It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical space propulsion: warp drive for real?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

www.newscientist.com...

This will require a huge rotating ring placed above a superconducting coil to create an intense magnetic field.... With a faster-spinning ring and an even stronger magnetic field, gravitophotons would interact with conventional gravity to produce a repulsive anti-gravity force, they suggest.

Sort of makes you think that the shape of a craft employing this type of propulsion would be... uh... saucer shaped. Does the old adage that in every myth, there is a shred of truth come to mind? I wonder where that truth might have come from.

Or is it a question of science fiction driving science?

Spooky, huh?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
According to that MSNBC article, this theory getting tested in the US by using the Z machine is hearing the words "fat chance". I don't know much about this Lawrence Krauss, but I hope he isn't one of those ego driven professors that rubs out other ideas before anyone even tests them. I've seen a few postings on the web that he is a bit of an ass at times.

Bad Astronomy has some other postings on this hyperdrive theory:

www.badastronomy.com...

Here's a link on Burkhard Heim that goes into more depth about him, but it is a difficult read. It may have been translated from German since the sentences structure and words seem a little off..but still worthwile.

www.worlditc.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I've found some interesting concepts on how hyperdrive may work.

hyperdrives from warp drives

Theories behind hyperdrive

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I agree it's an exciting prospect, but will it ever work? who knows
A few stories i've read, one on msnbc say it's rubbish and will never work

But I'll remain hopeful

As for newscientist being a good source, eh maybe
But they were also the magazine who published a story saying SETI? had received a strong, repeating signal from outerspace which turned out to be false if i remember rightly.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

But they were also the magazine who published a story saying SETI? had received a strong, repeating signal from outerspace which turned out to be false if i remember rightly.

I remember this, I believe it was a neutron star (or some other type) that was emitting a very clear, repeating pattern from deep space. Once SETI trained their telescopes at that point in space, they realized their mistake.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
Man! Generating and manipulating gravity is really gonna be the greatest breakthrough in history since... that day when humans found how to start a fire!!!

Hell no! it's going to be the GREATEST THING EVER!

If it ever gets made (why would'nt it... everything gets made these days!), that's gonna completely change human civilisation. From this day forward, one of my favorite questions will be: will I finally be able to get to explore another solar system before I die? Perhaps I even gonna have my own spaceship... if so, I want the EXACT REPLICA of the Falcon Millenium!

See ya in the next galactic war!

[edit on 5/1/06 by Echtelion]

Yes, if something like that comes along, and we are finally able to explore the stars, humanity will thrive! AND MAYBE THEN WE FORGET OUR STUPID ARTIFICIAL DIFFERERENCES like religion, country, race, color and sex!

Even if we get antigravity out of this, it would be a huge step for mankind forward. Not only we are gonna have flying cars, but infinite energy from the Sun, since having a floating platform above Earth that gathers solar energy will be a very easy thing to do.

And if we could control gravity, we may be able to make gigantic spaceships with artificial life and travel to the stars in that way (something that it has been portraited in many Sci-Fi works, like Rhama or Galactica).

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I don't ever see this thing becoming a reality for human travel.

Here to Mars in three hours? Be for real. I haven't done any calculations on this yet, but you'd have to accelerate to you'd have to quickly accelerate to 12 million mi./hr or accelerate to 30 million mi./hr. for 90 min.? before having to decelerate (inversely proportional) or creat another crater on Mars.

From what I understood about the little bit I read, this device seems to be opening worm holes (with the gravity and opening other dimensions). This would be fine except for the fact that our bodies can't withstand the forces of this extreme acceration and these unheard of powerful magnetic fields. Fields this strong would probably force every atom of iron from our hemoglobin out of our bloodstream and ionized the rest of the elements in our body virtually tearing us apart.

I just don't ever see it hapening. Not for human transportation.

Maybe this new way of propulsion will not require acceleration/deceleration in the normal space time, but only in hyperspace...who knows.

The only thing I am sure of is that:

a) there is no way the universe IS NOT MEANT for man to explore.

b) Physics are not complete. I bet my existence there is a ton of stuff we have not discovered yet.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I don't ever see this thing becoming a reality for human travel.

Here to Mars in three hours? Be for real. I haven't done any calculations on this yet, but you'd have to accelerate to you'd have to quickly accelerate to 12 million mi./hr or accelerate to 30 million mi./hr. for 90 min.? before having to decelerate (inversely proportional) or creat another crater on Mars.

From what I understood about the little bit I read, this device seems to be opening worm holes (with the gravity and opening other dimensions). This would be fine except for the fact that our bodies can't withstand the forces of this extreme acceration and these unheard of powerful magnetic fields. Fields this strong would probably force every atom of iron from our hemoglobin out of our bloodstream and ionized the rest of the elements in our body virtually tearing us apart.

