It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

microsoft and xbox

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i believe microsoft is up to no good, as usual. some of you out there my be thinking "shes just jealous of succes" but thats not true. more power to those who succed unless they cheat to get there.

things used to be made to last, they wouldnt break after a few years. (i realize that this is arguable.) i think that someone in the evil corporation that is microsoft is behind these scams. they make their products to break, they dont use quality products because they use their honor as a shield.

think of who many things they make that you use everyday and might be using at the moment. internet explorer, windows, xbox, tons of video games. windows has never failed me and based on this fact if i wanted to buy and xbox i wouldnt think to get a warrenty on it because i would be so sure that it wouldnt break on me.

someone in high authority had the not so brilliant idea to make xboxs to wear out like break pads on a car. i have yet to decide if bill gates is behind this or some who works close below him but i do know this; the love of money is the root of all evil.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by moejohnson101]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Its just business, nothing personal. If we all were working on windows 95, they'd be out of business.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
business shouldnt be corrupt. i didnt mean for it to sound like i took it personal either.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thats capitalism

If ya made products that lasted forever you would never come back and buy more

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
Thats capitalism

If ya made products that lasted forever you would never come back and buy more

Unfortunately this is very true, it is the same with Sony, Apple, all Cars and especialy PC companies (how long is it after you buy a pc do you have to upgrade it? Lucky if you get 12 months out of one before you need RAM)

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
things wear out after use, its how it works. you cant expect a product to last forever. this isnt some sort of evil conspiracy to make things break. it's the way things work. I have a dvd burner which is now starting to wig out because its about 3 years old and i've used it probably everyday for those 3 years. the laser is wearing out and the gears are probably starting to grind and slip. thats the same thing that happens to xboxs , ps2s and any other gaming device with a laser.

all in all, you're looking for some sort of evil conspiracy where this only the reality of limited technology and products.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
true that. i just wish everyone was honest, like thats ever gonna happen.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I personally believe that these companies, including antivirus software, put out these virus, or put out these software packages only half complete.

by doing this, they can make that extra buck.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150
I personally believe that these companies, including antivirus software, put out these virus, or put out these software packages only half complete.

by doing this, they can make that extra buck.

This could very well be the case, i have often thought about this, it does seem to make sence.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I remember a while back reading some interviews with former MS developers or programmers who designed Office. They said that they was a directive from the top to write office so that roughly 5-10% of features or capabilities on older versions would randomly not work properly with files created with a newer version of office in order to drive people to buy the newer version, but not drive them crazy or give them anything concrete enough to take MS to court with
if that's true I think it's pretty evil or at least scummy.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I could be WAY off, but it just seems so strange that this software is constantly being taken apart. Why not take an extra year and slam this stuff, like windows, so that it hold up to anything you throw at it. I understand once it hits the outside world you will have all kinds of stuff thrown at it, but there should not be that many flaws.

If somone is more in tune to this, please feel free to add. I have always wondered about this.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
THANK YOU! these are the responses i was looking for.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
the ugly truth is thats its not business which is corrupt but people the old saying power corrupts is a truism we all have our price and when the stakes are as high as microsoft deals in then the amount of corrupt people will increase to fill whatever size of amount
so if the stakes are 2,000,000,000 pounds then the percentage of people willing to sell there soul for such an amount increases to fill the amount very few people would be able to turn down 2 billion so at the the stakes we are talking about vitrually everyone in the company would be totally corrupted and to be honest i believe the amount could be lower and still corruption would be absolute
i apologise for the lack of punctuation i simply couldnt be bothered

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I always used to think it was a joke when people said that the companies these days design things to break just after the warranty runs out but that has actually just happened to my computer, and to a friends stereo system, so now i'm starting to wonder!

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150
I could be WAY off, but it just seems so strange that this software is constantly being taken apart. Why not take an extra year and slam this stuff, like windows, so that it hold up to anything you throw at it. I understand once it hits the outside world you will have all kinds of stuff thrown at it, but there should not be that many flaws.

If somone is more in tune to this, please feel free to add. I have always wondered about this.

Because while you're taking that year to make your product perfect, Company X comes along with something similar that works well enough that people will accept it, and everyone buys that one, and you're company is out of luck, and out of business. The problem isn't in the company that makes the product, it's in the people buying it. As long as we keep rushing out to buy something that doesn't work well, simply because it's new and shiny, the companies will keep rushing things out, and they'll keep breaking.

