It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to withdraw funding for rebuilding Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Independant

The US government is not planning to continue funding reconstruction projects in Iraq, in what appears to be a major climbdown from the White House's one-time pledge to build the best infrastructure in the region.

According to officials cited in yesterday's Washington Post, the Bush administration will not be adding construction funds to the $18.4bn (£10.7bn) it has allocated since the 2003 invasion.

It is a badly kept secret that reconstruction has gone badly. Essential services have been very slow in coming back on line and roughly half the money earmarked for reconstruction has been diverted into the military effort against the insurgency. The newspaper quoted Brigadier General William McCoy, the commander overseeing construction projects, saying the US funding was never meant to be more than a "jump-start ... The US never intended to completely rebuild Iraq," he said.

Venni, Veddi, Vecci?

I Came, I Saw, I Conqured - is that the Correct Phrase that the Bush&Co can use in Iraq?

All we can see is Scandals all over the Place, Corrputions within the Iraqi Goverment and the latest Democratic Elections, Pentagon paying local Clerics to promoto Pro-US Stories, Local Militias abusing their Power and Terrorising the Iraqi Populaton, while the Car Bombs still go off in Baghdad and US Warplanes still drop bombs on Civilan Families.

So whats the Good News?

White House to Withdraw from Rebuilding Iraq?

Didn't they say, they will build the BEST Infrastructure in the Region?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Independant

... The US never intended to completely rebuild Iraq," he said.

this should read :

" ... The US never intended to rebuild Iraq "

But im sure someone got rich of it.... and it wasnt Iraqis...and with US taxpayers money
...hats off.

The spice still flows out of the country though, they fixed that real fast, while Iraqis stand in long wait lines to fill the car with gas.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The article states that half of the reconstruction monies were redirected to the military (Haliburton?). So, can we see some of the evidence of the other $9 billion that did go into reconstruction? Can anyone reading this provide evidence of $9 Billion in reconstruction? Please provide links to photos.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
The article states that half of the reconstruction monies were redirected to the military (Haliburton?). So, can we see some of the evidence of the other $9 billion that did go into reconstruction? Can anyone reading this provide evidence of $9 Billion in reconstruction? Please provide links to photos.

Well, I think the Following News speaks for themselves Really.

Where is the Money Gone?

Corpwatch: Hallliburton Wins New $4.9Billion Iraq Contract

The new 12-month task order valued at as much as $4.972 billion for the U.S. military’s logistical needs includes camp maintenance, new construction and the serving of four meals a day for as many as 120,000 troops at 62 primary camps and a dozen satellite camps, according to a April 3 draft of the agreement, Task Order 89.

Awarded under the sweeping, 10-year Logistics Civil Augmentation Program contract, known as LOGCAP III, this new task order now brings Halliburton’s potential billings in Iraq and Afghanistan within a year to nearly $20 billion -- and perhaps more.

As of May 5, the total money for Halliburton's logistical services now performed registered at nearly $10.5 billion for Operation Iraqi Freedom, $813 million for Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and $56.6 million for other LOGCAP related tasks, according to a spreadsheet prepared by the U.S. Army Field Support Command based at Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois, the military command that manages the LOGCAP.

Ain't Life Grand for Some People with Connections in the White House and the Pentagon!

The White House (Bush) tells Pentagon (Rumsfeld) to order Halliburton (Chaney) for some more Military Infrastructure - and that's the way the the Money Travels also.

When in Doubt - follow the Money Trail.

Rebuilding Iraqi Infrastructure or Rebuilding America's Defences?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Taken from the source article.

If confirmed, the withdrawal of reconstruction funds from America would be a further signal that the Bush administration is looking at ways to lessen the US commitment to Iraq as it faces increasing political pressure to start finding a way out.
Source

As anyone can see the article is just speculation, yet US bashers want to turn it into fact :shk:

Better luck next time

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
SHOTS -
You have voted shots for the Way Above Top Secret award.
You have one more vote left for this month.

Excellent Shots. 'IF CONFIRMED'. Yeah ... just more
anti-Bush gossip.

Frankly, Iraq is an oil rich country. If the idiot insurgents
stop blowing up the pipelines the country will have more
than enough money to build what ever the heck it wants
all by itself. And isn't that the goal ... for Iraq to be
independent?? If America is there building .. that means
America is still there ... something more for anti-Americans
to whine about.

[edit on 1/4/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It is a badly kept secret that reconstruction has gone badly.

Wrong.

Most up to date information -
www.defenselink.mil...

Other links -

www.defendamerica.mil...

www.whitehouse.gov...

www.rebuilding-iraq.net...,80077&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

www.state.gov...

www.portaliraq.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i dont think its speculation, i saw it on either CNN or SKYNEWS yesterday
Besides, when i watch the news situation doesnt look too pinkyish

time will tell....

PS:
flyersfan that is the worst bunch of links you could post...
.MIL and .GOV? At time when it is widely admitted your .GOV is a propaganda machine. Any independant links, some photos of a brand new hospital or road would do as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
.MIL and .GOV? At time when it is widely admitted your .GOV is a propaganda machine.

1 - These are official news sources by the people who are there,
and in charge of the reconstuction and involved with it. They know
a lot better than some yahoo saying 'IF CONFIRMED'

2 - 'widely admitted'?? No. There are some who ACCUSE the
US of being a propaganda machine. But 'widely admitted'??
By who? The fact is that everyone pumps propaganda ....
but the figures posted have been accountable and verifyable.

