It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who filmed Neil Armstrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I was just thinking. Who filmed Neil Armstrong when he made the famous statement "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"? Wasn't that suppossed to be the first time a man stepped on the moon?

Was there a camera mounted on Apollo 11 just for this video capture? That's probably the answer but I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Also, remember how they thought that the moon's surface was so many inches/meters/miles thick of moon dust? What if it was covered by a mile of moon dust? Could they have made it out of it? When they touched down, think everyone was worried that they might sink in like quicksand or something?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Was there a camera mounted on Apollo 11 just for this video capture?

Yes

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That's what I thought. What do you think about the moon dust?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I've never heard of any relevant amount of moon dust that would complicate a moon landing. However there are few lengtly threads on the moon landing if you want to skim through them.

An End To The Moon Conspiracy!
"New"evidence proves apollo was Hoax
moon landing hoax

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Thanks, I've actually skimmed through some of those threads. What I'm trying to get at is before they actually landed on the moon, they didn't know how thick the moon dust was. Or, at least that was what I was taught in school.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Thanks, I've actually skimmed through some of those threads. What I'm trying to get at is before they actually landed on the moon, they didn't know how thick the moon dust was. Or, at least that was what I was taught in school.

They did not know any specifics, but they knew it was not extremely soft and very deep because probes had already been landed on the surface prior to Apollo.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
That makes sense actually. Now I'm starting to think this whole post was a mistake and showing my ignorance of the subject. Thanks for the information.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I believe it was Buzz Aldrin, apollo 11?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

That makes sense actually. Now I'm starting to think this whole post was a mistake and showing my ignorance of the subject. Thanks for the information.

It's never a mistake to post something you don't know about. How else do we deny ignorance?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

It's never a mistake to post something you don't know about. How else do we deny ignorance?

Sometimes ignorance can only be disspelled by some one asking a Question.

Are we to fear asking questions.

In my experience only lawyers ask question that they know the answers to. nothing against lawyers I've had to hire a few.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The first shot of him was from above at the hatch and not the side view that everyone uses. That came later (same mission) and I'm not sure who that was as they had to place the camer outside the probe to get that shot. I could be wrong though but that was always my impression of it....

And yes - they had no clue how thick things would be and yes we have hundreds of pound of lunar rock and dut here on the Earth that was brought back.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
they actaulyl sent a probe to land on the moon and "Hop" to make sure it was possible to land and take off. ALso one of the faers was the moon would be a dustball and the lander would sink down like there was nothing there.

One of the final manuvers Neil needed to make when landing was a "Flare" and it was his job to figure out if it was solid enough to land on "picking up a little dust" was his observation.. if it was a lot he might have landed anyways, or aborted.

The camera that took the historic photo was probly remotly operated by nasa, or Buzzm, and was probly covered and protected until deployed. Just like the lander landers and the moon rover

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
On the moon dust issue, its actually something that comes up in the Creationism vs. Evolution debate a bit, the claim being that there should be a lot of dust on the moon if its really billions of years old, based on a particular measurement of space dust and the like.

Here is part of a short handling of the issue in that context, with some intereting references:

Creationist Claim #101

The story that scientists worried about astronauts sinking in moon dust is a total fabrication. As early as 1965, scientists were confident, based on optical properties of the moon's surface, that dust was not extensive.

I'd be curious to hear who/where you heard that claim from, and interested to see if the source was a creationist. It appears to be limited to creationists, so it'd be interesting to see if this misinformation has 'jumped species', so to speak.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmm...maybe it WAS from church that I heard about the dust. I don't really remember. Interesting though. I don't really remember too much from childhood as it is, long story, but I was in an accident when I was 13 and lost a lot of my memory. So, I can't really remember where or when I was told that.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
lol the area 51 camera man

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well if you want to be specific...
The russians did send a lunokhod on the moon before the US lunar landing.
I'm not sure if enyone else than the russian gov. knew the details but they probably anounced it to make propaganda end the whole world should have been aware that vehicles (and other things) can stand on the surface of the moon

[edit on 20-1-2006 by vorazechul]

top topics

join