It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top US General Says Murtha Remarks Damage Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
General Peter Pace, condemned Representative John Murtha for comments he made in an ABC interview regarding his thoughts on joining the current military, saying that the remarks damage military recruiting, the morale of the troops and their families.

Story

Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the military's Joints Chiefs of Staff, took exception to remarks made by Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, a decorated Vietnam War veteran who retired as a colonel after 37 years in the Marine Corps.

In an ABC News interview aired on Monday, Murtha was asked whether he would join the military today. "No," replied Murtha, who in November called for a pullout of U.S. forces from Iraq.

"And I think you're saying the average guy out there who's considering recruitment is justified in saying 'I don't want to serve,"' the interviewer said. "Exactly right," Murtha replied.

While I understand the impact a statement like Murtha's can have, I wholeheartedly believe that if anyone has earned the right to say what he thinks about joining the military, it is a decorated 37-year Vietnam War Marine veteran.

I see a real danger of suppression of speech because of the perceived impact it might have and I think it is a real concern. Sometimes the truth has a less than desired impact on the population, but that doesn’t mean that it should be withheld. Many say it sends the wrong message. I submit that it sends the right message. That being that this war is not worth fighting.

For Murtha to suppress his opinion or make a false statement, because it might have some negative repercussions, is simply lying to the public. And we have enough of that going on these days. What we need is a little more truth about the situation of our government, the military and this war.

Washington Post
CBS News
Olympian

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
WOW. Great find!

I have seen similar statements from ex-officers in the past - but the documentation seems to have disappeared from the Net. One guy I remember stated very explicitly that the US military fronted for corporate expansion - he was very very angry. Sorry, but I don't remember his name or any details. His letters, memos, statements or whatever were floating around the Net maybe 3 or 4 years ago - then they basically disappeared.

new topics

join