It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 things that do not make sence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I found this today and thought it was cool, but Im not sure where to post it. Mods if you need to move it
knock yourself out

1 The placebo effect: DON'T try this at home. Several times a day, for several days, you induce pain in someone. You control the pain with morphine until the final day of the experiment, when you replace the morphine with saline solution. Guess what? The saline takes the pain away.

Just how cool and freaky is this?

2 The horizon problem: OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

Seems to me our Universe is So big it would be older than 14 billion years this is where this stuff starts getting mind boggleing.

3 Ultra-energetic cosmic rays: FOR more than a decade, physicists in Japan have been seeing cosmic rays that should not exist. Cosmic rays are particles - mostly protons but sometimes heavy atomic nuclei - that travel through the universe at close to the speed of light. Some cosmic rays detected on Earth are produced in violent events such as supernovae, but we still don't know the origins of the highest-energy particles, which are the most energetic particles ever seen in nature. But that's not the real mystery.

Im wondering why is it only in Japan are they seeing these rays?

4 Belfast homeopathy results: MADELEINE Ennis, a pharmacologist at Queen's University, Belfast, was the scourge of homeopathy. She railed against its claims that a chemical remedy could be diluted to the point where a sample was unlikely to contain a single molecule of anything but water, and yet still have a healing effect. Until, that is, she set out to prove once and for all that homeopathy was bunkum.

In her most recent paper, Ennis describes how her team looked at the effects of ultra-dilute solutions of histamine on human white blood cells involved in inflammation. These "basophils" release histamine when the cells are under attack. Once released, the histamine stops them releasing any more. The study, replicated in four different labs, found that homeopathic solutions - so dilute that they probably didn't contain a single histamine molecule - worked just like histamine. Ennis might not be happy with the homeopaths' claims, but she admits that an effect cannot be ruled out.

Massive research should be conducted in this area, and not by drug makers..there are a endless amount of cures that could be found.

5 Dark matter: TAKE our best understanding of gravity, apply it to the way galaxies spin, and you'll quickly see the problem: the galaxies should be falling apart. Galactic matter orbits around a central point because its mutual gravitational attraction creates centripetal forces. But there is not enough mass in the galaxies to produce the observed spin.

Could it be there is more to physics than our presant understanding....I think so.

6 Viking's methane: JULY 20, 1976. Gilbert Levin is on the edge of his seat. Millions of kilometres away on Mars, the Viking landers have scooped up some soil and mixed it with carbon-14-labelled nutrients. The mission's scientists have all agreed that if Levin's instruments on board the landers detect emissions of carbon-14-containing methane from the soil, then there must be life on Mars.

I believe that life once existed on Mars. Maybe some exist there now...who knows

7 Tetraneutrons: FOUR years ago, a particle accelerator in France detected six particles that should not exist. They are called tetraneutrons: four neutrons that are bound together in a way that defies the laws of physics.

And what did I say about physics Above....hmmmm

8 The Pioneer anomaly: THIS is a tale of two spacecraft. Pioneer 10 was launched in 1972; Pioneer 11 a year later. By now both craft should be drifting off into deep space with no one watching. However, their trajectories have proved far too fascinating to ignore.

That's because something has been pulling - or pushing - on them, causing them to speed up. The resulting acceleration is tiny, less than a nanometre per second per second. That's equivalent to just one ten-billionth of the gravity at Earth's surface, but it is enough to have shifted Pioneer 10 some 400,000 kilometres off track. NASA lost touch with Pioneer 11 in 1995, but up to that point it was experiencing exactly the same deviation as its sister probe. So what is causing it?

Maybe some kinda Gravitational force like from a planet...hmmm could be the whole physics thing...

9 Dark energy: IT IS one of the most famous, and most embarrassing, problems in physics. In 1998, astronomers discovered that the universe is expanding at ever faster speeds. It's an effect still searching for a cause - until then, everyone thought the universe's expansion was slowing down after the big bang. "Theorists are still floundering around, looking for a sensible explanation," says cosmologist Katherine Freese of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. "We're all hoping that upcoming observations of supernovae, of clusters of galaxies and so on will give us more clues."

