It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Critical danger' warning on fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Seafloor before (top) and after (bottom) the trawlers have been

'Critical danger' warning on fish

Deep sea fish species in the northern Atlantic are on the brink of extinction, new research suggests.
Canadian scientists studied five deep water species including hake and eel.

Writing in the journal Nature, they say that some populations have plummeted by 98% in a generation, meeting the definition of 'critically endangered'.

more...

Is there any doubt we are in trouble??? 98%??? Welcome to the distinction of being the only humans in history to witness mass extinction...

Pull up a chair... I think I have some popcorn somewhere around here.

More sources:

Deep sea fish face extinction

Scientists report some fish being fished into extinction

Hidden Cost of Shark Fin Soup: Its Source May Vanish

Nice, huh?

[edit on 5-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I am thinking that the end is more near than far,and we cannot change our faith.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by burning1444
I am thinking that the end is more near than far,and we cannot change our faith.

Actually, I think we can change our fate. There are always forks in the road and WE choose which one to travel. Time to change from a "me, me only me" way of thinking and suck it up or pay the price.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Richard Leakey described The Sixth Mass Extinction in 1995.

FYI - my threads on Mutation and Evolution address the processes and mechanics. Basically, it all starts with electromagnetic pulses catalyzing change at the atomic level, which initiates changes in biomacromolecules. These altered biomacromolecules go on to affect living organisms as well as non-living systems - and their numbers are increasing exponentially.

I'd say this report strongly suggests the exponential growth is peaking. We're already in BIG trouble.

The explanations here not simplified yet - but any help is appreciated:

Mutation and Human Evolution
Mutation, Disease and Human Evolution: What Are the Options?

...Not to hijack your thread loam... GREAT work.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A 2003 study found that Only 10 percent of big ocean fish remain. The latest study posted here says some species have plummeted by 98% in a generation.

Looks like a vertical slope to me.

Just found this site: MASS EXTINCTION UNDERWAY. It's not up to date, but fairly incredible anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Pull up a chair... I think I have some popcorn somewhere around here.

Nice, huh?

Ah yes... existential cynicism... I see I am not alone. I recommend matching every part of such to two parts preperation for the coming tide.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
An article from Discovery:

Deed-Sea Fish Critically Threatened

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
you guys should read more of the post here .I bet 50% of the people here would say this is a Hoxe . And even worse in the real world (thats the other 99% that never think of anything posted on this site)
The sad truth is we (humans will eat, poluit ,and destroy the very enevermint we need in order to live. and we wont stop untill we are Stoped . Thats means we wont stop untill theres nothing left .
Things are starting to get tighter (more oil needed then can be pumped
more food needed then can be gotton from the sea (wich = 70% of the food sorce for the worlds poplation .
And once theres no longer enough to go around (this has already started)
we willl fight for whats left .
The irony to this is in fighting we are using up the resources Even faster and destroying much of what we are fighting over compounding the problem even more.
If your young I feal for you as the world you grow up in is on the verge of being destroyed. This doesent mean you wont live It just means the new way of life will be much different and harder .
the world for low wage people will start to be more like the world was For the pesents back in the 14 centery .Or like russia is now .
And Im not taking about typs of goverment just life in general.

join