It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if oil became obselete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well how about if my hoverboard idea did work, then what? Im sure the government would find something to ban me from selling them. It would result in a huge loss in oil prices and gas prices since it would need neither of the two. And guess what, those are some of the two biggest monopoly's in the nation.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
No text? Nice.

If oil became obsolete, a lot of very, very powerful people and whole corporations would become obsolete. And that's why oil has yet to become obsolete. We could've been doing so much more research in all the past decades on cleaner, more available energy sources, but such research seems to be discouraged.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have often thought about this. Its more than just a few people that would be obsolete depending on what the replacement was. Think about all the people involved in the exploration, extraction, refinement, transport and retail of oil
They would all be out of jobs and have families and other people depending on them like their local communites and merchants etc!!!
Its not like just a few fat cat oil moguls would loose their fortunes and everyone else would be unaffected. Besides the guys at the top are most likely very intelligent individuals that would do everything in their power to ensure they didn't become obsolete with oil as they would most likely have the knowledge of it coming considering they are the ones controlling the industry.

I know when new earth shattering technologies make people obsolete the world or the economy and socitey adapt, but oil beoming obsolete would have some devestating effects. I know things like the computer made lots of people obsolete and they eventually learned new skills and found work elsewhere or with computers, but oil could be different and potentially worse. I suppose in the end oil being obsolete could be a good thing, because I think about it, if it werent for people commercializing farming or even just the whole idea of growing food or farming in the first place we might all still be hunting and gathering or at least spending all day worrying about what we'll eat next

I don't see oil becoming obsolete let alone by some perpetual energy source. I envision something like hydrogen being the next thing and the existing oil infrastructure could be adapted fairly easily.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"Money, money, money
Must be funny
In a rich man's world"

Indeed.

If cleaner and cheaper technologies were discovered and introduced as a replacement to oil and such, the whole model of current financial control would crumble.

If it's destined to crumble (because fossil fuels and such are not infinite, and the more scarce they get, the more difficult the model is to keep up), then it would be sensible to put in place a replacement system.

I think that's where we are now. An attempted seemless continuation of control through the replacement of the current model.

new topics

top topics

join