It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Discusses Iraq With Bipartisan Group of Former U.S. Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
U.S. President George W. Bush will be meeting with a group of government secretaries of State and Defense from previous administrations, some of whom have publicly criticized his policies in the past, to discuss the current situation in Iraq and other topics, in an apparent attempt to dispell the notion that he's in a "bubble" surrounded only by like-minded individuals and yes-men. The group includes Colin Powell, William Perry, Madeleine Albright, Lawrence Eagleburger, William Cohen, James Schlesinger, Robert McNamara and others. The entire group will receive an up-to-date status report on Iraq from Gen. George Casey, the U.S. commander in Iraq, and Zalmay Khalizad, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq before engaging in an open discussion.

www.alertnet.org
WASHINGTON, Jan 5 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, who has been criticized for consulting with only a tight circle of trusted aides, is soliciting the views of former secretaries of state and defense, some of whom have doubted his Iraq policy.

The group will meet Bush on Thursday and will be briefed by Gen. George Casey, the U.S. commander in Iraq, as well as Zalmay Khalilzad, the American ambassador there.

"The president initiated an effort to broaden the outreach," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. "It is an opportunity to talk about our plan for victory in Iraq, and the progress we're making and the challenges ahead."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a good idea. I support Bush, but do think he tends to isolate himself, and the infusion of new ideas from a diverse group of people like this would be helpful. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I agree that is a good idea at least for the PO, but that doesn't mean that he has to listen to them and take their advise.

I see it as just good old fashion PO in the works.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I agree that is a good idea at least for the PO, but that doesn't mean that he has to listen to them and take their advise.

I see it as just good old fashion PO in the works.

Well, he only talked to them for ten minutes. So he apparently didn't think that they were worth his time. Essentially the photo op went very well and now non-thinkers will assume that he is bi-partisan.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Think maybe this would've been nice before the war?

Plus, I thought the admin said the war was going well...hmm...well, are we in the last throws of the insurgency or not?

This has to be just politics at work, I agree marge. Maybe he's doing this to up the poll numbers that he claims he doesn't watch or maybe its time to ask for more money. Dump in a couple mo buckets 'o billion cause Democracy in on the march!

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
he's not gonna get re-elected, he's pretty much assured that the sheeple will definitely vote Democrat across the board because they believe the Dems are an opposite choice.

Why bother with wasting time like this? No one, even his former supporters, believe anything of substance was done here. Surely even the most moronic of advisors and political strategists can see that?

Now if he canned all the McNamara-ish war advisors and the kiss-everyone's-arse political advisors perhaps then something useful could occur.

However, with any luck, and if suddenly the collective wisdom of America shot up a few percent, third party alternatives will have a shot at the leadership.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

The group includes Colin Powell, William Perry, Madeleine Albright, Lawrence Eagleburger, William Cohen, James Schlesinger, Robert McNamara and others

Every single one of those named there is a member of the Council of Foreign Relations (CFR). Nothing like a tax payer funded NWO meeting right under everyones noses, and in the White House itself no less! This meeting should send a shiver up the collective spine of those who are watching the NWO grow.

join