It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs can detect cancer with up to a 97% accuracy rate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Report: Dogs can smell cancer

Researchers say dogs can be trained to detect both early and late stage lung and breast cancer in humans.

A study to be published in the March 2006 issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies says dogs may have the capacity to contribute to early cancer detection...

Five household dogs were trained within a 3-week period to detect lung or breast cancer by sniffing the breath of cancer participants. The dogs detected cancer between 88 percent and 97 percent of the time, the study said...

This has profound implications and is simply amazing.

Here is an older thread on the subject, which includes other previous studies.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Actually they also have seizure dogs. Certain dogs have an ability to sence when thier charge is about to have a seizure and will (force is the wrong word) have them lie down and make sure they are safe. They stay with them untill after the seizure passes and then can get help if needed

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
FredT

I had heard that before too...

Cancer detection, however, has a much broader application.

I also recently read that dogs were being used for termite inspection.

It seems an entire cottage industry will be built around our "best-friend's" olfactory abilities. This has already become particularly true in the security and war on terror arenas.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I remember reading a story a few years back about a woman who attributed her dog with saving her life over a melanoma she had no clue she had. It seems some dogs also just instinctively know cancer is bad.

I believe her devoted pet one day just came up from behind snarling and took a good bite on the back of her leg. She discovered an advanced melanoma at the site of the bite and rushed off to the Dr. pretty much just in the nick of time.

Our companions truly are amazing, there is nothing like a good devoted pet.

new topics

top topics

join