the environment. Activists staged outside of Iolani Palace demanded the military to fess up. "This is something that can't be swept under the rug, it needs to be exposed" said Dr. Fred Dodge. They say the military has been hiding its use of depleted uranium.

The army released a written statement today saying: The army has never intentionally misled the public concerning the presence of depleted uranium on army installations in Hawaii. This is an isolated incident.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well well, they had to admit this one and called it an "isolated incident". Next time they are exposed there will be another "isolated incident". Or maybe this really was an isolated incident? Anyway, this is Hawaii and what´s going on there is none of my business. But in case you missed the news... now you´ve heard it.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Heh. Political statement...
The use of the phrase 'isolated incident', is merely the use of an 'advanced language' to make it more 'legitimate', to invoke a feeling of someone actually taking some responsibility for the happening.

I am sure the phrase 'they' used between themselves before going to the media 'assuring' people was; "Oops!"...

'Isolated incident' Yeah, sure. On Hawaii, that is.

What came to my attention in the text was this;

(...)the military has been hiding its use of depleted uranium.

This must most likely be an activist statement, because I can't see why the military would use the DU ammunition in exercises.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Ulvetann]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Lol if the Military was hiding it then why would they let everyone know they found it?

If they were indeed hiding it, wouldnt ya think they would just not say anything?

Activists make no sense to me.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
what happen next would be interesting, if anything happens

but why the military doesn't just tell these bored activists that there is nothing bad about depleted uranium, it won;t hurt anybody.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have a depeleted uranium cannon shell from a GAU-8 sitting on my shelf here in my flat, whats the big deal?

Just because I have eleven fingers...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by R988
I have a depeleted uranium cannon shell from a GAU-8 sitting on my shelf here in my flat, whats the big deal?

Just because I have eleven fingers...

heh, as long as you don't go smell it, or lick it too often, I don't think you will get harmed, mebbe in 20 years?

It is not THAT radioactive, but it still IS!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Depleated uranium was used as a counterbalance weights in aircraft for several years. It is possible that a few pieces of these weights were what was found. I get a big laugh about everybody worrying about depleted uranium. You have a greater health hazard just driving down the road with your windows open. Look into what automobile brake pads are made out of sometime.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Look into what automobile brake pads are made out of sometime.

Yup,

Brake pads with asbestos

Very "healthy" indeed...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Everybody freaks out over things like DU, and other radioactive man made objects, but when I was being trained on x-ray maintenance, they gave us a list of radioactive sources, and if only people know half of the things on that list, they'd REALLY freak out. You get more exposure to radiation in an 8 hour plane flight, or living in a brick house than you would from having a belt of GAU-8 canon shells around your neck for 30 years.

For the record, I live on Oahu. Considering all the military weapons that benefit from DU, and all the other uses for it, I'm not surprised that they found some. These activists are the same ones that are suing to stop the Stryker Brigade from coming to Oahu, despite the hundreds of millions of dollars it will bring to our economy, and the thousands of jobs it will create, because they're weapons, and weapons are Bad.

new topics

top topics

join