It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will we allow us to help us fight terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

(AP) Nine Army linguists, including six trained to speak Arabic, have been dismissed from the military because they are gay.

The soldiers' dismissals come at a time when the military is facing a critical shortage of translators and interpreters for the war on terrorism.
CBS

This was a big story at the beginning of the Iraq invasion and occupation.

27 December 2005 -- Poland's cabinet today voted to ask President Lech Kaczynski to extend the mandate of Polish troops in Iraq for another year, until the end of 2006.
Radio Free Europe

The US does not allow gays in the military, but it accepts help from countries who do, like Poland.

Does the help from the countries that allow gay soldiers, prove that it works?

Or is the US so desperate for help, that it will accept help from countries whose policies they find reprehensible?

Is this a case of double-standards, which are acceptable when it suits our needs? Terrorists are wrong to torture, but it's ok if we do it. Gays in the military is wrong, but if it's ok if it's from another country, who helps us.

There is that famous picture of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam. He was our friend, now he is our enemy. Just how fluid is our morality as a nation?

My question is, how can we condemn gays in the military, and then accept countries who allow it to help us.

Is it ok only for other countries, but not for us? Is it only ok if they help us 'fight terrorism'?

[edit on 5-1-2006 by curme]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It is far past time for the US military to rethink its' policy towards the presence of gays in the ranks. One's sexual orientation should not even be an issue. The only issue should be wether or not you can do your job.
This policy is shortsighted, and is costing the military some of the most dedicated men and women our country has to offer.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Gays should be allowed to be in. I just think this is very stupid.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Why would they say they are gay? They had to have known that the military won't accept them if they are.

There is only one reason I can think of that gays aren't allowed in the military. That would have to be due to the fact that it would make the straights extremely uncomfortable having to shower and live in such close proximity to these people... I dunno.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Gays should be allowed to be in. I just think this is very stupid.

Think about it. I would imagine that 3/4 of the men/women in the Army have absolutely no tolerance for people of this orientation. If the Army would place a gay soldier with other straight ones, what's to say that the gay soldier won't be abused/physically harmed? You might even have people who would refuse to work/fight with gays. The Army can't put up with that. Having insubordination (say in a warzon) due to a gay soldier simply CANNOT happen.

Not allowing gays in the armed forces might be 'stupid' in the eyes of some people, but it's integral to their (the armed forces) successful operation.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The question isn't whether the US should allow gays in the military, it's whether we should accept help from countries that do, like Poland. And if we do accept their help, does that prove that it works? Or, does it only work for Poland and not the US?

new topics

top topics

join