It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the UK be treated to a riot event like in France or Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What are the sentiments regarding the possibility of another France or Australian riot happening in regard to the Islamic fundamentalists in your midsts to the average brittian? I am not real versed in Brittish feelings about such things so thought to ask.

edit:typo

[edit on 3/1/06 by OneGodJesus]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
i thought the rioting in France and Australia was down to immigration and poverty in ethnic groups...not Islamic fundamentalists that Fox News stated

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You know Fox is been edited by Saudi Arabia

Yes I am having the same feelings that the way that muslin more radical fundamentalist.

People talks about the incredible amount of muslin migrants around Europe and here in the west.

They have been seen as poor people looking to stay away from the oppressing regime in their countries, and I imagine that many of them are just doing that.

But in that great group I am scare of the ones that are spreading around the world to start problems in the countries they are living in.

Yes I am afraid that more trouble may be heading no only in countries like Europe but also perhaps ours here at home as well.

Sleeping cells anyone?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
To be honest, i live here in the UK, i do belive there will be simerler riots in the nere future. I think this is because of the gap and hatred that is felt between the working class UK population and the Asylum seekers. This is mostly due to the misinformation that the media puts accross to us.

I do understand where both sides are comeing from on this as i am british born but my nan is from Scotland, and when she moved here she was fround upon.

The argument i hear the most is from the British nationals, which is 'well they come in and take all are jobs and are money'. This argument is not based in fact in any sort of way, as most 'Asylum Seekers' take jobs that most English people would not take, they also are keeping the NHS afloat with all the doctors and nurses. The problem arises when most high skilled workers from the UK are going abroad to work, and not being replaced. The workers have to come from someware.

Just my two cents.

Pickle

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
The argument i hear the most is from the British nationals, which is 'well they come in and take all are jobs and are money'. This argument is not based in fact in any sort of way, as most 'Asylum Seekers' take jobs that most English people would not take, they also are keeping the NHS afloat with all the doctors and nurses. The problem arises when most high skilled workers from the UK are going abroad to work, and not being replaced. The workers have to come from someware.
Pickle

Right you are. We have the same problemed perception here in the US. Many think that the illegals are taking our jobs. I have many legal immigrant friends and they are good people. Hard working, trustworthy and friendly. We joke a lot, they call me the whitest indian they have ever seen, I tell them to go pick some fruit. Illegal immigrants are another matter.

While traveling to the middle-east I had never been affraid for the most part. I guess it was just dumb luck I wasn't killed. Anyway, I think that if most people would just take a hard look at poverty and education around the world it would, in my opinion, show them you have no agenda other than a basic education while putting food in the belly.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Its not problem with people that wants to be better off, we have plenty of them here in the US and I get upset by the amount of hostilities when it comes to migrant workers.

But the problem in the UK and Frances and perhaps Australia is the trouble makers behind the good people.

How do we know that all these problems arising are not political motivated by radical groups.

Riots that ends in destruction of property should be look at more carefully and never rule out a hostile agenda.

While protest are protest and they no necessarily have to end in violence.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneGodJesus
What are the sentiments regarding the possibility of another France or Australian riot happening in regard to the Islamic fundamentalists in your midsts to the average brittian? I am not real versed in Brittish feelings about such things so thought to ask.

They've already had a few riots in Britain in places like Bradford in 2001 and Birmingham in 2005 and there will probably be more on the way.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
They've already had a few riots in Britain in places like Bradford in 2001 and Birmingham in 2005 and there will probably be more on the way.

I didn't know that. Thanks for that bit. I have a scottish friend, and she positively hates anyone who is not white, she makes an exception for the white indian. We live in the DC area and her husband (who I cannot stand because he treats his kids badly) is a bit of a racist. I wonder if she is influenced by his hatred? I wonder if all of this is just some big consiracy to make the Muslims look like the idiots the media makes them out to be. I wonder if we just stood back and pulled out our troops, made Israel comply with the initial borders, gave them all jobs and an education if anything would change. Hmmmm. Dunno.

Comments?

I'd really like to know. Maybe start another thread to see what pops up.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneGodJesus

Dont forget the Toxteth roits of 1981, i wasn't around then but my dad remembers the horror of it all.

Here are some links:
BBC

Here

Toxteth Riots

Toxteth

A realy horrable point in Liverpool history.

Pickle.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Birmingham riots were unrealted to this and had nothing to do with so called "islamic fundo riots".

"there will probably be more on the way"...? hmmmm...been reading up on the BNP or NF websites again? only they print far right paranoia like that.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
When I was stationed out at March AFB in Claifornia, the Rodney King thing happened and while there wasn't any comparison to what happened in LA, Moreno Valley had and intersection with rioters. I remember thinking "why?" and how can I stay away to not get attacked. They were attacking passing motorists. Strange business riots. They take on a life of thier own I guess. I remember in the 80' they used to have a lot of riots in South Korea over this or that. It was funny, I remember this other service member saying it was "riot season again" over there, like football season or something.