I just don't ever see it hapening. Not for human transportation.

Maybe this new way of propulsion will not require acceleration/deceleration in the normal space time, but only in hyperspace...who knows.

The only thing I am sure of is that:

a) there is no way the universe IS NOT MEANT for man to explore.

b) Physics are not complete. I bet my existence there is a ton of stuff we have not discovered yet.

I am with you the point you are making in point A
the reason we life IS because space Is there fore US
to explore and to populate. saying not is not only
against our very nature of looking further and go to
place we havent gone before . but its anti religion
it goes against my faith of life in outer space and our
need and drift to find them. as they are our family trothers
sisters and neighbours.

and to go on maybe life out there is not willing to come forward and meet
because we are not scientificly mature enough
like startrek first contact .. we have to go and build this technology use it and go hyperspace then they might come and say now you are far enough because u found a way to go travel fast and go to space en further outh there to explore.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well are there any prospect star systems within 11 light years ?

Probably not.

Maybe within a thousand light years, but more likely we'd have to look at thousands of picks within 10,000 light years to find a star system as suitable as the one that contains Earth.

So let's say the star system with an Earth-like planet is at the extreme of the range or 10,000 light years away, that means our settlers would have to travel 219 years to get there.

I hope they discover eternal health before they start out, or none will reach their destination

[edit on 1/8/2006 by bodebliss]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There are about a thousand or so within a 100 ly radius. (Sol type stars that is) With new planet finding technologies we could narrow this down dramatically(or expand upon the candidates list dramatically as well)

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Sardion,

Scientist must be aware that warp drive might be found to be possible because they already have a project on this:

nstars.nau.edu...

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Actually thats most likely the effort to whittle down the amount of stars to observe when we get some better telescopes up there which will be able to detect earth sized planets as well as what type of atmosphere it has as well. It will be very usefull data if/when we start to colonize the galaxy. It could still be hundreds of years away though(not thousands anymore IMO heh) of course if the Sing hits sooner then expected then all bets are off.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sardion,

I'm there with ya man!

AI all the way!

The idea we could advance tchnologically at the rate of 9,000,000 years for every solar year that passes is a bit mind boggling.

Every possible desire will be fulfilled.

Eternal Health, Resources for all, and a very bright future.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I was ready to believe the article talking about Heim's theory not being known to most physicists because, in all my humility (
), I hadn't heard of it. I called two friends, both of whom are physicists, to let them know about the E=MC^2 thing and find out if they knew anything about Heim's theory. They both had...

We didn't really talk about the theory itself, as I jumped right in after they said they knew the theory and told them about this possible application, but was thinking about it today. If, of the two I asked, both physicists knew of the theory and saw how this application could be made based on it (filling in some of the holes for me about the magnetic field), just how unknown and untested is this theory?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Isn't this kind of how ships on Star Trek go to warp speed, by creating a 'warp field' around the ship which intern allows them to go the speed of light and faster...

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
it's more like what Bob Lazar was talking about when he confesseed his participaton in the reverse engineering of the roswell crash. I think this is another one of those situations where alien technology is going to be released to us slowly, and with disinformation. I think the Gov knows something is coming up, and want to get people ready for it.

1) Tell humanity that we developed interstellar travel on our own. That way we can have more confidence in ourselves, and won't feel that we just steel technology from other species.

2) Pull some Star Trek stuff where on one or two of our first interstellar travels we meet someone. We bring them back and introduce them to our friends.

3) We publicly become a space faring race.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Rasobasi420, I have a few questions for you. First, you stated "another" instance of alien technology being exposed to the people. What were the others?

Second, you assume the technology came from aliens, and you say so authoritativly. What evidence do you have supporting this claim, or is it just a hunch? Also, what evidence do you have supporting the previous examples of alien technology?

I know Velcro's really clever, but that doesn't mean it had to come from aliens. Humanity is innovative and curious.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I know Velcro's really clever, but that doesn't mean it had to come from aliens. Humanity is innovative and curious.

What, you mean the Vulcans didn't crash on earth during a recon mission and leave some kid the money made from Patenting it so he could go to college?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What, you mean the Vulcans didn't crash on earth during a recon mission and leave some kid the money made from Patenting it so he could go to college?

Nope, the kid just saw how easily the Vulcans put on their shoes. Then he spent a few nights thinking about it and playing with various ideas before figuring out Velcro.

Enterprise lied; the Vulcans didn't use "Velcro" per say, they used a form of maglev technology to seal using the electro-weak force their shoes. Poor fool was completely off with Velcro. Completely off. :shk:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think it's a little condescending to say the only way humans could figure out something is if god or aliens gave us the answers.

The mysteries of anything and everything is for anyone with a brain to figure out. I know there are alot of people who don't know how cars, can openers, telephones, or computers work and yet use them everyday.

To these folks everything came from aliens.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join