Most of what Im reading about tells me we don't know the whole story about physics...yet

10 The Kuiper cliff: IF YOU travel out to the far edge of the solar system, into the frigid wastes beyond Pluto, you'll see something strange. Suddenly, after passing through the Kuiper belt, a region of space teeming with icy rocks, there's nothing. Astronomers call this boundary the Kuiper cliff, because the density of space rocks drops off so steeply. What caused it? The only answer seems to be a 10th planet. We're not talking about Quaoar or Sedna: this is a massive object, as big as Earth or Mars, that has swept the area clean of debris

Ah Ha what was I saying about another planet at the edge of our solar system?
Could and object this size make those space craft veer off course?

11 The Wow signal: IT WAS 37 seconds long and came from outer space. On 15 August 1977 it caused astronomer Jerry Ehman, then of Ohio State University in Columbus, to scrawl "Wow!" on the printout from Big Ear, Ohio State's radio telescope in Delaware. And 28 years later no one knows what created the signal. "I am still waiting for a definitive explanation that makes sense," Ehman says. Coming from the direction of Sagittarius, the pulse of radiation was confined to a narrow range of radio frequencies around 1420 megahertz. This frequency is in a part of the radio spectrum in which all transmissions are prohibited by international agreement. Natural sources of radiation, such as the thermal emissions from planets, usually cover a much broader sweep of frequencies. So what caused it?

Im embarrest to say that this was the first time I have heard of this. It seems to me if it was pullution or Earth based it would have been repeated or heard again....

12 Not-so-constant constants: IN 1997 astronomer John Webb and his team at the University of New South Wales in Sydney analysed the light reaching Earth from distant quasars. On its 12-billion-year journey, the light had passed through interstellar clouds of metals such as iron, nickel and chromium, and the researchers found these atoms had absorbed some of the photons of quasar light - but not the ones they were expecting.

Im Starting to think humans know crap about physics...Now what the saying is that light was adsorbing matter

13 Cold fusion: AFTER 16 years, it's back. In fact, cold fusion never really went away. Over a 10-year period from 1989, US navy labs ran more than 200 experiments to investigate whether nuclear reactions generating more energy than they consume - supposedly only possible inside stars - can occur at room temperature. Numerous researchers have since pronounced themselves believers.

This is unbelievable, and the impact it could make on the world is/can be unbelievable.....I wonder how safe it is?

Ok that is the list I thought it was cool so I decided to share with the people of ATS. In a nutshell I don't think we humans really are aware of our surrrounding world/worlds and we need to study and observe more, and we need to stop using the word impossible so much.

Link

[edit on 4-1-2006 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Let see:

1. Placebo effect is real - human mind can do wonders and we are just learning....

2. Latest data show "lumpy" universe - it's not as uniform as we once thought. I think it was the COBE craft.

3. Not only in Japan - physicists are working on this worldwide. Usually in deep mine shafts....

4. The bulk of research is at Universities and NOT big drug companies. Lot's of post docs out there toiling away on every thinkable thing - and some we can't think of but they are....

5. Gravity and motion. Galaxy is big complex beast and many are atypical. Also effect from other close galaxies can cause spin. We are zipping about at close to light speed - nice....

6. Likely life did exist on Mars.

7. Lot's of stuff we are still learning about.... Takes time

8. Pioneer probes - this is nifty. What if it was not a pull or push but simply a reduction in the gravity holding them back the further away they moved. Could cause a look-see at the old equations. Someday we'll know....

9. Dark matter - we just don't know....

10. Kuiper belt objects - lots of stuff out there and yes they could put pull on spacecraft.

11. Wow signal kicked off the whole SETI thing and was explained in detail on the SETI@home website from the beginning.... U never heard of Seti@Home - unlikely....