Could it be that the Britts are a more stable society than that of the Aussie or French, or is it something else? No offense to the two nationalities mentioned, just trying to figure out something.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Islamic fundamentalists?

What part did they play in the Riots?

Last I checked the problems in France, had more to do with poverty and unemployment than it did with Islam. Last I checked the Riots in Australia had more to do with anti-immigration sentiment and Police inability than Islam.

Will there be a riot in the U.K. like in France or Australia? It all depends on a number of factors and not one of us can no for sure. For a riot to spread the right feelings have to be in place and the Government has to do very little to stop the rise of such things. Will we see more riots like we did in the 1980's and before? Of course...when? Who knows?

The fact Muslim's have lived in the U.K. for well over 50 years, happily shows that it is highly unlikely Islam will have anything to do with the riots if they ever do happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Islamic fundamentalists?
What part did they play in the Riots?

Was there a misquote by Fox that said that it was a combination of poverty and religious problems with France banning the Burque or some-such?

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The fact Muslim's have lived in the U.K. for well over 50 years, happily shows that it is highly unlikely Islam will have anything to do with the riots if they ever do happen.

That is something that needs close watching in 50 years is plenty of time for undesirables to influence the people that has been at peace for that long.

How about a world wide spread of undesirable in every muslin community in cities and nations?

they could cause a lot of damage taking the volatile situation in our world with radical Islam all over.

The younger generations are the ones more susceptible to manipulations.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I agree with Marg, it seems to me like the younger generation of muslims seem to be getting brainwashed into thinking that anything to do with western life is evil. I think there is equal amounts of distrust and racism in both camps.
What can we do about it? I dont know, but something needs to be done.

this is just my opionion.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I don't see anything like on the scale of what happened in France happening here in the UK.

I can imagine occasional 'riots' as more and more black and Asian kids stop running from the racist element as they once did and instead stand up and fight them.

I do think many Muslims are very worried and some very angry about how 'the west' is treating their 'kin' in the various wars we are engaged in around the ME.
Certainly I can imagine a new war in Iran will only confirm the radical views of that minority.
Sadly either way we are probably stuck with a small minority who feel 'justified' in random attacks as per 7/7 and 21/7.

It's worth noting that the only real serious large scale 'riots' that have happened here were indeed those in the early 1980's.
Those riots had nothing to do with any religion were absolutely a reaction to the economic realities pertaining to the people (black and white) and the areas in which they took place at the time.

As for the idea that Muslims have been settled in the UK for 50yrs?
And the rest.......
.....'they' have been here for many centuries (as have just about every other 'ethnic group' thanks to the British history of seafaring trade, exploration and exploitation).

(A history of immigration and links that has the leader of the neo-fascist BNP making laughable statements, when challenged on what 'version' of Britain was so 'pure' and that he'd like to see return, that he claims sometime around the time of Elizabeth the 1st was preferable and to be aimed for!

You couldn't make it up.)

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Odd thing is, out of the hundreds of Muslims I know not one of them houses these thoughts - in fact, many of them are just angry at being treated like terrorists when they have done nthing wrong.

Maybe it is about time, we treat criminals as criminals and innocent people as innocent people. We are here to Deny Ignorance, stop being ignorant by stereotyping.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Maybe it is about time, we treat criminals as criminals and innocent people as innocent people. We are here to Deny Ignorance, stop being ignorant by stereotyping.

You have voted Odium for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

excellent point

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Odd thing is, out of the hundreds of Muslims I know not one of them houses these thoughts

- Which thoughts?
Are you referring to my comments?

If so are you really saying you know of no Muslim people who are upset about the ME situation and 'the west's' involvement there (also seen by many as blatantly hypocritical and self-serving)?

A simple referral to the various community leaders' press conferences, meetings and the well attended demos that have taken place across England and in London should make it clear that a comment like "I do think many Muslims are very worried and some very angry" is not only accurate but fair.

.....and this is news to you yet you say you know "hundreds" of Muslim people!?

- in fact, many of them are just angry at being treated like terrorists when they have done nthing wrong.

- Yup that too. But that is another separate issue.

Just as happened with Irish people during the time when Irish terrorism was happening.

Many Irish people living in the UK hated being treated as terrorist suspects; that didn't mean they didn't feel anger, worry or have any sympathy for the way their 'kin' suffered what they saw as the wrongs of the situation in Northern Ireland.

Maybe it is about time, we treat criminals as criminals and innocent people as innocent people.

- Who said otherwise?

We are here to Deny Ignorance, stop being ignorant by stereotyping.

- I'm not seeing much, if any, "stereotyping" going on in this thread yet.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
sminkeypinkey, it seems to be clear to me and infinite where the stereotyping is and the comments were not directed at you.

Just to clear up the point; I was not saying they are not angry at the U.K. or the situation in the Middle East, however they just do not think going out and smashing things are a good idea. In fact, many of them are heavily critical of these sorts of protests. That was more the point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join