It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the USA more atheistic now than the USSR ever was?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
With all the micro-electrical-brain-control-systems, one might think that it is. May God help the USA.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Considering that religion was illegal and churches were shut down, no, the US is not any where even close to being anything like the atheistic ussr. Fortunately, the US of A is a secular state, not a theocratic one, nor an atheistic one. Good thing that Wall between Church and State is there.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hell, we got "In God We Trust" on our money, "Under God" in our pledge, our president thinks God talks to him, and Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door every Sunday to bitch at us. I dont see how you think we're more atheistic than the USSR. I am an atheist tho.

[edit on 1-4-2006 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't think the US is atheistic at all. It's more agnostic perhaps, since science and history have shown how much in error much of the religious dogma actually is. Just because someone doesn't believe in your version of God, doesn't mean they don't believe in God at all.

However, the overtly religious will often try to confuse atheism and agnosticism. I think in a lot of their minds, they see no difference, even though there is.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Considering that religion was illegal and churches were shut down, no, the US is not any where even close to being anything like the atheistic ussr. Fortunately, the US of A is a secular state, not a theocratic one, nor an atheistic one. Good thing that Wall between Church and State is there.

Uncertain if you are trying to convey sarcasm, considering Christmas is strictly a Christian holiday, and also a Federal holiday.

As for the overwhelming American Christian ideologies:

Jesus taught us to turn the other cheek.

Jesus taught us:
" An eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind "

America had two buildings toppled on 9-11 directly due to the actions of 19 people from Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

America's response:

America toppled two countries: Afghanistan and Iraq. Neither was Saudi Arabia or Egypt.

America lost less than 4,000 souls due to a specific terrorist organization since 1990.

America killed well over 80,000 people since then in it's retalliations.

A Christian nation?

When did the Soviets drop the nuclear bomb on any other nation?

American's collective fears override their reverence for what they say they believe in.

American's elective government demonstrates that Americans trust their fears more so than their God. Americans rhetoric is nothing compared to their actions and behaviors. Americans more Godly than the Communists? I don't think so. China is a communist country, and their population demonstrates their capacity for love making.

edited to add:

Is the USA more atheistic now than the USSR ever was?

Should we measure by rhetoric and words chosen, or measurable actions and behaviors that demonstrate cause and effect?

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

Also edited to add:

Patriotism vs. God, Where are your priorities (Actions and behaviors measure intentions, not words and rhetoric)

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

new topics

top topics

join