It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christiane Amanpour may believe she was spied upon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   

NBC Removed Reference To Amanpour To "Further Continue Our Inquiry"

Yesterday, MSNBC.com published a transcript of Andrea Mitchell's interview with author James Risen about the CIA's domestic spying program. In it, Mitchell asked Risen if he had uncovered evidence that CNN correspondent Christiane Amanpour was eavesdropped upon. It was a specific and pointed question that led AMERICAblog to ask if the veteran journalist had been spied on by the Bush administration. This afternoon, MSNBC.com removed the portion of the transcript that referred to Amanpour.

Read more to see NBC's bizarre statement regarding the alteration of the transcript.

We have truly entered into strange times. :shk:

[edit on 5-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I cannot undersdtand those that still cannot see through the illusion in this world.

There is no free press here in America.
Another example.

Thanks Loam

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm going to go ahead and quote the part of the transcript that is alleged to have been removed, loam, if you don't mind. Just so it is here as well as there. Can't have it in too many places now can we?!

MITCHELL: Do you have any information about reporters being swept up in this net?

RISEN: No, I don't. It's not clear to me. That's one of the questions we'll have to look into the future. Were there abuses of this program or not? I don't know the answer to that

MITCHELL: You don't have any information, for instance, that a very prominent journalist, Christiane Amanpour, might have been eavesdropped upon?

RISEN: No, no I hadn't heard that.

taken from here.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
If that's all there is, it would be kind to even call this a rumor.

If Ms. Amanpour thinks she was spied on, she should come out and say it herself, and give the reason why she believes this. Was her phone conversation with a terrorist rudely interrupted by a Tomahawk missile on the other end?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
djohnsto77

Why are you so easily prepared to dismiss the possibility? It leaves one with the impression that *if* she was spied upon, you would have no problem with that under any circumstance...

Incidentally, to also preserve NBC's retraction (which is the root of the "rumor" as you put it) :

NBC Removed Reference To Amanpour To "Further Continue Our Inquiry"

"Unfortunately this transcript was released prematurely. It was a topic on which we had not completed our reporting, and it was not broadcast on 'NBC Nightly News' nor on any other NBC News program. We removed that section of the transcript so that we may further continue our inquiry."

(emphasis is mine)

Seems clear enough to me that NBC believes there is something worth investigating...

I'll make no assumptions until they reveal what they believe to be the case.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
loam, if you read teh entire article/interview, you would know why you can be skepticle of this thread. The investigator himself didnt know, so what makes you think that it is true. Think what you will, coming from MSNBC I think I understand.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Congressmembers write White House to ask if reporters were bugged

Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI) and 22 other House members sent a letter to President Bush today requesting that he provide a range of information concerning the controversial warrantless surveillance program by the NSA, RAW STORY has learned.

In light of recent disclosures by NBC that CNN Reporter Christiane Amanpour's telephone calls may have been intercepted by the Bush Administration -- a fact caught by AmericaBLOG's John Aravosis. The Democrats asked for information regarding whether any reporters or other members of the media have had phone calls intercepted under the NSA program.

Well, the suspicion was certainly credible enough for some members of Congress...

You were saying?

[edit on 8-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

rawstory.com...
In light of recent disclosures by NBC that CNN Reporter Christiane Amanpour's telephone calls may have been intercepted by the Bush Administration -- a fact caught by AmericaBLOG's John Aravosis. The Democrats asked for information regarding whether any reporters or other members of the media have had phone calls intercepted under the NSA program.

Notice that nowhere in that statement is it said that they sent the letters in light of what the blog is talking about.

I very much doubt that this would be the first time that reporters, especially ones that have international contacts, have been bugged and monitored. If it was part of the warantless spying, then I'd agree, its a problem.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I'm going to go ahead and quote the part of the transcript that is alleged to have been removed, loam, if you don't mind. Just so it is here as well as there. Can't have it in too many places now can we?!

I'm not entirely sure if you're saying that bit of text was in fact in the transcript, or if you're just quoting what they say was removed for easy reference.

So, for sake of clarification, the segment of the transcript that you quoted does not appear anywhere on the five pages of this transcript where they say it came from: www.msnbc.msn.com...

If this is the same thing you were saying, then I apologize. Just wanted to clarify.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Nygdan:

The part you quote says "In light of recent disclosures by NBC that CNN Reporter Christiane Amanpour's telephone calls may have been intercepted..."

I'm confused by what you are saying...

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The article at first makes it seem like these congressmen were incensed that a journalist was being tapped and wanted to get to the bottom of it. But thats not the case. The author has made an implication by juxtaposition, without actually stating anything.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Honestly who wouldnt want to spy on her to find out any information. She is always where the action is or where the action is about to be. If you turn on the news and you see her giving a story from some country you have never heard of you can bet that something is about to go down.

new topics

top topics

join