12. Dark Matter probably - also lot's of stuff between us and them....

13. Cold fusion is close and there some interesting results but no cigar yet. When it happens it WILL be front page news....

This is why science is fun....

[edit on 4-1-2006 by UofCinLA]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

Thats odd. Seems we have gone from believing we are the centre of the universe, to believing we are not, but then believing it again.

I don't understand how these guys can measure background radiation from a single point. It's like putting an instrument in an oven, turning it too 200 C then measuring the "background temp".

Because you are in the middle, you will meaure a "background temp" of 200 C in all directions. Does this mean that the entire universe outside the oven is also 200 C?

No.

So how can they determine the spread of background radiation from a single point in our own solar system?

I probably just don't understand their experiment, but I know alot of supposedly educated people who miss really obvious stuff.

Gravity and motion. Galaxy is big complex beast and many are atypical. Also effect from other close galaxies can cause spin. We are zipping about at close to light speed - nice....

I think what LDragonFire is saying is that yes, Galaxies spin. With their observed spin, their should be a certain amount of centripedal force exterted on the mass in the Galaxy as it spins, thereby ripping the Galaxy apart. But they do not, which means that there must be more mass/gravity holding the Galaxy together than can be observed.

So they invented Dark Matter just so their theries would still work, instead of re-working the theory. Putting the cart before the horse there....

I wonder if they have considered electromagetic effects, rather than Gravity. Gravity is so weak, you need alot of mass just to notice it, but a couple of good electromagnets exert more force than the Gravity field of Earth, enabling them to lift stuff.

Now, we all know that stars have VERY strong EM fields. Would it not stand to reason that these fileds interact with each other, just as the gravity of said stars do, thereby accounting for the Galaxies staying together where just gravity alone wouldn't allow? Instead of inveting something to fit your theory, why not look at the available evidence and produce a new one.

This is where modern science falls flat. The indoctrined beliefs of long dead old men, instead of actually driving young scientists to think on their own, they make them think like alchemists from the 1600's still (a slight exageration, but you catch my drift
)

Likely life did exist on Mars.

Still does!

As for the funky particles and such like, there is PLENTY we do not understand about the Universe, some will be learnt one day, but other discoveries will only come about through original, groundbreaking thought, rather than trying to fit a square peg in a slightly oval hole.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think the spin things has two/three components and I'm sure the experts are looking at this - light i.e. photon pressure pushes out, centripital pulls out - centrifugal pulls in though, gravity pulls in. I have not seen the data that says we are coming apart or contracting on a galactic scale. Plus there was the initial kinetic energy brought into the system from the parts as it came together. Mind boggling stuff to be sure....

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wow, great thread mad a very intresting read!

Well done

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
quote:
2 The horizon problem: OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old

I believe you are talking about the "visible universe" here. If it is only 28 billion light yrs. across, what is on the other side?

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Another note on the visible universe problem.

For one, it could be that the universe curves back in on itself - and so some of the far away galaxies are actually just ourselves that we see. It's that light has curved 4-dimensionally and "looped" back around to us (even though it goes perfectly straight). In fact, there was a theory that stated there is only the Local Group and a few others... and most of the billions of other galaxies are just ourselves.

And since it curves around 4-dimensionally (but doesn't seem to 3-dimensionally), it looks like we're at the center of the universe.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Take a basketball.

If you were to draw a dot on the basketball, would it be the center of the surface of the basketball? Yes. Every point is the center of the surface, because the 2-dimensional surface of the ball curves around 3-dimensionally.

However, the true "center" of the ball is inside the ball - which you can't get the marker to without cutting into the ball.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Something else that do not make sence.....spellcheck.

Just kidding. I agree that these are wild.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
one thing you have to consider is that this , and similar lists are time specific - 100 years ago - we didnt even consider the impication of 4 things on this list

and in another 100 - we may look back and titter at our lack of understanding

just my observation

new topics

top topics

join