It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our country wasn't founded on Christianity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
earlyamerica.com...

Good read for all the christian's who think this country was founded on their belief's

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
Our country wasn't founded on Christianity

Right. The purpose was religious freedom, not a 'new world' religion.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Heh, maybe this thread should be appended to the "Iran's new president: “…Islam will conquer the world…” thread, just another reason why Islam will win.

same social degredation occuring....

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Lack of religion or TOLERANCE of other religions doesn't equal social degradation. The stance christianity has taken towards the belief that they held a significant importance towards the founding of this country is social degradation. By digging their claws deep into the government in an attempt to change what our founding father's seth forth to create is social degradation. Christians have got to learn they are NOT the only one's. Same with all religions. Especially the monothiestic one's.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
Lack of religion or TOLERANCE of other religions doesn't equal social degradation. The stance christianity has taken towards the belief that they held a significant importance towards the founding of this country is social degradation.

I agree!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

The purpose was political freedom, which of course includes religious freedom. While it's true that the US was founded as a secular nation, Christianity certainly played a role in the state governments, many of which disallowed nonchristians from holding offices as late as the early 20th century.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
spamandham,

Where do you get that from? This is the first time I've heard of anything like that.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Originally posted by queenannie38

The purpose was political freedom, which of course includes religious freedom.

Correct me if I'm wrong--I'm going on memory, here. But weren't the two main issues that compelled the Founding Fathers unfair taxation and compulsory membership in the Church of England?

While it's true that the US was founded as a secular nation, Christianity certainly played a role in the state governments, many of which disallowed nonchristians from holding offices as late as the early 20th century.

But that was not the aim or doing of the actual 'Founding Fathers.' Their intentions and values died out not long after they did.

Just like (IMO) the original disciples.

Think about the two things that arose from their quickly extinguished flames--perversions built of ashes and coal...

[edit on 1/7/2006 by queenannie38]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Although the last post summarily put the motive for the colonists on taxes and church. I believe it was founded on the desire to be FREE. Free to make THEIR independent choices and FREE from having anyone other than someone THEY invited, into their homes. Freedom is free from search and seizure, free from cencership, CHURCH, at that time.

One only has to look at the FIRST edition of the Constitution to resolve the question as to the motives of the colonists away from England. Real Christianity, in my opinion, progressed later.Cordially, LEGALCATALYST.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This isn't a conspiracy, and if you look in PTS, I have covered this already. Very in depth, and many times. Go and learn, young Skywalker.

new topics

top topics

join