It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Home Page

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Was wondering what people might suggest for a customizable home page. Anyone found a good one?

I have been using Earthlink, since that's my service, but they have royally screwed it up everytime they upgrade their page and now I have lost all my links again. Unfortunately this time I can't even rebuild them since a month ago when I got locked out of the edit page and they can't seem to fix it. On top of that, they keep adding content I don't want that you can't remove. Is there a homepage out there that lets you truly customize what's on it from content to quick links that anyone can suggest I try? The final straw was last night when tech support told me to just add my links to my browser favorites. Duh, the whole point is to be able to access these things no matter where you sign in and browser favorites are per machine.

I'm so mad at them at this point I'd change my service entirely, but I don't want to go through the whole change of email addresses too.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
LOL - thanks for all the help guys!

Anyway, in case anyone cares, I have solved my dilemma. I have found a site called Tabmarks that lets you customize all your quicklinks via tabs, and you can still have it default to your home page to show if you want (or any other page you want to see first when you open your browser.

The MAJOR plus is the tabs stay with you as you browse around the web so you never need to return to your home page to switch between your favorite sites - just click the tab. There are a lot of options in the tabs.

The downside I am still debating (are they tracking me?) is that the actual address of the site you are on is never showing in the browsers address bar. I find that odd and haven't found a way to change that particular part of it.

Edit: Ah, another drawback, hitting refresh (like when a page bogs on ATS) brings you back to your home page. Not sure I care for that either.

[edit on 1/15/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Relent you could use firefox and just put all your most used links right on the bar at the top of the browser.... I think IE (ick!) can do that to.

EDIT: www.google.com... try the google homepage.. I've never used it but it seems good.

[edit on 1/15/06 by cpr12r]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
ATS makes a nice homepage...

no point deduction for me...

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well, that would be true Spliff if I didn't need something I can have my own links to for quick access no matter where I go.

And, opening this site at work is a bit of a problem.

Also - CPR - Google is the devil - how many times do I have to explain this to you?

Anyway, Tabmarks seems to be accomodating my needs at the moment, no additional ads and all my links at my fingertips.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Why don't you say just use firefox with the bookmarks toolbar and then just have any random page set as your home page. With firefox all you do is drag the tab up onto that toolbar and it is now bookmarked.

And whats so bad about google? jeeez someones paranoid

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Okay, the thing that is great about tabmarks is that where ever you go on the net your quicklinks are still on the page.

Bu the downside is that fact that the true web address of any site you are on is never showing (pain in the tush for copying links for posts here, but not impossible).

Still, I am having second thoughts. I am trying to research the service/site and finding nothing, no way to contact them to see if I can change that, etc. They do have a place in the preferences that says to make your default an http other than one of theirs, but it doesn't work.

Meanwhile, a web search of them produced a lot of hits where the info showed in the preview didn't follow thorugh (wasn't there). However, one of them was a search I did last night, even though clicking the link does not show the search.

I'm starting to think there is something terribly fishy with this site, but I am so lazy and don't have time to type in all my sites when I want to go there, meanwhile Earthlink still hasn't been able to correct the problem with why I can't edit my hotlinks.

Any feedback appreciated.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Lets see, you are not happy with your earthlinks homepage, but you want an editable homepage that you can log into from anywhere. Google, MSN, and Yahoo are the devil. Tabmarks is not working out for you. Hum...

If that is the case, and you are an earthlink customer, perhaps you would want to consider building your own earthlink website and make it your homepage.

Its free up to 10 mb for earthlinks customers, you could get to it from anywhere, and all your links would stay put.

If you are worried that you could not build your own site from scratch, take a look at earthlinks free sitebuilder. I have never used it, bu it looks pretty easy to use.

Just a thought.

Best of Luck

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I use Rawsugar.

I don´t know if it will cover your needs, but you can check it out. Maybe you can utilize it better than what I have done with it so far. Here are my current links. Not so many links there yet, but I might start using it some more (I actually forgot I had it). Rawsugar also provides RSS-feeds for all accounts.

Here´s my RSS-feed

new topics

top topics

join