I build my own computers, and I've been running this one for a year and a half now, and have not upgraded it in any way, and have come acroos exactly ONE program that I would not be able to run that I was sort of interested in. It's not true that you need to upgrade a computer every year, or every six months. It's that people see something come out that's faster, and prettier, so they rush out and buy it, and then the word gets around that you have to replace your computer every year.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miss_X
I always used to think it was a joke when people said that the companies these days design things to break just after the warranty runs out but that has actually just happened to my computer, and to a friends stereo system, so now i'm starting to wonder!

It'd not like something in your 'system' has a self descruct after a certain time, it's just built to worn out, sad but true, but as said, if we were all on windows 95, Microsoft would be out of buisness.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I build my own computers, and I've been running this one for a year and a half now, and have not upgraded it in any way, and have come acroos exactly ONE program that I would not be able to run that I was sort of interested in. It's not true that you need to upgrade a computer every year, or every six months. It's that people see something come out that's faster, and prettier, so they rush out and buy it, and then the word gets around that you have to replace your computer every year.

exactly. if you dont like it, dont buy into it!
I'm still running windows 98 and it works fine for what I need to do.

DVD burners are a different thing altogether; they do wear out.

I doubt Xboxes are really 'made to last', but I think mine will last a long time if I look after it.
My playstation 1 still works after 8-9 years.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I doubt very much that Bill Gates et al would be inclined to sell shonky goods that have built-in destruct systems.

MS make their money developing and selling software, therefore it would be self-defeating to produce a product that doesn't inspire confidence. The lost revenue from a failed breakthrough in the consoles and games market would cost MS billions over the next 5 years or so. It just doesn't make for a sound business plan and with the financial implications failure brings I doubt very much that is even contemplated by MS.

I have used MS products for many years and have always found that although they thoroughly beta test they have always had to update their products shortly after release. Sometimes the best beta test comes from the end-user, and with millions of end-users throughout the world MS soon find glitches, security issues etc. I can only commend MS for their swift updating for fixes and making them available, normally at no cost to the end-user.

I hope you get some sort of recompense on your xbox, manufacturers normally have at least one years cover for their goods. Fingers crossed you'll get something sorted.

Best Wishes

J

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gingerlad
I doubt very much that Bill Gates et al would be inclined to sell shonky goods that have built-in destruct systems.

MS make their money developing and selling software, therefore it would be self-defeating to produce a product that doesn't inspire confidence. The lost revenue from a failed breakthrough in the consoles and games market would cost MS billions over the next 5 years or so. It just doesn't make for a sound business plan and with the financial implications failure brings I doubt very much that is even contemplated by MS.

I have used MS products for many years and have always found that although they thoroughly beta test they have always had to update their products shortly after release. Sometimes the best beta test comes from the end-user, and with millions of end-users throughout the world MS soon find glitches, security issues etc. I can only commend MS for their swift updating for fixes and making them available, normally at no cost to the end-user.

I hope you get some sort of recompense on your xbox, manufacturers normally have at least one years cover for their goods. Fingers crossed you'll get something sorted.

Best Wishes

J

The problem is that there is not mutch compertion for MS so they can get away with a lot more then any other normal company as there isn't much choice for the costomers. I have heard that the new MS Longhorn has some seriouse issues that has put the release date back by a long way.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
gingerlad, I agree Gates wouldnt want something that would self destruct, but I could see him or one of his minions wanting it to be just enough "not" backward compatible so that people will "want" to upgrade. This way there isnt something concrete enough to pin on MS, but people eventually get disatisfied with their old software trying to do new stuff that they finally give in and spend the $50 or $100 or whatever.

I see the same kind of things with the automanufacturers who change a parts design from year to year just enough so the old one won't work on the new one forcing people to buy the new part from them. An even better one is how some front ends on cars are designed so the bumper support will cut thru the bumper in a light/slow speed accident or tap forcing people to buy a new bumper. I'm not talking about crumple zones for saftey, but rather the way the bumper supports have a sharp point on the bracket that will cut rate thru the bumper. Then get this the auto manufacturers classify certain parts as crash parts like bumpers and supports and charge a premium for them! I suppose their reasoning is people will have to buy them and have no choice, or the insurance company pays for it.

I don't think most businesses aren't stupid enough to do things that are obviously blatent attempts at engineering a defect or what not into a product in order to drive sales, but I don't put it past them to do slight things when possible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join