Any independant links, some photos of a brand new
hospital or road would do as well.

Take another look at the links. I seem to recall some photos
of new schools. Ya' can't exactly take pictures of electricty
running through wires, can ya??

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It doesnt surprise me at all. Its all a lie. Every bit of it. I once heard a man speaking of this administration and I will never forget what he said:

"Its all an illusion" "Dont beleive anything you see or hear, its all an illusion"

He was right.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Who ever needed to speculate? It's common knowledge that Iraq isn't being rebuilt except in the cheapest and most mind-numbingly slow way. Oh, it's the insurgents keeping us from rebuilding you say. Yeah well that excuse is as good as any I guess.

People need to think about all the money Congress approved for the building of Iraq. I'm not sure exactly what the figures are but I'm sure only a tiny fraction of the money has been spent. Once enough time passes the American public will forget to even ask "what happened to all the money?". The American taxpayers are like a slot machine that never stops paying off.

Peace

[edit on 4-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
First of all,

“The occupying power is responsible for law and order and the security of the country!”

What has been done to Rebuild and Reconstruct in the Warzone known as Iraq, besides the Controversial Reconstruction Contracts, Controversial Oil Contracts and lets not forget the Case of Missing Billions of Iraqi Money that US-led Coalition Cannot Account For?

But that Information can not be Found on Faux News or any other .gov, .mil or other Whitehouse sponsored Sites.

FACT is that Very LITTLE has been done for Actually Reconstruction of Iraq so far.

The Money is just Circling the Same People in Power.

Here's more Links for Ya:
IRAQ: New reports Show Limited Progress in Iraq Rebuilding
USA: Bechtel to Rebuild Iraq - Politically Connected Firm Wins $680 Million Bid
Halliburton
Reconstruction of Iraq contractors

It is not a Reconstruction of Iraq Infrastructure - but a Reconustrction of America's War Economy.

[edit on 4/1/06 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

“The occupying power is responsible for law and order and the security of the country!”

So I take it establishing a police force of from 2 radically diffrent religions doesnt count as keeping ordeR?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
dude, does it look to you that there is ORDER in Iraq?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Okie dokie,
for those who found that Independant was a no-good anti-american speculative tabloid, will TIMES do?

Times Online

In language mirroring the planned reduction of troops, US officials in Baghdad have begun talking of “drawdown”, “transition” and the “wind-down” of American reconstruction projects. Instead they plan to focus on building up the Iraqi Government’s capacity to manage its own affairs.

Outlining what he called the “drawdown”, one American official said: “US reconstruction is basically aiming for completion (this) year. No one ever intended for outside assistance to continue indefinitely, but rather to create conditions where the Iraqi economy can use reconstruction of essential services to get going on its own.”

But Iraqis complain that nearly three years after the war Iraq still produces only 4,800 megawatts of power, little more than the 4,000 before the war, and far short of its needs. Baghdad remains a special problem, receiving only three hours of electricity a day because of sabotage to oil and electricity lines.

Where has all the Money Gone?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Gotta agree with Nukunuku. Do you see order?
We are the cause of the dissaray. Its our responsibility to keep order so long as we are the occupying force.
That, or just get out. We need to either accept responsibility for a mistake, and help straighten it out, which isnt working too well, or get out of Iraq, and leave the reconstruction and rebuilding to them.
We cant have our cake and eat it too, and we cant force our way of life on people who dont want it.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Okie dokie,
for those who found that Independant was a no-good anti-american speculative tabloid, will TIMES do?

The NY Times is just as bad as the Independant. Both are known to be anti Bush, but you probably already knew that, didn't you? :shk:

[edit on 1/4/2006 by shots]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
The NY Times is just as bad as the Independant. Both are known to be anti Bush, but you probably already knew that, didn't you? :shk:

Now tell me, OH Enlightened One, what GOOD has the Bush Administration done in Iraq Aftermath?

You don't like NY Times and Independant because you do not Like the News that they post. Well guess what - that same news is REPORTED around Europe as Mainstream - not Lefty Propaganda, as you would love to smear it.

But that's the Difference between ME and YOU.

[edit on 4/1/06 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

[edit on 1/4/2006 by shots]

Wouldn't it be a strange paradox if an "anti-Bush" media outlet offered a news article condemning Bush, AND it turned out to be true? What a paradox! Bush would be bad, for whatever reason, yet it would still be untrue, because it was stated in a media outlet that isn't "Pro-Right". Imagine that....

Just because you view something as propoganda, doesn't mean it isn't true. Why is it that anything in a "Pro Bush" outlet can be taken as true, but the minute something is mentioned in an outlet "not liked by supporters of the War", it is automatically false? I know why - idiocy. Propoganda loves an idiot, it doesn't discriminate between left and right when it's turning people against each other

[edit on 4-1-2006 by chebob]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Im my opinion, independent news is the only source that can be even slightly trusted. Everything else is fed to you by PR firms. Fox, CNN, they are all guided by a higher hand. Independent news is the closest you can get to real journalism.
This isnt to say they are correct all the time either. Sadly, its all bull in the long run. All news outlets just seek to guide the populace like sheep to the conclusions they want us to make. The only thing we can do as intelligent (right?) people is piece together what we can from the few who sound credible, hence, we will never, ever see eye to eye on this one guys.

Just trying to stop this before it turns into another left-right debate.
Its two sides to the same coin. They both seek to mislead and control you. The powers that be would much rather see us bicker about who is the better media outlet, rather that putting together cognitive solutions to our problems.
Just a thought...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join