It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bogus PayPal E-Mails Sent to ATS Users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Over the past few days I have received a number of bogus e-mails claiming to be from PayPal (online payment service provider).

Now I receive these quite regularly along with the rest of the spam that accumulates in my inbox, however over the last week I have found a troubling discernation, these fake e-mails are being directed to ATS webmail/e-mail accounts (both real and also non-existent) using the CC field.

I would like to post the following notes which have come directly from PayPal's website - www.paypal.com:

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:

Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: www.paypal.co.uk...

Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".

Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.

Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, National Insurance Number, or mother's maiden name.

I would like to ask all ATS webmail/e-mail account holders to take care to avoid such e-mails.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It is useful to note that the above guidelines quoted from PayPal are useful for any email you receive from financial institutions.

Anytime you recieve such an email never click on links provided within the email. If you use that financial institutions services, enter any URL manually into your browser's location field.

I've gone to some of the links provided in similar email in the past and when they ask for your social security number, credit card security numbers ( the 3 or 4 digit number printed on the back or front of the card ), or your ATM PIN number you KNOW these are scams.

The scam is commonly referred to as phishing. It is a big problem and is one of the most effective tools of identity theft.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Simon,

Thank you for the warning.
That sort of guff is always terrible and unwanted.
I do, however, want to point out a silver lining, if I may.
The fact that the "spam" was being directed at ATS email accounts says that many people out "there" realize just how big ATS is.
It is a tribute to ATS's size and popularity.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I also recive these emails on my personal address, also one off a man who claims a Iraqi oil tycoon has left me millions. so far i have been left over 1 billion i think.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
at the risk of stating the obvious - NEVER rely to any email claiming to be from your bank - ebay , pay pall etc that claims there is a problem with your account

look at it closely - does the email address it was sent to match the one on record with the institution that claims to have sent it

it may be addressed to an email account you own - but does your bank know you have that account ??

the easiest advice is - delete the mail - and attempt to access your financial account using the link in your book marks , if there really is a problem - there will be a diffrent message when you log on

its that simpke

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
There's a few fantastic ways to identify a scam.

1) They don't need your name, account number and PIN because if you have an account with them, they know that already.

2) If you don't have an account with an institution don't answer their requests for your information.

3) If the links don't match, don't click!! Example: www.visa.com

If you do a little investigating, you'll see that these scam mails and sites are full of such holes.

Sadly, someone must be clicking them because they keep sending.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yup, I just got one from "PayPal" sent to my @abovetopsecret.com account. They want me to update my PayPal billing information within 24 hours ( yeah, right
).

Failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records within 24 hours.

Don´t get fooled by this trick, good people!

I have never signed on to any PayPal accounts using this email account

[edit on 2006/1/7 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
just got one, deleted it straight away

thanx for the heads up

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Just a heads-up regarding Ebay and Paypal phishing scams.

I've noticed a change in the method by which to entice through means of the "fear" factor.

Recently, I have started receiving "Ebay" emails, like that which you would receive when someone "Asks the Seller a question", with a variety of "messages".

Messages such as:

"I still have not received my purchase. If I do not get a reply, to this email, I will report you to Ebay for fraud" and numerous other similar "inquiries".

Of course, the emails look identical to that which you would receive from an ACTUAL inquiry/question. However, as with virtually all phishing scam emails, if/when you click to respond you are taken to a bogus login screen.

Just thought I'd post this as an FYI ?!

Safe surfing ALL!

[edit on 1/7/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have been getting this alot lately myself. And curious where they have been coming from. Real pain in the @$$!. Thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Simon...thank you VERY MUCH for this bit of information!

I have been selling on EBay the last couple of months, but am still a newbee over there, and I bet I would have thought this was real! THATS SCAREY to me and am so glad your informing me before I go and answer them!

ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK!

Way to be on the ball Simon....as usuall!
Huge THANKS from me

[edit on 7-1-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

new topics

top topics

join