It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 of 13 W. Va. Miners Confirmed Dead (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Before I start, I realize this is somewhat of a repeat, but thought this deserved special attention because of the major mix up. I'm sure everyone has seen all the headlines this morning claming 12 of the 13 miners were found alive. Turns out it was just a rumor and 12 of the 13 were actually found dead. The sole survivor was in critical condition but showing signs of brain functioning, a doctor said.

news.yahoo.com
The devastating new information about the others shocked and angered family members, who had rejoiced with Gov. Joe Manchin hours earlier when a rumor began to spread that 12 miners were alive. Rescue crews found the first victim earlier Tuesday evening.

"I can only say there was no one who did anything intentionally other than risk their lives to save their loved ones," Manchin told ABC's "Good Morning America."

The survivor, identified by mining officials as 27-year-old Randal McCloy, was unconscious but moaning when he arrived at a hospital, the hospital said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really feel for these families. I cannot imagine the extremes these families went though. From worrying and hoping, to the most extreme joy and relief that they have ever experienced, then finally a feeling of tragedy and sadness. I guess the good news is that atleast one survived.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

[edit on 4-1-2006 by noslenwerd]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I can't think of many worse ways to depart this world. Being caught in a cave-in is just a nightmarish scenario for me personally. Haven't we reached the point where we could have machines do this kind of work?

Peace

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I just read on CNN.COM that the miners apparently built a barricade before they perished. Is that normal procedure? If not, what were they barricading against?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wonder if the one who survived is even going to make it. With the air being poisoned and all.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yes Macuser, from what I've read, and talking to a friend online who's cousin works in that industry, that is apparently their protocol in the event of disasters like this. Build a barricade and wait to be rescued. I think the logic is kinda that if that try to dig out they could worsen the situation being that they are so far underground.

top topics

join