It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Replicators are here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Forget self assembling robots with delusions of grandeur that they copy themselves, here is something truly fascinating/frightning.

Scientists have long been fascinated by how living cells are able to replicate DNA using building blocks floating randomly inside the cell’s nucleus.....

......To artificially recreate this process, a research team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), headed by Joseph Jacobson, created robots capable of latching onto one another in specific sequences.

LINK

So basically they come in hundreds of tiny pieces, which latch on to each other to form a coherent body, shoot them and they will simply fall apart and reassemble. Replicators anyone? (Stargate).

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Shadow88]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great post never heard of this befor, i thought it was just creative thoughts of the stargate writers, and today someone was telling me how "replicators" are based on a old scientific theory on machine reproducing from basic metals.
We have giving them the ability to co-operate with each other, all they need now is a purpose and the ability to reproduce and we are done for.
Very scary!

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
All they would need to truly become like the replicators is a way to convert matter into copies of themselves, but it would have to be done at the nano level, as a robotic factory on each module would be huge unless we found a way to scale it down.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
All they would need to truly become like the replicators is a way to convert matter into copies of themselves, but it would have to be done at the nano level, as a robotic factory on each module would be huge unless we found a way to scale it down.

The reason replicators are scary is because if the Asgard cannot destroy them, then we better bend over an kiss our butts goodbye.They can become attractive humans as well, interesting post.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by siriuslyone]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You're talking like that is an easy prospect. It isn't and will be many decades before we reach that level of control most likely.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone

The reason replicators are scary is because if the Asgard cannot destroy them, then we better bend over an kiss our butts goodbye.They can become attractive humans as well, interesting post.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by siriuslyone]

Well, we can only hope O'Neill finds the Ancient repository of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   

You're talking like that is an easy prospect. It isn't and will be many decades before we reach that level of control most likely.

Meh not really......remember two decade ago? Mobile phones bigger than tv's, Computers with a whopping 4 MB's of Disk space
and who had dreamed of the Ipod. Remember weve come from 60 gigabytes filling up an entire floor, to it filling less than your pocket.

My point is that technology is developing so fast, i wouldnt be surprised if they develop it much much sooner.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Well, we can only hope O'Neill finds the Ancient repository of knowledge

Me too, but he need to be nicer to Thor, thus creating the good karma he needs to finally find the site.
Wonder why Thor does not know where it is?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
educate me, is this like in Terminator 2 when the liquid metal formed back together, except these are solid pieces.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This could be qite a scary prospect, especialy if they start giveing them more advance AI. Im gonna be calling Will Smith for help

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
think of them as intellegent legos...

the concern is if they become self capable of building more legos..

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150
educate me, is this like in Terminator 2 when the liquid metal formed back together, except these are solid pieces.

hmm I see what you are saying. but I'd think for that affect you'd need nanobots doing the same thing. now that'd be scary trillions of robots replicating yet I can't see them.

Assasination by nanobots?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Originally posted by lardo5150

hmm I see what you are saying. but I'd think for that affect you'd need nanobots doing the same thing. now that'd be scary trillions of robots replicating yet I can't see them.

Assasination by nanobots?

I was just trying to get a general feel for this. Now my question is this, why is everyone so afraid of "self replucating". Why would this even be possible?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'd fear self replicating nano bots over the lego bots.

why?

just think someone controlling billions of microscopic robots that are inside of your body. building more of themselves.

really you could do all sorts of twisted stuff ala scifi style.

an organ eating virus... that is really just nanobots... now to me that could be scary

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Now my question is this, why is everyone so afraid of "self replicating". Why would this even be possible?

Well think of it this way. If say ten replicators replicated say once an hour, Thats 20 in 1, 40 in 2, 80 in 3, 160, 320, 640, 1260 in 7 and so on. c

Cut the replication time in half and thats 30 in 1, 90 in 2, 270 in 3, 810 in 4, 2430 in just 5 hours. (if you want to check it added itself to itself for each hour aka 30, +30 +30 then 90, +90 +90 etc)

Whats scary is that if given the order to replicate, just that order alone, they will, without question and not stop until everything is consumed. Once everything all matter is consumed they will likely just begin eating eachother, endlessly recycling themselves for as long as they have power after all matter has been depleted.

As to whether its possible, well of course its possible, i can easily say to you right now that its 99.9999999% possible. Achieving it (as is the case with all things) is always another story entirely.

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Shadow88]

top topics

join